The Red Glaive

XII

As they neared the Mollia’s capital, Durmenda, the rains came down hard.

The Storm Lords of Durmenda created the rains with their magic, Caius had explained from under his thick rain coat. Caius had taken it upon himself to tell Aeria what he knew about places after she’d told him she hadn’t traveled much. Reimar rode ahead, the roar of thunder drowning out anything he might’ve said.

Then they got to the Thunder Canyon where thick metal poles protruded from the cliff face. Above, shrouding the skies, low clouds crackled with static. Every few seconds a flash of light illuminated the whole of the Scar before the crack of thunder came. The poles caught the lightning before it reached the floor. This was where the power for the Night Road was generated Caius told her between thunder cracks. It also powered the whole of Durmenda.

The marched on, through the thunder and the roar of the rain, until Reimar suddenly stopped and said, “We’re here!” over the rain. The thick rods of the Thunder Canyon still protruded above them and the backdrop around had hardly changed.

Reimar led them to towards the cliff face. As they approached a cave opening could be seen through the thick rain. Inside, the small cave entrance opened up to massive cave where a bustling market was revealed and the clamor of people drowned out the rain and thunder outside.

Aeria had seen markets before, the one in Duowell was especially large, but to see one thriving in such a place was astounding. Whole buildings had been carved out the rock face on the sides of the cave and every nook and cranny was lit by the small glass bulbs that powered the Night Road.

The liveliness in the cave market was something Aeria wasn’t used to. She realized that unlike the markets in Durus, there were no Aestus slaves being transferred and sold. The bleakness that surrounded slavery was only present in Durus. It was the only territory that allowed it. Seeing everyone without that weight on them was strange to her and further cemented the fact that she was now so far away from home.

“This is the Cek Crevice.” Reimar said noticing Aeria’s awed stare. “It’s a sector of Durmenda.”

“We’re in Durmenda?!” Aeia said. She had heard stories of Durmenda and the magnificent castle built by the Storm Kings of old. Its spires were said to reach the sky.

“We are.” Reimar said. “But the two of you,” he pointed at Aeria and Caius. “Are staying here.”

Reimar rented a room for them in a inn in the heart of the market and instructed the keep to provide food for the two of them in his absence. “I’ll be back in two days.” Reimar said.

“I don’t understand why I can’t go with you!” Aeria complained. She wanted to see the castle. “I am perfectly behaved!” she said glaring at Caius who smiled and shrugged dismissively.

“Exactly.” Reimar said handing Aeria a small coin purse before mounting his black stallion. “Keep him in line kid and stay here.” Reimar ordered before trotting away towards the lift that would take him up to the upper sectors of Durmenda.

“Just you and me Ariel.” Caius said hooking a thick arm around her neck and putting her in a head lock.

“Let go!” Aeria said as she struggling against his grip. “Reimar put me in charge!” that made Caius laugh before letting her go.

“Let’s go.” Caius said after Reimar and vanished into the crowd.

“What? Reimar just said to stay here!” Aeria said but Caius was already waltzing down the street without a single concern for what Reimar had instructed. “Caius!” but he had already vanished behind a corner.

Aeria grumbled and shifted on her feet. Last thing she wanted was to cause trouble, but as she felt in her pocket and found the coin purse missing she angrily said “Damn it it all.” before went after him.

Aeria followed him through the crowd to a seedy bar at the edge of the market. The way he had beelined for the place told her that it was a place he had been to before. Inside, men were being entertained by scantily clad women. Aeria found Caius on a seat by the bar, he was trying to get the barkeep’s attention by waving the coin purse in the air.

“Idiot!” Aeria said loudly over the clamor of people and slammed the tips of her fingers into his side. Caius flinched and brought down the purse low enough for her to snatch.

“Come on Ariel.” Caius said dismissively over Aeria. The barkeep saw him and handed Caius two bubbling drinks. Aeria eyed the drink like it would be the death of her. “We’re going to have a lifetime a servitude and good behavior, why not have a little fun before that.” Caius said chugging down his own drink.

