Status: Please view at your own discretion. Can act as a 'trigger'. You've been warned.

The Beast Inside

Endless Desire Pt. 1

I always had the best of everything in life. My birth was celebrated, yet another Alpha addition to our male ranks. My family was unique in the aspect that males were born as an Alpha, while the females were born Betas. There was no trace of the Omega gene in our lineage, dating way back to our ancestors. I attended the best schools, had top notch nannies, tutors and everything else a person could want. I hated it.

I was not fond of the idea of just being another Alpha. Growing up as I did, I learned that being an Alpha meant you pretty much had the world in the palm of your hands, while Betas got your leftovers and Omegas struggled just to survive. The world was a disgusting place filled with greed, uncontrollable desires, rape and everything else one could imagine. It became that way when the world became too overpopulated with men and not enough women. Scientists had created a gene that could be given to males, that created an internal female organ that could produce offspring in place of women.

The Heat was a dangerous side effect as the result. Omegas were destined to suffer through this once a month, just as regular women had many years in the past. It was what attracted Alphas to them, and allowed their bodies to reproduce. Theory was that the scientists came together with the government and began placing certain hormones into our food supply that reacted with a person's personalities. The aggressive, assertive ones produced a higher amount of the Alpha gene, while the more passive and calm produced Beta and the shy, submissive became Omega. That was just a theory though, as it was discouraged to speak of such things in today's society. It just was what it was now, and we all had to suffer in some form one way or another.

I held a certain amount of pity for the Omegas. A little however. Most Omegas used their assets and allure to make money to survive, whoring themselves out in brothels for rich Alphas. I held a certain amount of respect for those types, because they were fighting back by using what was given to them. It's surprising, but there were some very wealthy Omegas out there. There was always a risk with being with an Omega, for an Alpha. During the time of their Heat, they released an insane amount of pheromones that could attract every Alpha within a mile radius. The scent is alluring, and can make the most aggressive side of an Alpha come out. That is where the rape often comes into play. It's an uncontrollable desire for an Alpha to be around an Omega in heat. Conscious thought is eradicated and all that's left behind is raw, pure animalistic desire to dominate. If an Omega is bitten during this time, the pheromones from that Alpha are inserted into and all over the Omega in question to warn off others. The cycle then changes, so the heat will only occur in the presence of their 'mate'.

Very rarely, a 'Fated Pair' is formed. No one really understands the theory behind why this occurs, but they say it has something to do with both parties pheromones matching each others on a molecular level. This has been said to happen upon even something as little as eye contact, or breathing in the scent of each other's pheromones. It is so rare that it's almost unheard of, but is very popular among everyone due to it's romantic nature.

There has never been a fated pair formation in my family, or in another other Alpha I knew of. I had never heard of it in the 23 years since my birth, and doubted I ever would. It had been a struggle growing up as I did. I had girlfriends of course, but I had never fallen in love with any of them or had ever wanted to take a mate. They were all Betas of course. I stayed away from the Omegas, fearful of losing my mind and hurting someone. I had once witnessed what it was like to be in the face of an Omega during their heat, and I never wanted to be that person.

I wouldn't be so lucky though. I first came across my first Omega in heat a year ago. It was a male that had been casually strolling through the local gardens, enjoying the scenery with a beautiful little girl holding his hand beside him. My first thought had been that he was as beautiful as a flower--delicate with a faintly sweet scent that matched the blooms that surrounded him. His hair was short with feathery layers that framed his perfectly shaped face, the color so pale it could have almost been white. When he turned to the side to show the fountain to the little girl, I could see that his eyes were as clear and blue as the sky, with depths of an ocean. My chest instantly seized up and cut off my air supply. I would never forget that feeling, like I had been sucker punched in the lungs. There was a slight change in the breeze, and I watched an expression of confusion flash across his handsome face. A bead of sweat rolled down near his ear, and I wanted nothing more then to lick it away. The thought was so quick and instantaneous that I dropped my bag I was carrying. Fear was like ice as it licked my skin, nearly rattling my bones.

Those eyes snapped to me and I felt as though someone had shot me. I clutched my chest against the phantom pain, the fear rising. He had gone into Heat, obviously at his own surprise. The little girl could sense something was wrong, and was holding his hand fearfully. He managed a smile and lifted her into his arms. With one last glance in my direction, he turned and rushed off in the opposite direction. The tightness lessened enough that I could focus and immediately all of the predatory, curious eyes that followed him as he wove his way through the gardens to someplace safe. I knew that I shouldn't have interfered that time, but something inside of me was screaming to follow him and make sure he was safe.

