Status: Weekly updates - planning a rewrite for the earlier chapters soon

Wilted

Heart Leaf

I was first admitted to Sunnington Mental Health Hospital on 14th of November 2015. My weight had recently plummeted and after a violent outburst had occurred between a nurse and I when on a routine visit to the hospital I had been shipped to here.

My room number was 307, third floor because I was not a suicide risk when I was first admitted.

I was diagnosed with an antisocial personality disorder, though I think I’m just destructive.

I was treated by a doctor, Doctor Humber, and a nurse, Mr. Kelly, or, as he asked to be called, James. Dr. Humber was good at what he did and the cognitive behaviour therapy was working wonders on me. He explained that what I thought was dumb teenage angst and the world hating me was not the case. I started to see the world differently, I started to rewrite my thoughts into something so much healthier and I stopped wanting to destroy everything around me. I was healing.

James, on the other hand, was something else entirely. He was handsome, tall, intelligent, and the thing which haunted my nightmares.

***

Rapping on my door woke me at 9:30am. I groggily stumbled to my door.

“Hi, I’m Rachel! You must be Katherine.” A pale and freckled girl greeted me, with dead straight hair and a slightly plump figure. My new carer.

I signalled for her to come in and pointed towards the chair I had in the corner where she could sit. “Yeah, I’m Katherine.”

I got a glass and began filling it with water, turning to Rachel expectantly once I had done.

“So, I thought we could get to know each other.” Rachel said eagerly, causing me to raise an eyebrow. “Since I’ll be seeing you twice a day from now on.”

I groaned. “Rachel, just give me my meds and leave. I am not in the mood for social interaction.”

She frowned, the bubbly personality dimming a little. “I am your carer, not a medication distributer.”

“And I do not have the time of day for chit chat. Just give me the pills and go please.”

I held out my hand and Rachel thrust the little plastic bag of pills into it. I quickly swallowed them all and drank the glass of water. “See you later then.”

Rachel left without saying goodbye and I locked the door.

When I heard her footsteps became quieter I lifted my tongue and spat all the medication into the bin.

Fuck that.