Status: feedback welcome

The Heart of the Wolf

One

It was supposed to be a new beginning for Dad and me. He was some big time flashy lawyer trying to get away from the big city so he did what any city person does. Move to the most secluded country place in the world. He had no clue what he had actually done. Or how his choice would affect me. It all came down to being in the wrong spot, right DNA, and being a strong willed almost adult. I was looking for a way out. I just didn’t realize the big mistake until it was too late.
Everyone’s heard of the Native Americans that lived in North American before it was discovered. Many have even heard of the legends; however, most make the fatal mistake of not heeding the advice they gave.

In the southwest, of what is now known as the United States, used to be home to the Cherokee Indians. The legend is that one of their Gods, Mother Wolf, cursed the tribe for disrespecting her children. The Indians had been killing the wolves for game and not honoring it like they should. So Mother Wolf afflicted the worst possible thing she could. She turned them into the very creatures they hunted for sport. Wolves. The tribe was in despair, many were killed by other animals. Mother Wolf took mercy, she allowed them to retain their former human appearances. The catch was that the people would still be forced to Transform into the creatures whenever the urge struck.

Who could have guessed that my mother who died when I was a young girl was a part of the Cherokee Tribe. She probably didn’t know either to be honest. So my blood was cursed and I didn’t even know it until that fateful day I almost died in the middle of Ashford square. Until the wolf broke from her cage and we became one.

SIX MONTHS EARLIER

The countryside zoomed by as we drove toward Ashford. It was a breath taking sight, rolling hills of green with animals of all sorts dotting them. I drummed my fingers against the window, impatiently waiting for the new house to come into view. Dad barked,” You can stop now. You know that’s fucking annoying.”

I threw a glare at him and deliberately kept it up. It was his own fault that I was being like this. You can’t just up root someone after seventeen, almost eighteen, years. Dad’s fingers tightened on the steering wheel but said nothing. We turned right onto a narrow, dirt road. Trees covered the sides, their branches hanging low and dragging against the top of the old truck.

After several minutes along the lengthy road, we pulled up next to a large white plantation house. We’re talking like old Civil War era. I gaped as I observed the place. The porch extended from the front of the house all around as well as the balcony above it. Dad chucked his door open and grabbed a few moving boxes from the bed of the truck. I huffed and swung around snatched my blue duffle bag from the back seat. I unlatched the door and followed Dad into the house.

The front door led to a small parlor which spilt into three different ways: the stairs up, living room, or kitchen. I selected the stairs, taking them at a rapid pace to avoid Dad. At the top of the stairs was a hallway leading to six different rooms. Neat. I poked my head into every room, selecting the biggest with my own bathroom. The walls were covered in a light pink. A four-poster cherry wood bed with a canopy sat in the left corner of the room. A matching dresser stood close by. Dumping my bag on the bed, I turned to inspect the closet.

“Diana.” Dad bellowed from somewhere in the house. I purposely ignored it. The closet I could work with. Next, the bathroom. “DIANA!”

I stomped and screamed back loudly,” What do you want? I’m trying to get settled in.”

Footsteps came sailing up, with a loud bang on my door. “Why can’t you just listen for fuck’s sake?”

I shrugged, even though Dad couldn’t see what I was doing. Why couldn’t he just leave me alone. The pounding continued to my annoyance, eventually forcing me to do the unthinkable. I swung the door open, my blood boiling in anger. Dad’s vein was popping out on his forehand, his fist in mid- pound. “Damn it, Diana. I have to go in to town and I can’t leave you here. So now I’m late. Fuck.
Get the hell downstairs. We have to go.” He stormed off, slamming the door behind him.

I tightened my jaw in frustration, but shoved my feet into a pair of black flats. There was no point in arguing, I wouldn’t win as much I wished I could. I snatched my purse off the dresser, slinging over my shoulder and pinning my red hair to my back. The slam of the front door encouraged me to hurry up before he exploded into yet another fit of anger. I sprinted downstairs and through the front door to the truck. Dad was eyeing me warily from the driver’s seat as I ungraciously plopped down in the opposite seat.

Dad shoved the truck in drive and peeled out toward the dirt road. We stayed silent the entire trip. I kept my eyes on the scenery while Dad did his own thing. I was used to this. Dad was always going somewhere and more than I’d like to admit, forcing me to go along as well. Eventually I stopped the big sign claiming that this was Ashford. Small stores started filtering in as we drove. We ended up stopping at a diner called “Darcy’s Diner”. Very originally I must add.

Dad killed the engine and rushed inside, leaving me barely out of the truck. I rolled my eyes but following him in. The diner was actually pretty nice. It wasn’t very big, but it had a relaxed atmosphere to it. I spotted down at one of the booths at the very back of the building. I sulked over and scooted into the red seat. “Why are we here, Dad?”

Dad grumbled as he scanned the menu. “One of my new clients is meeting us for dinner.” I scowled, irritated that I was caught yet again listening to one of Dad’s boring lawyer lectures. I glanced down at my own menu, brushing my hair behind me. Nothing in particular looked good. I crossed my legs, readjusting my dress over them.

A waitress with blood red lips and a really bitchy face came to our table. “What can I get for you, hon?” She put a perfectly manicured hand on Dad’s shoulder, obviously flirting. Of course, Dad lapped it up.

He smiled at her, showing off his perfect white teeth. “A coke and a barbecue sandwich, sweetie.” I fake gagged at him before giving her a bitch stare of my own.

She glowered back at me before rudely asking what I wanted. “What do you want?”

I tilted my head and with the best innocent voice I could muster replied. “You to get the stick that shoved up your ass out. Oh and a coke with a grilled cheese while you’re at it.”

She was obviously offended and opened her mouth to say so before a man with black hair intercepted her. “Mr. Mark Ellis? I’m John Echos.”

Dad quickly stood up and shook his hand firmly. “Hello Mr. Echos. It’s nice to meet you. This is my daughter, Diana Ellis.” I gave him a small smile before pretending to be interested in my phone. Dad and Mr. Echos sat at the booth behind me which I was thankful for. The hateful waitress brought out the food, slamming my grilled cheese and coke down in front of me. There goes your tip, lady. I rolled my eyes and stared dejectedly out the window. Interestingly enough, a group of boys around
my age were playing basketball in the parking lot. The streets were bare besides them. This sure was a quiet town.

Dad placed a hand on my shoulder, effectually breaking my concertation. “Come on. I’m ready to get going.” The talk with Mr. Echos must have went well if he wasn’t being so snippy like before. I was glad for the change. I stood up and smiled at him. He answered with a smile of his own before we walked out of the diner. Mrs. Bitch Pants looked pissed when she walked to the table and found no tip. I laughed as I sat down in the truck. Serves her right.

Dad grinned, “It’s nice to see that you’ve finally gotten passed your attitude. You won’t make a lot of friends at school tomorrow with it.”

My mood plummeted instantly. I had forgotten about going to a new school.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hello Readers,
I want to take this time to thank you for reading. This is just an idea and I definitely need some feedback. Positive or negative. Either help!

--Butterflywings16