Mine.

That word echoed in my head as I had followed him, never losing sight until he finally managed to make it to a safe house. A homely woman came out to greet him with concern, immediately taking the child from his arms, obviously her mother by their matching features. She smiled at the young man, sweeping a hand over his head in a motherly fashion that made my chest tighten up again. Don't touch him, had been my first thought. He's mine, had been my second. The chill swept through me once more, and I forced myself to turn away and ended up running the entire way home. After that, I never saw him again but could never stop thinking about that time.

"How long has it been already?"

I snapped back to the present when I felt a nudge against my elbow. Glancing beside me, I saw my childhood friend, a Beta, staring back at me with concern.

"You okay in there, Leo?" she asked, her voice laced with worry. She often said that I spaced out sometimes without even realizing it.

I glanced down at the homework scattered in front of us. College exam preparations. Forcing a smile, I gave a nod.

"No worries, just tired is all. My brain is turning to mush," I lied, running my hands through my hair.

Quinn said nothing as she stared at me. After a moment of silence, and appearing to accept my answer, she gathered up her papers and stacked them neatly.

"I can see that. We've been studying non-stop for about..." she glanced down at her silver pleated watch, "four hours now."

I breathed out a sigh. Four hours and I feel like I've learned absolutely nothing. The weird space periods I currently suffer from had begun about a week ago. I always had them here and there, but they've gotten worse in the past week. All I could think about was that guy from my first year in College. He had looked no older then myself, but was indefinitely Omega. He must have a pair by now, I thought. It surprised me how irritated that thought made me.

"I'm starved," Quinn announced, rising me from my thoughts as she tossed her long fiery red braid over her shoulder, "Let's find something to eat and call it a day."

We left the library and headed to the Square to find something to eat. Food trucks were always popular on campus.

"You've been thinking about him again, haven't you?"

I kicked a life in the concrete sidewalk and stumbled forward, nearly dropped my bag. My heart seized painfully at the sudden shock of her words and my almost tumble. She snickered quietly as we continued onward beneath the shade of the trees.

"How do you know that?" I mumbled, feeling embarrassed that I was seemingly so easy to read.

She smiled wistfully, her amber eyes soft. "You always get this expression on your face when you space out. It speaks of love."

Love? I stared at her, wondering why the hell I would ever show an expression like that. She just smiled and said nothing more, her eyes sad. She secretly wished for a fated pair scenario, as most women and girls. Betas were never afforded that luxury. Any history of a fated pair was always between an Alpha and Omega. Betas were in the middle, they neither had a heat nor did they react as animals in the face of Omegas. They usually paired up with one another, as they held the perfect balance of all three genes. They could choose who they loved, but destiny did not exist biologically for them.

I placed more focus on finding food instead of thinking of my intriguing stranger. It had been three years since I saw him in this garden, and after having seen me that day, doubted he would stick around.

A strong breeze came through the garden, wafting about the scent of the freshly bloomed flowers. It was nostalgic as I breathed in it, and instantly stiffened. Everything in my body just froze on spot. Feeling fuzzy and confused, I forced air into my lungs and in return caught the faint scent from my past that haunted me.

Quinn stopped in confusion when she realized that I wasn't beside her anymore, and looked back at me. Those amber eyes widened when they took me in, and I could imagine what I looked like to her. Eyes almost glowing, iris' thin black slits and an aggressive posture. Feral.

"Oh boy..." she murmured, looking around to see if she could find the source.

He was here, I could smell him. My heart thumped so loudly and hard in my chest that I thought I was going to pass out. My nerve endings were on fire, everything heightened to a painful peak. My hearing had sharpened that I could pinpoint exactly where he was and that his breathing sounded painful. I cursed under my breath, and covered my face with my hands. He had started his heat again, in the open. I recalled all of those hungry stares, and could feel my canines sharpen with rage.

"Leo, we need to get you out of here," Quinn said from close beside me, and the second that her hand touched me, everything exploded.

I shoved her hand away and bolted into the direction of the scent. Quinn called out after me, chasing me but I couldn't bring myself to stop. My body was on autopilot and I couldn't do anything to stop it. My head was full of thoughts of him, screaming that I needed to protect him. I paused only to look around and a growl rumbled up my throat when I saw a circle of Alphas slowly closing in on a figure sitting on the ground.

His hair had grown long enough that he had it in a tiny ponytail at the nape of his neck, the strands just barely reaching over his shoulder. His skin was flushed and his face was covered in sweat. Everything about his posture shouted that he was in intense pain.

