The Red Glaive

IX

The ride to New Atmos took a little over two weeks, but a very chipper Aeria barely noticed the time go much to Reimar’s annoyance. Every time they made camp, Aeria would work on her glamour spell and each morning tried to fool Reimar to no avail. Everyone else had been fooled, even when they passed other glaives on patrol they called her ‘boy’ or ‘lad’ even never ‘girl’ or ‘lady’. Aeria began to wonder if Reimar would always see past her glamour because he knew she was trying to fool him. If that was the case, it meant that Reimar was leading her straight into the service the Sisters. She hoped not.

Reimar had also warned her not to use her gift in front of others. Only women were given the gift, he explained. Her glamour would shatter and reveal her for a woman if someone saw her healing. Aeria was fine with that, Madame Salver had taught her to hide it to begin with.

New Atmos was a small fishing village atop a small island at the center of a lake. Reimar had explained that fresh water acted as a natural barrier against the night devils, they could not cross because the water caused them pain. Many small villages, like New Atmos, used this to their advantage and built near water or atop lakes when they could.

To get to New Atmos, they had to take the ferry across. Reimar’s horse and Fable had to wait at the banks of the lake. From a distance, New Atmos looked like a series of floating houses atop the water’s surface. They were all inter connected with a series of bridges.

“Why’d you leave your kid in a place like this?” Aeria said watching all the people watching the old glaive as he strutted with purpose to the tall temple in the heart of the city.

“He has a knack of getting into trouble.” Reimar explained. “I’d rather have him reeking havoc away from where it can land me in serious trouble.”

Aeria paused. The closest she had got to ever having a brother were Ney’s boys. They had always made her laugh. She wondered if Reimar’s son would be like Walther who was the most playful of the lot, always cracking jokes and reveling in the laughter.

When they arrived at the temple a prioress was standing over a young man with her arms crossed and an angry look on her face. The young man saw them approach and quickly stood. He was a tall strapping figure with a mess of brown hair fixed his finely sculpted head.

Suddenly, Aeria was afraid and she couldn’t quite understand why. The best she could think of was that he would see her as she was but even that didn’t seem quite right.

“Reimar,” he said, his voice deep, then gave his father a quick hug. Then his eyes found hers, a deep green like the cypress trees of her grove. “Who’s the kid?” he said turning to Reimar.

“He’s your long lost brother.” Reimar replied quickly.

“What?!”

Reimar laughed. “I’m joking you halfwit. The boy seeks to join the Red Glaive.”

“You too?!” the young man said to Aeria. “I’m glad I won’t go at it completely alone.” Then studying her closely added, “You’re a little small for the Red Glaive though.” making her frown.

“That means you’ll have to look after him doesn’t it.” Reimar said.

“Right you are.” he son said his teeth flashing a dazzling smile. “I’m Caius.” he said holding out his hand to her. The two looked nothing alike. Reimar had brown hair, to his son’s pitch black and brown eyes to Caius’ brilliant green. He must’ve taken after his mother.

Aeria took his hand, so warm and large over hers and said, “I’m Aeri-“ but she stopped herself. She didn’t have a name for the face she wore. Reimar had made it a point to call her by her true name or just ‘girl’ whenever he could and ‘boy’ in public, that Aeria hadn’t thought of a name.

“You’re airy?” Caius said skeptically. Behind him, Reimar had a wicked smile across his face that told her how much he wanted her to fail.

“Ariel.” Aeria said finally recalling the name of a hero from a story told to her a long time ago when her mother still read them stories. “My name is Ariel.” she said shaking his hand. He smiled charmingly and Aeria couldn’t help but hold her breath.

“Go bid farewell to the head sister, we’ve got a long way to go.” Reimar said and Caius rushed up to the frowning prioress. “Your glamor is fading.” Reimar warned teasingly.

Aeria gasped. The magic that covered her seemed to thin out. The person she was trying to be wasn’t interested in men. She was Ariel, the last son of fisherman who wanted more than anything to join to Red Glaive. Her magical veil faltered whenever any trace of Aeria managed to pierce through it. I am Ariel she said in her head and she could feel the magical barrier reform.

Aeria looked back at Reimar cautiously. Once they were in Lux Aeterna Adelaide could help her with the glamour, until then Aeria would have to manage.

A loud thwak caused them both too look up the stairs at the prioress who was beating Caius over the head with a small leather journal. Caius fled before she could do any serious damage.

“Did you pick up any of their white magic?” Reimar asked when they were far enough away.

“Why bother with such trivial and meddlesome magic?” Caius said rubbing spots on his head where the prioress had struck him. “If I need my stockings mended I’ll just get a woman to do it for me.” he said making Aeria frown.

“Did you learn anything of value from your stay with the sisters?” Reimar tried again.

“Yeah,” Caius said. “Don’t sleep with them.”

“I don’t want to know.” Reimar sighed. Neither did Aeria.
♠ ♠ ♠
quick short chapter