Status: Complete! ❤

Angels & Demons

THREE || WE START YOUR TRAINING TONIGHT

Quinn was more surprised than she should have been when a full ten-page contract showed up in her mailbox the next day with a handwritten note attached to it.

"You'll need to sign this before our business can commence. Can't have you running around being untrustworthy, can we? Call when you're ready to start training. -J"

"Training?" Quinn whispered to herself, rolling her eyes and sitting down at her small kitchen table to read the pages.

Half an hour later, she'd finished reading and re-reading the whole thing and was furious. There were so many things he expected from her and so many things she could and couldn't do according to him. She dialed the phone number on the bottom of the last page at once, ready to rip him a new one. She was surprised when he answered the phone using her name.

"Quinn. Read it?" The Joker's voice came through the phone smoothly, and she thought he was probably smiling. He definitely seemed to know she was going to have some things to say about it.

"Yeah. Yeah, I fuckin' read it," she responded, not really able to formulate any other words.

"Sign it?" he purred and she wished he was standing in front of her in person because all she could think about was the distinct urge she was having to punch him right in the face.

"Fuck no, I didn't sign it! Are you kidding?" she yelled into the phone and he gave a short laugh.

"Am I kidding? Do I seem to you like a guy who kids?" he asked her, seemingly amused by himself once more.

"You want me to move into your fucking house? You want to 'train' me on how to do something that's been keeping me alive since I can remember? You want me to cut ties with everyone I love so that you can be sure I'm loyal? I mean, come on!" she rambled at him, trying her best to keep her voice steady.

"I would like you to move into the sizable apartment that happens to be connected to my home so that you're always near if I need you suddenly. I would like to give you some weapons and hand-to-hand combat training in case you ever need it. I would like you to cut ties with anyone who could get in the way of the job. Don't think I didn't do my research on you, girl. I know your parents are long gone and you don't have any other relatives to speak of. The only person you spend time with is that Abigail girl and I told you already that I would give her a respectable job. In fact, if you placed a call to her right now, you'd find that she's about to have an interview at a club as a waitress, and after that interview I'm sure she'll tell you that it's a fantastic-sounding job and the pay is even more fantastic. I've got big plans for you, Quinn. You just have to give me a chance first," he explained to her, and for some reason the cadence and tone of his voice seemed to calm her instantly. She mulled over his words for a good while without saying anything. He waited patiently on the line, and she was surprised that he didn't tell her to hurry up or anything like that.

"How much will you be paying me?" she asked him, echoing her question from the night before. He made a noise in the back of his throat and it took him a minute before he answered.

"The plan is to double anything you get off your marks. So, you manage to steal $1000 in a night, you make $2000 that night," he said finally, and she was glad she wasn't face-to-face with him because she could feel her eyes go wide at his words. On her best nights she could pull up to $5000 going to different clubs and working most of the night. $10,000 for herself in just a night? That was something she couldn't even totally wrap her head around.

"Are... are you serious?" she asked him a minute later.

"I think you'll find that I'm always serious, kitten. Now, are you going to sign the contract or not?" he asked, finally exhibiting the impatience that she was surprised he hadn't had earlier in the call. She really didn't have to think very long before she had an answer for him.

"Yeah. I'm going to sign it," she told him.

"Good! This is going to be good. I promise," he said and his voice was surprisingly soft.

"When do we start?" she asked and he thought for a moment.

"I can have men there to pack and move your things today," he said, and she nodded even though he couldn't see her.

"And we start the con tonight?" she asked and he scoffed at her.

"No. We start your training tonight."

"Fine," she said, and before she knew it, the other end of the phone was dead and the Joker was gone.

"What the hell am I doing?" she asked herself, tossing the phone down on the kitchen table and putting her head in her hands. She wasn't sure if she was making the right choice or not, but she definitely liked the sound of up to $10,000 a night. When she really thought about it, all the other things he'd mentioned seemed okay too. The combat training probably wasn't a bad idea. She didn't have any family to speak of. She was glad Abigail was going to get out of the con. She just hoped it wasn't going to end badly.