"Hey, here let me help you up," a leery man asked with a twisted smile, holding out his hand. I grit my teeth hard, hearing the popping of a muscle.

He ignored the stranger, trying to catch his breath as a soft breeze played with his silvery strands of hair. When that breeze swooped in from my own direction, his head snapped up. His eyes struck me like lightning and the seizure was so swift that I clutched my chest and held my breath. His expression was one of confusion, but his eyes were full of unadulterated desire. Instinct took over as my legs moved myself closer and his eyes widened.

"Leo, stop!" Quinn latched herself onto my arm and tried to pull me away. A growl lifted from the depth of my throat, a warning. I didn't want to hurt her, but I could feel my self-awareness slipping away.

Those enchanting crystal blue eyes zeroed in on Quinn, darting down to where she held me and thinned. I was startled to hear a low growl coming from his delicate frame, his now colorless eyes on her form. Eyes turned to us and I could feel Quinn tense at the warning, but refused to let go. Some Alphas muttered to themselves and began to disperse, while some moved away but didn't stray too far, watching.

That growl continued, those eyes like shards of diamonds as they pinned my friend. I gave my arm a gentle shake.

"Quinn," I said hoarsely, "let go."

The growling grew louder, a very clear warning.

"But..." she murmured, and I managed to tear my eyes away to focus on her.

Even she was being effected, her eyes on my precious stranger with flushed cheeks. Tears filled her eyes and her grip tightened.

"You can't do this. Don't be like them," she breathed, looking up at me with pleading eyes.

I knew what she was worried about. She didn't want me to be like other Alphas, knowing my own fears. I managed a lopsided smile for her. The moment I sensed his presence, I knew I was doomed. Hook, line and sinker.

"Don't worry, Q. I won't like the others, I'll be just fine," I said honestly, and those eyes widened in understanding. She looked back to the source of the growling that had gone silent and watchful.

"Oh!" she whispered and immediately released me, stepping to the side with her hands behind her back. She was still flushed, but now she regarded the young man with curiosity.

A moan sounded and I turned back to the man on the ground. He was obviously in even more pain then before and the stray alphas were slowly coming closer, testing the boundaries. His pheromones began so strong that I had to plug my nose. Quinn blew out a deep breath, fanning herself as she stepped behind me.

"Oh man," she breathed in surprise, "he's very potent."

I couldn't even bring myself to laugh. I was too focused on the reaction happening in my pants. Before I could pop one, and embarrass myself in public, I darted forward to help him. His head lifted as though it was heavy, and his now sea glass blue eyes softened. He effortlessly lifted his arms as I came in contact with him, gathering his soft and hot body in my arms. He curled himself in to me, clutching my shirt and breathing in my scent. His body seemed to calm as I looked around for a place to go.

"Leo, over there!" Quinn said and I looked to where she was pointing. I recognized the safe house he went to the first time I had seen him.

As I headed in that direction, the door opened as if already knowing and the same motherly woman stood there with a face of worry. Her eyes met mine and she tensed, knowing that I was an Alpha.

"Please give him to me," she said firmly, holding out her arms and I found myself holding him tighter.

"Please let me bring him inside," I murmured, confused with my own feelings.

She matched my expression and shook her head. "This is an Omega safe house. It is not safe for you or us if you come inside."

She made perfect sense, I knew that but as I gazed down at the beautiful man in my arms, I didn't want to let him go. He gave a soft groan and I swallowed.

"I can't," I breathed, sweat trickling down the sides of my face. God, it was so difficult and yet I just couldn't bring myself to release him.

Her brown eyes softened with understanding and acceptance. She asked me to wait and when she returned, she handed the conscious man his medicine and cold glass of water. She instructed me to sit with him on the bench on the side at the side of the building until he calmed down. I don't know how long I sat there, with Quinn hanging around not too close, but paced around on the other side of the sidewalk.

"Is he okay?" she asked, biting her nails with worry.

He had stopped sweating and his temperature had dropped. His breath was deep and evening, signalling that he was resting quietly. I couldn't stop myself when I brushed some of the hair from his face and he made a soft noise, his nose scrunching slightly. I don't think he realized it, but his body responded to my touch by pressing his face into my touch.

"I think he's fine now, just resting. That looked exhausting," I whispered as she crept closer to get a better look at him.

"Oh, he's so pretty," she breathed in awe, tilting her head as her red braid swung down. "He's like a china doll. Good job," she teased with a smile, and I felt the blood rush to my face.

