Status: Complete! ❤

Angels & Demons

NINE || WHAT ARE WE?

J drove silently for almost an hour with Quinn sitting beside him practically shivering in fear. She'd always told herself that she was strong; that she wasn't scared of anything. Turns out, when there were mafia men after her while she rode in the Joker's speeding car, she could get pretty scared. She might even call it terror.

She tried to speak to J a couple of times; to try and lighten the mood a little bit, but he'd only given her short cut-off answers, telling her she should probably shut up. So, she took in the silence and prayed to a god that she wasn't even sure she believed in that she wasn't about to die.

Finally, J followed the lead SUV as it turned into a long driveway even further out of Gotham than his other house was. As they approached it, she saw that it was smaller than the other house, but not by much.

"My safe house," J mumbled as he pulled to a stop and got out of the car swiftly. Quinn watched as he went to the front door and unlocked it, ushering his men inside. He looked back at her in the car with an impatient look on his face that he seemed to try really hard to conceal as he walked back to her slowly.

"I'm scared, J," she told him as he opened her door and reached for her hand.

"You have nothing to be afraid of, little one. You know I'll keep you safe. Come inside," he said, and she could almost hear how hard he was trying to keep his voice steady. She knew he wasn't totally used to dealing with someone like her; someone who questioned him and gave him a run for his money when it came to planning and stuff like that. She knew that she was a whole new animal to him, and he seemed to accidentally remind her of that every day. Hesitantly, she took his hand and let him lead her inside.

~~~~~


Hours later, Quinn and J were sitting alone together in the den of the big house. She wasn't sure where the men went at night, but they all seemed to be silent somehow after about nine o'clock, and the silence rang through the house like an alarm.

"What are we really doing here, J?" Quinn asked him, breaking the silence that had been hanging between them for a long time.

"I told you what we're doing, Quinn. We pissed off the mob and now they're after us. They'll forget about us after a day and everything will be okay," he said to her in that voice that always sounded annoyed even though he was obviously trying to force it not to.

"I'm not talking about that," she said, and he looked up from the book he was reading and set it on the end table beside him to give her his full attention.

"Then, pray tell, what are you talking about?" he asked her, and she suddenly felt ridiculously stupid for even bringing it up.

"I... never mind," she whispered to him, flustered.

"No. Tell me what's on your mind," he said, sounding possibly more sincere than she'd ever heard him.

"I just... what are we?" she asked, and he gave her a confused look.

"We?"

"C'mon, J. You know what I mean. What is this thing between us? Are we... together, or am I just... a toy?" she asked, and was surprised when he looked a little offended by her words.

"You could never be a 'toy', Quinn. I told you from the day I met you that I saw something in you, and I wasn't lying. I'm not one to put those silly official titles on things. You know that. But, you should also know that I care about you. I care about you more than I've cared about anyone in a long time. We wouldn't be here if I didn't care. I would have just given you to them and that would have been the end of it. So, as for your question of 'what are we', my answer is simple," he said, moving closer and closer to her across the room as he spoke. Finally, he reached her and his lips connected with hers as he finished speaking.

"I love you," she blurted as their lips parted. Her eyes grew wide as she realized what she'd just said, and she was instantly worried that he was going to tell her to get out. He stared at her for a long while in silence, his eyes seemingly taking in every detail of her face. Finally, he took a deep breath and spoke again.

"I love you too," he said quietly, his crystal-blue gaze locking on to her eyes and holding them. She tried as hard as she could to conceal the shock on her face as she looked back at him. She hadn't known what she thought he'd say, but it definitely wasn't that.

Just as she was about to lean in to kiss him again, there was a crash in the foyer of the house and J was on instant alert. Silently, he pulled one of his guns out of its holster and held it at the ready, quickly handing Quinn the other one. As they stood there, there were voices down the hall and J looked at her severely.

"It's them. Shoot first, ask questions later," he whispered to her, grabbing the back of her head and pulling it towards him so that he could kiss her on the forehead.