Aeria stared at the foamy top of the drink she didn’t recognize. She had only ever had cider that one time during Adelaide’s wedding and that was it. But that had been ceremonial and especially brewed for the occasion. This was different, this was what men got drunk off.

Caius finished his drink and slammed in on the table. “Just give it a try!” Caius egged her on. Aeria eyed it one final time, it couldn’t hurt and Reimar wasn’t due back for two whole days. She brought the mug to her lips feeling the foam bubble against her skin. She tipped the cup allowing the drink to spill into her mouth.

The awfully bitter taste flooded her tastebuds and nearly made her gag. The expectant look on Caius’ face, however, made her say “It’s good.” after she forced herself to swallow.

“Excellent!” Caius exclaimed. “Barkeep two more!” he said his voice booming over the clamor. Then he turned back to the tavern scanning over crowd. “Now we just need some lovely ladies to entertain us.”

“What?!” Aeria said.

“Wait here.” Caius said his eyes zeroing in on a raven haired woman sitting on a half asleep man’s lap. She had been watching him for a while.

“Wait, Caius!” Aeria said clutching tightly to his arm to keep him from getting away. The woman raised her eyebrows making Caius smile at her before turning back to Aeria.

“Ariel, don’t make me punch you in the face.” Caius threatened hollowly.

“You can’t just leave me here.” Aeria whispered as if anyone of the strangers around them could jump on her at any second.

“Then go back to the inn,” Caius said. “I’ll find you there in a bit.” he said and Aeria let him go.

She stayed there at the bar watching Caius for a while. He took the woman by the hand and moved off the man’s lap and placed her on his own. The woman had giggled sweetly when he did that. He spoke with the woman kindly and smiled charmingly, occasionally he made her laugh and he ran his hand up and down her back.

Aeria watched him. It was strange watching him be so gentle when he had been anything but with Aeria. But it wasn’t Aeria who he loved to tackle to the ground, or strike impossibly hard with his training sword. It was Ariel that he saw. A strange feeling creeped itself into her chest.

The woman leaned in, whispered sweet nothings into Caius’ ear, then kissed him right then and there in front of the whole tavern. Aeria had seen enough.

Aeria left, but when she returned to their assigned room she found it too cold and too empty. Instead, Aeria made her way to the stables where Fable and Big Red each shared a stall. Upon her arrival they both poked their heads out. The stable master had their saddles and bridles hung up next their stall.

Aeria fed an apple to Fable and a carrot to Big Red but the feeling still lingered in her chest. To keep herself from lingering on it, Aeria began to brush the horses, clean out their hooves, clean out their hay and when she finished on the horses she began to oil their gear to keep the leather from cracking.

Everything was nice and clean when a tired Aeria decided she was ready to go to bed.

But when she returned she found Caius, shirtless with the woman from the tavern wrapped around him and second red headed woman frowning at the edge of the bed. “Ariel!” Caius called standing and carefully placing his raven haired woman on the bed next to her friend. As soon as they saw her, the two women began giggling and whispering amongst themselves. “Where have you been?”

“I, uh. . . “ she was speechless. Her gaze shifted from Caius to the two women watching them from the bed.

“Listen.” Caius said leaning close to her. “I really like the brunette, but we can switch if you want.”

“Huh?!”

“I’m bored.” the red headed woman called standing and strutting to Caius and Ariel. “You said your friend was nearly as handsome as you.” she said studying Aeria. “He’s a bit scrawny.”

“Caius may I speak with you?” Aeria said awkwardly and dragging him out the room. She shut the women in their room. “What are you doing?!” she said frantically.

“What does it look like!” Caius laughed. “I managed to get Alga to bring her friend for you.”

“I don’t want her!” Aeria exclaimed red faced. Her hands shook. How could he so inconsiderate? Did he think it was alright to just leave her then bring complete and utter strangers to their room.

Caius watched her then his expression softened. “I’m sorry, I should’ve asked.”

“Just get them out of here.” she said.

“Now, now let’s not do something rash.” Caius said. “Me and Alga clearly have something -“

“So what, you want the room?!” Aeria exclaimed to which Caius shrugged, “You just met!”

“Ariel please!” he said the green of his eyes filled to the brim with hope. That strange feeling returned and Aeria realized what it was.

