My Saving Grace

Chapter 38

"So, tell me about the presentation. Were you nervous at all?", Antonio asked after taking a sip of his wine.

We were having dinner at Angelini Osteria—the same restaurant we'd gone to for our first "date"—to celebrate the completion of my company project. Like promised, he'd been able to set aside time for us to go out together.

Since our fight last week, which had turned out to be utterly pointless because his industry donors had arrived late themselves to the meeting, we both made more of an effort to spend time with each other in the evenings. Instead of working by myself in our bedroom or living room, I would join Antonio in the office, so we could keep each other company.

He'd also attempted to come home for dinner more often as opposed to staying late on campus to work. I  understood that he probably felt more productive being on campus, but at the same time, I wanted him to myself, even if it was just for an hour or two each day. Besides, food tasted so much better when I had him to share it with.

I met his intent gaze as I twirled my fork in my spaghetti.

"It went well for the most part. Some of my transitions could have been smoother, like when I went from discussing economic and health impacts to ROI. But overall, I think my team was very convincing," I responded.

"That's great to hear."

"Yeah. It was super nerve wracking at first, seeing the CEO and Executive VPs all just sitting there. But then I reminded myself that I knew the material inside and out and had practiced for countless hours," I continued.

He smiled broadly.

"That's the right mentality to have. You're a highly competent engineer, and you know that."

"Thanks." I smiled.

His expression grew thoughtful as he leaned forward in his seat.

"I still remember the presentation you gave to my class that one time. I barely knew you, but I knew for a fact that you were a very compelling speaker. Hell, you could have told everyone in the room to drop out of college, and they'd do it."

I laughed, playfully swatting his arm.

"Okay, I'm not that amazing."

"Believe me, you are. In fact, I totally think you should take on a leadership role down the road."

My eyes lit up with excitement.

"It's funny you mention that. Because I'm actually planning on applying to UCLA's MBA program during our holiday break."

"For real?" He raised a brow.

I nodded.

His face split into a wide grin.

"That sounds like an excellent idea. Is your company going to pay for it?"

"Yup. They offer tuition assistance. I'll probably take evening classes or else they have weekend classes, too. And I'll be done in two-and-a-half to three years."

"That sounds about right. Hold on a sec, isn't the application deadline some time in January?", he asked.

"Shit, you're probably right."

I whipped out my phone from my purse and looked up the deadline for the part-time MBA application.

"January 14th," I said out loud.

He knitted his brows together.

"So, that gives you two weeks after we get back from Minnesota to complete it."

"Yup."

"I think you're forgetting one very important part about your application."

"What do you mean?"

And that's when it hit me.

"Oh my god, I totally forgot about the GMAT." I slapped myself on the forehead.

He chuckled in amusement.

"You've been out of school for too long," he joked.

"No, I'm just stupid. There's no way I can make the deadline this year. I'll just wait for next August then for the application to open up again."

"Sounds like a plan."

I continued digging into my spaghetti just as Signora Moretti stopped by our table.

"How's everything tasting?", she asked with a warm smile.

"Delicious as always, Signora," I replied.

"And you, Antonio?"

"The steak is extremely dry," he criticized.

"Oh, that's unfortunate. I'll let the cooks know." A frown marred her forehead.

Only I caught the teasing gleam in his eyes.

"I was kidding, Signora. It's excellent."

She feigned shock.

"Why, you little rascal," she scolded.

I laughed, loving the relationship these two had. They were practically mother and son.

Antonio smirked then directed his gaze to me.

"Do you think you'll have room for dessert this time, mia bella?"

"I think so. We can share a slice of tiramisu."

"Good choice."

"I agree. And I know I've said this countless times, but seeing you two together makes me so happy. I hope my son finds a wife of his own one day," Signora Moretti said with a hopeful expression.

"Oh, he will. Right now, he's probably focusing on law school," Antonio offered.

"That is true." She sighed then headed to the table next to us.

"How old is her son again?", I asked.

"He's twenty-six," he replied.

"Oh, that's quite young, still."

"Exactly. So, have you heard from Chase at all recently?"

"No, not really. Just a few texts here and there. He's been busy filming for his movie."

"That's too bad. The guy sure is making a name for himself, though. I was online scrolling through the Oscar nominees this morning, and he was in the list for Best Supporting Male Actor."

My eyes widened in awe.

"Really? That's amazing! I'll shoot him a text quick."

I grabbed my phone and pulled up Chase's number.

Me: Hey! Antonio told me you were nominated for Best Supporting Male Actor in the upcoming Oscars—that's incredible! I'm so proud of you.

I even threw in a heart emoji at the end. Regardless of whether he would win or not, this was such a notable achievement.

We talked and finished the rest of our dinner then moved directly to the tiramisu, savoring every delectable bite. By the time we got into Antonio's car, I was absolutely stuffed.

"I'm totally skipping breakfast in the morning," I declared as we began the drive home.

"You always say that." He smiled knowingly at me.

"I mean it this time, Antonio. I can't imagine eating again in—," I briefly glanced at my watch, "—ten hours."

"We'll see about that."

