Status: Weekly updates - planning a rewrite for the earlier chapters soon

Wilted

English Ivy

“Welcome to your first group counselling session at Sunnington. I’m your group leader, Mr. Kelly, but you can call me James. Let’s go round the group and introduce ourselves.”

James was intoxicating when he spoke. His voice was intelligent, a little posh, but at the same time down to earth and approachable. It was like a tall glass of lemonade on a hot day and I think everyone was drinking him up.

I, on the other hand, was more of an iced tea person.

He motioned towards the boy sitting to his left, a skinny, limp haired boy with hollow cheeks and eyes. Anorexia seemed like a solid guess for this one. “Marcus,” he said softly. “Marcus Eren.”

James smiled and pointed to the next one in the circle.

“Eleanor Ribston.” She was slightly wrinkled with frizzy hair. She seemed too old to be an anorexic or personality disorder ridden individual, yet too young for the dementia to drive her insane. PTSD maybe? Schizophrenia?

“Rose Moore.” Said the girl next. She was pretty with red hair that was waved and voluminous like a Disney princess fantasy. Her left foot bounced anxiously on the floor and her nails were bitten down to the flesh. Anxiety seemed likely, and probably a personality disorder. Anxiety wasn’t enough to get you landed here alone.

James finger was now pointing at me. My turn.

“Kat.” I answered, then pointed to the man sitting on my right.

James raised an eyebrow. “Just Kat?”

I shrugged. “Sure.”

He sighed. “This is a safe environment. If you can’t trust your fellow patients with your name, then how can you trust yourself to get better.”

“Simple,” I retorted, “I just don’t give a shit.”

James frowned and wrote something down in the notebook. He pointed to the man on my right and ignored me for the rest of the group session.

An hour after the session finished I was called upon through the speakers.

“Katherine Daniels to Dr.Humbers office”

Fantastic.