"I'm awake, you know."

My heart skipped a beat in my chest at the delicate, soft sound of his voice. If I could explain it, he sounded like a person who always played a peace keeper. Warm, protective and soothing.

I gazed down at him and saw that his eyes were open and watching me. Now that he had rested, he had returned to his former self, which was completely different from what we had just witnessed. Placing his hand on my chest, he pushed himself upright and glanced at Quinn hesitantly.

"Would you mind giving me some room to stand?" he asked quietly, his cheeks growing rosy with embarrassment.

I watched her eyes widen in surprise before she leaned out of his face and moved back. My hands moved automatically to support his back and legs as he slowly climbed out of my lap to his feet. He gave a tired yawn and broke into a fluid stretch as I moved to stand beside Quinn, forcing my hands into my pockets.

When he finished, he turned back to face us. He seemed embarrassed and a little awkward as he rubbed his arm as though he was chilled.

"Thank you for helping me, and I apologize for..." his brows furrowed, "growling at you," he said to Quinn.

She smiled brightly and held out her hand for him to take. "That's okay! My name is Quinn, this guy's childhood friend."

He returned the smile slightly and accepted her offered hand. Those blue eyes glanced in my direction and I swallowed. I didn't want to be rude and not shake his hand, but I was also very aware that I wouldn't let him go if I touched him again. He seemed to understand as he just smiled.

"My name is Leo," I said quietly, feeling too taunt and stiff standing so close to him. The shade of pink that heated his face was much too alluring.

"Leo," he murmured, testing it out and everything inside of me just released. A deep sigh escaped, relaxing all of my muscles instantly and I felt light. Hearing him say my name with his voice did something strange to my equilibrium.

He didn't seem to notice as he smiled at the both of us. The woman popped her head outside the door and brightened when she saw that he was okay.

"Oh Theo, you're okay!" she whispered, gathering him up in her arms and Quinn gave a snort.

"Leo and Theo?" she said, as the two of them spoke quietly together and she fixed his hair like a doting mother.

I just gave a shrug as she snickered to herself, when both of them returned to us. The woman smiled warmly and took my hand in her own, patting the top.

"Thank you very much for taking care of him. I wasn't sure what to expect, but I see what this is now," she said knowingly. "How very lucky for you both! There has been no record of a fated pairing in this city before."

We all started listlessly back at her, and she gave a hearty laugh. "Come now, why else would you be attracted to each other as you are? If he were just a mere Alpha, you would have mated and probably with child by now," she said, referring to myself and I felt my face go up in flames. Quinn joined in the laughter as I stood beside my 'pair' who very much resembled a tomato.

"Momma, can we come out now?" a small voice shouted from inside the safe house. A familiar head poked around the corner, the spitting image of her mother.

The woman smiled and held out her hand. "Yes, it's safe now my loves."

Laughter and giggling sounded as a couple of children burst free, running around on the grass and gathered beside their mother.

"My name is Rita and I own this safe house with my children," she said with pride, hugging her brood closely beside her. The young girl I recognized from that day rushed forward and wrapped herself around Theo's torso.

"Are you okay now?" she asked softly, her eyes huge with worry and he smiled softly, patting her curly brown hair.

"Don't worry, I'm just fine," he assured, as she smiled up at him lovingly.

Quinn stepped forward with a smile. "It's nice to meet you all," she said sincerely before glancing at me, "we should probably get going now."

I sighed inwardly but gave a nod, and smiled at the woman. "We were kind of on our lunch break," I said sheepishly.

"No problem dearies," she said in understanding as she eyed the college in the distance. "Thank you so much for your help."

She gathered her children and herded them back inside to give us some privacy. Quinn glanced between Theo and I before smiling and just strolled away, whistling as she did so while pretending to observe the flowers.

I turned back to my destiny named Theo and was surprised to find him watching me without a hint of reserve, a small smile on his lips. His eyes positively sparkled like gems in the sunlight. I swallowed and clenched my hands into fists inside my pockets, taking a small step closer.

"I would like to see you again," I said honestly, leaning down so that our hair gently brushed against each other. He seemed calmed by the gesture, his shoulders relaxing.

"You're the one from three years ago, aren't you?" he murmured with a smile, "who would have thought you would catch me again at a bad time?"

His quiet laugh was addictive and I couldn't help but join in. We exchanged phone numbers and made arrangements for a proper meeting for the weekend. When I joined back with Quinn, I realized that I had never felt more light.

I suddenly couldn't wait to see him again.
♠ ♠ ♠
lAuRa <3