Cages

Click here

“Evening,” Emmingway nodded as the new recruit stepped out of the shadows.

George nodded silently, his eyes surveying their location. Immediately they settled on a girl standing on the opposite end of the alley, oblivious to the two men stalking her.

She was beautiful with long, slender legs and a decent sized bust. Waves of long, glistening golden hair cascaded from her head to her shoulders, flowing down her back to end at her hips. Her skin was pale, unnaturally, beautifully pale. She wore a lacey, bow covered white dress that puffed out like a cupcake, her legs covered by white tights decorated by red bows. Finishing the look was a pair of bright red rounded shoes that looked like they belonged on a doll.

No, George thought, those shoes belonged on those dainty little feet. She was a doll. Her face was turned upwards, toward the dark, clear sky. If not for the very, very subtle movement of her breathing, he would have thought his mentor had mistaken a life size doll for their prey. He tilted his head to the side, examining her closely. There was no sign, aside from her skin, that she was what they thought she could be.

“Em, are you sure?” George frowned, crossing his arms.

“No, that's why I called you in. Ya'know, to get a newbie's fresh and imaginative input She was seen leaving the kill site last night. I've been tailing her ever since, but...”

“...She doesn't look anything like one of them.” George finished, but then shrugged, “well, whatever she is, she's not human. She's certainly caught my interest. Stay here as back up. I'll approach.”

“Is that really a good idea?” Emmingway hissed, but George laughed loudly, making the other man flinch.

“She already knows we're here. Don't you sweetheart?” George replied, raising his voice.

The girl turned slowly to face them, meeting George's grin with pale yellow eyes. She place a hand on her chest and gave a small bow.

“The sky is clear tonight. The moon bright. Perfect for a hunt, yes?” asked the girl...no the woman with a young looking face.

George was struck instantly by the ageless youth of her face. He could not make a good guess at her age, but he knew she was not older than 40 but no younger than 18. He ran a list of supernatural being that could look like this, but there were too many to list. Any of the long lived or immortal could look like that, though generally only the really really difficult to deal with looks so stunningly beautiful and...fake.

“What are you?” He asked, taking several steps forward.

The woman was not at all phased by his approached and even offered a small smile.

“What are you, ye who travel through shadows? When I first noticed you I thought you to be another blood sucker. However, blood suckers don't willingly work with the Hunters and I see no collar around your neck.” The woman chuckled, covering her mouth.

“Another? Are you implying that you are a blood sucker?” George asked, taking another, slow step forward.

“I will be whatever you want me to be. You've already made up your mind as for what you will do with me, have you not? I can see it in your eyes. You won't kill me.”

“George?” Emmingway called.

“That's right, so if you'll comply with us and come along willingly, that would be great.” George beamed, earning another chime like laugh.

“But, good sir, you did not give an answer to my question! I was nice enough to give a reply.”

“That was you answer, hmm? Then I, too, am whatever you wish. I will say this, though. I am not a blood sucker. You can rest assured with that. I know vamps don't get along well with anyone, kin or not. I imagine a pretty lady like yourself has plenty to worry about from them,” George said.

“Yes and no. My life is in no danger. It is simply unfortunate that everyone who sees me instantly gets into their mind that...they must have me. You too, think so, yes?”

“Yes. So let me catch you. I'll put you in a beautiful, spacious cage and give you all you could ever wish.”

“Then catch me.”

George lurched forward, his arms spread out wide, ready to wrap them around the young woman. If she was a blood sucker as Emmingway had so feared, she would not be able to escape...but she would have the perfect chance to dig her fangs into George. Not that he cared. He wanted her...needed her. He was sure he could get her and once he had, he would protect her, keep her out of sight, safe, spoiled.

But she was gone, leaving not a trace that she had ever been there but for a cackle in the sky above. Soon that too was gone, only to be replaced by the hooting and laughing of Emmingway. George let out an growl and spun to face his mentor who was howling with laughter and beating his fist against the brick wall of the alley.

“You! You set me up, didn't you!” George yowled in fury, his face red with embarrassment.

“Oh, oh man, she got you good! Oh man!” Emmingway yowled.

George turned away and glowered up at the sky.

“A shifter?” He demanded.

“Something like that. Shifter-Temptress mutt. Not another in the world like 'er and likely never will be. But damn I thought you would catch on quicker! Ha ha ha ha! Oh man, George, you never fail to give me a laugh!”

“For God's sake!” George snapped.

“Well, I thought you'd like to see something even more unusual than you. Mutts aren't too usual these days, shadowling.” Emmingway giggled.

“So, are you gunna catch her?” he asked as George calmed slightly.

“Hell yeah. The hunt is on. I got her shadow, it'll miss her, I'm sure.” George grinned, holding something up for Emmingway to examine.

It was the shadow of a large bird.

“Watch out, lad. Everyone is after her. Having the White Crow in a cage has become somewhat of a status symbol.” Emmingway warned, but that just made George laugh.

“This just makes it all the more fun. Her cage won't be one with bars or walls though.”

“Please, for the love of the Gods, don't say-”

“It'll be my heart.”

“Aaand you still said it.”

“Shut up, Em, let's go.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Just a corny short
The second draft is much longer and will be published with Undeserving.