When we arrived home, Antonio went into the office to finish writing the final exam for his class while I headed upstairs to our bedroom. Before I could change out of my dress, my phone rang, and I reached for it in my purse.

"Chase, hi!", I answered.

"Hey, princess. How's it going?"

"It's going great! I just got back from dinner with Antonio."

"Nice. Have you had your big presentation for the project you've been working on?"

"I have. It was today, actually."

"Damn, that's quick. I'm sure you did a great job."

"Yeah, it went really well. It's so great to hear from you. I assume you saw my text?"

"Yup. Thank you, by the way."

"Of course. I'm so excited to watch it now. Not everyone can say they're close friends with an Oscar nominee."

Or slept with one, I mentally added.

He chuckled.

"That is true."

"Are you gonna go to the after-party and everything?"

"You bet. Gwen is super pumped about it. She's gonna be my plus-one on the red carpet," he said animatedly.

I couldn't help but feel a pang of jealousy.

"Wow, that sounds so surreal."

"I know, right? Never in my twenty-eight years did I expect my life to turn out like this."

"But it did."

"Yeah..."

I sighed gently.

"Do you know where I'm flying this Friday?"

"Where?"

"Minnesota."

He let out a breath.

"Where we first met."

"Yeah. I'm visiting family and meeting up with my best friend from New York and her boyfriend."

"That sounds fun."

"Yeah, I'm really excited."

"Do you think that building is still there?", he asked.

I was suddenly overcome with nostalgia and was thankful no one else was in the room. My eyes always betrayed my emotions, according to Antonio.

"I highly doubt it is. But who knows," I replied simply.

He sighed.

"Some of the happiest days of my life were spent in there...with you." His voice lowered. "And one of the happiest nights, too."

My breath hitched in the back of my throat.

"I-I should probably get ready for bed now."

"Shit, did I make you uncomfortable?"

"No, no. It's not you."

"Then what is it?", he insisted.

"Are you gonna judge me?" My voice was weaker than I would've liked.

"Of course not, princess," he said gently.

I took a deep breath before spilling my guts.

"Well, ever since what happened at that bar last month, sometimes I find myself thinking about the night you and I...slept together. Like, I'll just have random flashbacks. I swear, I haven't thought about that night in years, but then you brought it up during our game and..."

It was silent on the other end. I let a few beats pass before speaking.

"Hello?"

"I'm right here."

"Oh, good. I thought I scared you away." I laughed nervously.

"When do you usually have those flashbacks?"

Wow, he was all serious business.

"In my sleep. And I thought about it maybe one or two other times outside of that."

By now, my face was probably as red as a tomato.

"I see."

"That's all you have to say?"

"What else do you want me to say?"

"Actually, don't say anything. This is humiliating enough already."

He expelled a breath.

"Princess—"

"I should go to bed now. We shouldn't even be having this conversation."

"Damn it, will you let me speak?" He'd slightly raised his voice.

I was stunned into silence.

"That night meant everything to me, Sophia Grace. And seven years later, it still does. I don't actively think about it, as should you, but the memory of it will always stay in the back of mind."

"See, you are judging me!"

He groaned.

"No, I'm not. All I'm saying is we both have a right to cling on to that memory because it was special for us. But actively thinking about it is useless because we've both found happiness with other people."

Damn straight, I was happy with Antonio.

"You're the one who brought up the building and that night when I mentioned going to Minnesota! Just like last time at the bar. It's always you," I protested.

"I was being honest at the bar, princess. Trust me, I don't usually screw women in abandoned buildings. And just now, I brought it up because my memories from Minnesota worth remembering are of my father and the week I spent with you. A week which included one night that meant everything to me."

I hated to admit it, but his words were valid. I sighed, rubbing my forehead back and forth.

"You're right. Sorry if I misinterpreted things."

"Don't be. It's mostly my fault as well."

I smiled wistfully.

"You were always the more sensible one between the two of us."

He chuckled softly.

"That's debatable."

I hesitated for a brief moment before speaking.

"Did I made things...awkward between us? Like, just now?"

"I'm willing to put it behind me if you are. And I promise, I won't actively bring up that night again."

"Works for me."

"Cool...And if I'm being honest, I don't think things can ever be "awkward" between us. We're way past that point, don't you think?"

"Yeah. I feel the exact same way. Our friendship is so special and sacred to me."

"We're practically soulmates."

I smiled to myself.

"Agreed. So, how's filming going?", I asked, desperate to change the subject.

"It's going great. We should be wrapping things up early next year."

"Glad to hear that."

"Yeah."

"Well, I should probably get ready for bed now."

"Me, too. I get to wake up bright and early in the morning to shoot a sunrise scene in the mountains with my gorgeous co-star."

I giggled.

"Sounds fun."

"I miss you, Sophia. Way more than I probably should."

"I know. I have that effect on people."

He laughed quietly.

"You definitely do. Sleep tight, alright?"

"I will. I miss you so much, too. Good night, Chase."

"Night, princess. Try not to dream about me."

"Shut up."

His snicker was the last thing I heard before hanging up the phone.

He totally jinxed himself, though, because later that night in my sleep, I did dream about him. But thankfully, it was a very G-rated dream.