Final Move

1/1

A crack of thunder filled my ears as I slipped back into my home, peeling off my wet layers and carelessly tossing them on the floor. The house was still and silent as I wandered down the dark hall, bumping into the last door on the left. I stood outside for what seemed like an eternity, before sighing and gently creaking it open.

I immediately noticed the way the moonlight washed over the master bed that my wife was in as I peaked my head around the door, taking a deep breath and tiptoeing over to my side. She looked so peaceful... so beautiful sprawled out, her dark hair flooding the pillow and I couldn't help smiling as I gazed down at her. Crawling under the blankets, I wrapped my arms around her and felt her warmth envelope me.

“Wha…?” she gasped, sitting up quickly and reaching over to the nightstand to turn on the light.

“I never left…” I confessed, “I sat in my car for the past couple of hours…”

“I thought I told you to leave,” she replied, shaking her head and turning away from me.

Tears filled my eyes as I replay probably the worst fight we had in our entire marriage. My wife’s sobs just echoed in my head as she screamed at me to leave and never come back. I felt her soft hand brush across my face, causing me to look up as tears slipped down her thin face.

“Why didn’t you leave?” She asked.

“I’ve decided to stay, even though you said not to... I still love you.”

“I…I love you too,” she murmured and snuggled into me.