Status: Weekly updates - planning a rewrite for the earlier chapters soon

Wilted

Cape Sundew

James had seemed tense when I stepped into his office for our session. His blue eyes were intense, and he almost glared as I walked in. It was uneasy seeing him without that façade of sweetness he strutted around the halls with; the behaviour I had always known to be fake.

“I heard you discussed our meetings with Dr. Humber.” James stated as I sat in the chair opposite his desk. “What happened to our confidentiality, Katherine?”

“I didn’t discuss anything.” I stated quickly, “I just said I didn’t think you were as equipped to treat me to the same level as a fully trained doctor.”

James rose from his seat and moved to sit on the front of his desk. I felt myself automatically shrink backwards into the chair as he sat, ankles-crossed, a rulers’ length in front of me.

“I thought we’d established trust between us, Katherine.” He was leaning forward slightly now, blue eyes staring into mine.

I glared back, raising to the challenge, but I was quickly feeling smaller in his presence. He smiled as I refused to cower, and the uneasiness I was so used to around him became heavy in my stomach.

“But I expected this from you.” He continued, standing up again and pacing the room. “You do like to make things difficult.”

I shrugged, trying to fill my lungs with air silently. I hadn’t realised that I’d been holding it when he was close. “I do try.”

He laughed, “Yes, you do. You really do.”

James had made a lap around the room. I felt as if I was treading water and he was the shark, slowly pacing, waiting for me tire so he could snatch me as I began to drown and could no longer put up a fight.

“I think I’d like to go now.” I said softly.

James was stood behind me now. “The session has just started, Katherine. I’ve still got you for another hour.”
♠ ♠ ♠
i'm always so tired. i need to learn how to sleep.