Status: Short story

Every Other Weekend

Three

It started as a normal day. Matt and I woke up happily kissing in bed and laughing about things that made no sense.

I rose from the bed at 7, to ready Jason for school that starts in an hour while Matt took a call from Larry, the band manager.

Jason was eating breakfast when Matt walked in, pale as a ghost.

"Hey daddy!" Jason said oblivious to the shock look on his dad's face.

"H-hey buddy. Sleep well?"

"Yeah!" Jason said taking a bite from his cereal.

"Are you okay?" I asked quietly.

"Yeah babe" Matt said with a unconvinced smile on his face. "I have to go to the studio."

"Okay. Eat something first."

"No babe I'll eat at the studio." Matt walked over to Jason and kissed his head. "Love you buddy, have a good day at school."

"Thanks dad" Jason smiled and continued eating. Matt sauntered over to me and kissed me softly.

"Love you baby."

"Love you too. You sure you're okay?"

"Promise."

***

It was a week later when I finally learned the truth why Matt was acting so strange.

I was at work, finishing up the day when a client walked over to me.

Where she was lacking clothes, she made up for it in the amount of make up she was wearing.

"Hi. Are you Ellie?"

"Yeah? May I help you with something?"

"No." she clicked her tongue, "just wanted to see the wife of the man I'm screwing."

Then she walked away leaving me shocked.

I needed to get to the studio so I called Leana, my best friend and Jimmy's wife, and asked her to pick up Jason.

She agreed immediately and I rushed to the studio where I was greeted by Brian kissing Michelle.

"Hey pretty lady. What brings you here?" my sister in law asked making me smile.

"I need to see Matt. He here?"

"Yeah sis. In the music room. Are you okay?"

I shrugged, not sure how to answer that simple question.

"Um..maybe."

I shrugged off my brother and sister in law's confused looks and walked in.

Matt sat on the bench with his arms on his knees and his face buried inside his hands.

I walked inside quietly and frowned when Matt's tear-stained face greeted me.

"What's wrong?" I asked

"I have something to tell you."

He said the same time I asked him:

"Did you cheat on me?"

Turns out the answer I was looking for was not the one I got from him.

I ran out crying, ignoring everyone's questions and Matt's desperate calling to get me to stop.

Inside my car I saw Matt running out and Brian yelling at him but I could not stay any longer.

I needed to go.