“Fine.” Aeria spat to prove to herself that she wasn’t jealous. No it wasn’t jealously. She had let him go too easily for it be jealousy. “But you owe me.” she added, but Caius had already vanished into the room closing the door behind him. Aeria sighed. It was best to let him be, but then why did she feel so terrible.

The door opened again and the red head was pushed out. The door was closed after her. She saw Aeria and smiled. “Wanna have some fun?” she asked in strange tone and slowly licked her lips.

“No.” Aeria said bluntly but that didn’t seem to dissuade her. She stood next to Aeria and snaked her arm around her neck. Aeria stiffened and leaned as far away from her as she could.

“How about we just talk.” she whispered into her ear.

“No.” Aeria repeated with the same bluntness as before and gently pushed the woman off her. The woman seemed startled at first but then regained her composure.

“You know, if you have a girl back home that’s alright.” she said, “She won’t ever know if you don’t tell her.”

Aeria eyed the woman with disdain. “Just leave.” Aeria said with such finality that the woman pursed her lips and left with a haughty step.

Aeria sighed remembering how tired she was and with no bed to sleep on. She had the coin purse but it was not enough for a room, so instead she returned to the stable. Big Red and Fable didn’t poke their heads out this time, they were already asleep in their stall.

Aeria grabbed extra hay and patted down the floor for her bedding. Fable rested above her. It was like sleeping in Duowell all over again. Since her journey’s start, she had never felt so alone. Caius was three years older than she was, clearly his priorities were so utterly different. As much as she enjoyed having him around sometimes it was hard when he was around women.

She realized then exactly what that strange feeling had been. It wasn’t jealously. It was longing. An insatiable longing to be looked at the way Caius had looked at that woman, to be touched so gently that it made her spine tingle and her knees weak. All she knew was Dorian Stone and the violence that came with it.

For the first time since she began to cast her glamour she wanted it to go away. She wanted to be Aeria again, if only for a little while. To see Caius look at her as a woman just once. The thought made her laugh. How strange to have such a thought. Caius and her were brothers in arms. Still, she felt safe around him.

But she knew better. The past few weeks she had been reinforcing her old glamour. To cast a new glamour was much more complex and it wouldn’t come back the same. Aeria could explain who Ariel was but she couldn’t explain why he suddenly had a different nose.

The glamour had to stay, Ariel had to stay. Only Ariel could become a glaive. The last thought in her head before she fell asleep was: Aeria could wait.

“Wake up kid.”

Aeria jolted awake it seemed like she had just shut her eyes. They were still heavy with sleep. Squinting she made out a black stallion standing over her. “Reimar?” she said her eyes finally adjusting to spot the old glaive atop his black mount. “I thought you were coming tomorrow.”

Reimar grumbled and dismounted his horse. “Change of plans.” he said. “This is one of your fellow recruits.” he said nodding over to a fair haired boy atop a palomino mare behind him. An instrument Aeria recognized as a Citole was strapped to his back. “You can leave your mare here, it’ll be a tight fit but we’re heading out after lunch.” then he turned to Aeria. “Do I want to know why you were sleeping down here?”

“You do not.” Aeria said yawning and making Reimar grumble again.

“This is your new traveling companion, introduce yourselves.” he ordered and he stormed into the tavern leaving Aeria with the fair haired boy. He climbed off his horse and offered a hand.

“I’m Nikorni Grieppila, but you can just call me Niko. I want to join the Red Glaive too!” he said brightly.

“I’m Ariel.” Aeria introduced herself. It rolled out her tongue so easily now. “This is Fable, he’s mine.” She patted her faithful steed. “And that’s Big Red, Caius’ horse but you’ll meet him later.”

“Good to meet you.” Niko answered. “Oh, this is Queen.” he pointed his palomino mare.

“You should’ve told me I was in the presence of royalty I would’ve dressed for the occasion, your highness.” Aeria said bowing to the mare who shook her head, her long mane flowing in the movement. Niko laughed. Traveling became that much easier after Niko joined them.
♠ ♠ ♠
When I have the time, I'm going to come back and add some of my messed up doodles.