The Red Glaive

XIII

Nikorni Grieppila was a timid boy. He didn’t speak unless spoken to and always smiled kindly when Aeria spoke to him. She found out that he was from Glacies, a territory Aeria had only heard stories about. He quickly dispelled the her belief that it was always winter there. “The great hero Toiko Adekko dispelled the Eternal Winter thousands of years ago. We have seasons just like everyone else, it’s just very cold year round.”

Niko had also studied a great deal of of Mollian history and had a fascination with the Storm Kings of old who built the Night Road and powered it with their thunder magic. Niko told her stories of ancient Storm Knights who rode upon great birds whose wing flaps cracked with thunder and lightning. Now only one thunder bird remained, it resided beside the Storm Lord of Durmenda. As much as he had tried, Niko was not allowed entry into the lord’s castle to see the great bird.

“A Storm Knight guards the king in Lux Aeterna.” Reimar had said noting Niko’s disappointment.

“He doesn’t have a thunder bird though. . .”

Niko had initially wanted to become a sage to study magic but was denied entry into the colleges in both Glacies and Durmenda because of his age. If he joined the Red Glaive he could study magic in the college in Tolero. “I enjoy all kinds of magic, I think many people tend to overlook white magic it can be rather tricky and it works differently than black magic but I can see where it can very useful.” he had said.

“I’ll let you know when I need my water boiled then.” Caius had joked but Aeria paid close attention to Niko after that. If he studied white magic, there was a higher chance that he could see past her glamour.

Niko was nothing like Caius. Niko had asked Aeria if she had been named after the hero of Harmony and Pride which surprised Aeria at first but the more time she spent with him the more she realized how well read he was and liked to study magic. It only made Aeria weary around him. If he practiced white magic there was a chance he could recognize that she had was wearing a glamour. Even Reimar seemed a concerned, he had pulled her aside when he found out and asked her to watch herself around him and gave her time alone every single night to reinforce her glamour.

It was nice to have someone to talk about stories with. When it came to stories, Niko spoke eagerly and they had long discussions as to wether the hero of Design of Glory had the right to trespass into quarantined territory to find the missing prince or if the queen from Wolves of the Forsaken made the right choice in marring her husband’s brother. All the while these debates occurred, Caius rode atop Big Red with a frown.

Caius continued to spar with Aeria when they stopped at outposts and she could feel herself getting stronger, her arms and legs steadily getting thicker. She had yet to win a round against Caius. Niko would sit by the fire watching them, gently plucking the strings of his citole not really playing anything.

One late afternoon at a lonely outpost when Aeria and Caius were having a round, their training swords clashing against fiercely, Reimar arrived from the market and said, “Why hasn’t the new kid had a go?”

Aeria and Caius stopped. “I’m fine just watching.” Niko said sheepishly.

“You’re joining the Red Glaive kid, not some college.” Reimar said taking Caius’ training sword and walking over to where Niko was tuning his citole. “If you can’t fight you’re as good as dead.” Reimar offered Niko the sword. “Now fight.”

Niko eyed the training sword nervously. His brown eyes shifting to Aeria as if to ask for help, but Caius was already rubbing her shoulders and telling her, “You can beat him, bet he’s never touched a sword in his life.”

It was true. Niko held his sword with both hands and hobbled unsteadily with it like a toddler. Aeria smiled lightly to reassure him but she would not go easy on him. Reimar was right. As a glaive he couldn’t run he was expected to fight so he had to learn.

Aeria brought down her sword lighting quick but stopped short centimeters from his neck. Niko didn’t couldn’t raise his sword fast enough to parry her. “You’re dead.” Aeria said making Niko blink a few times. “Let’s try again.” she said stepping back. “Remember to raise your sword even if you’re not sure where I’m coming from.” Niko nodded quickly.

“Let me have a go.” Caius said sauntering over.

“But you’re a lot older,” Niko said exasperated. You’re a lot bigger you mean Aeria thought to herself. Caius was nearly twice her size while Niko was just about her size and weight. It was enough to make the smaller boy falter but Aeria had already grown used to his size and strength.

“You’ll learn better if I teach you.” Caius said coming up to Niko who then glanced nervously at Aeria. Caius had done a lot in teaching her so maybe he could help Niko too. She stepped back.

“Don’t loose your sword!” Aeria shouted back remembering her first match against Caius.

Caius didn’t wait for Niko to raise his sword. Caius slashed upwards, Niko barely managed to parry it but the strength of the blow made Niko’s sword swing back leaving him wide open. Caius stepped forward and swung horizontally across Niko’s head, but Caius didn’t stop like he usually did. The blow of the wood hitting Niko on the face knocked him straight off his feet. He fell on the floor groaning.

“Damn it boy!” Reimar shouted rushing over Aeria right behind him. Niko was semi conscious on the floor clutching onto his face. When Reimar moved his hand there was blood coming out of his nose the bridge of which was already swelling badly.

“I think I can fix him.” Aeria whispered so that only Reimar could hear. He glanced quickly at Caius who stood a few ways off with sword still in hand.

“He’s dense but not completely idiotic. He’ll see you.” Reimar said. “There’s a town about seven miles back, do you remember?” Reimar said standing and picking up Niko. Aeria nodded. “There’s a healer there that can fix him, I want the two of you to stay here.”

Reimar took Niko atop his black horse and sped out of the outpost. The sun had began to set when Aeria rushed Caius and exclaimed “What’s a matter with you!” as she shoved him.

“What?” Caius said innocently.

“You knew didn’t know how to defend himself and you didn’t hold back! Not even a little!” her face fumed. Niko had become just as much her friend in the short weeks she knew him just as Caius had.

“He deserved it.” Caius said making Aeria balk and stare at him. Her unnatural red eyes demanding an explanation. “People like him think they do whatever they want.” he tossed his training sword aside.

“What?!” Aeria said exasperated.

“He’s a baron’s son Ariel.” Caius said his green eyes stormy. “A baron’s son that wants to use the Red Glaive to further his own goals. He’s never worked a day in his life now all of the sudden he thinks that just because he read a few stories he can suddenly join the Red Glaive. It takes dedication to be a glaive, I know because I was raised to become one from the moment I could pick up a sword. Me and you, we have to prove ourselves everyday because we don’t have a family name to carry us through. He comes with his ridiculous. . . music. .thing and just expects to join the Red Glaive so can get into a college, and he’ll get in too because, again, he’s a baron’s son. That just pisses me off.”

Aeria was speechless. It wasn’t Niko who he was mad at but he had been the most direct target. “You’ve barely said two words to him and you think you can judge him?” Aeria said fury in her eyes. “Funny how he whole heartedly accepts you and me without ever questioning where we come from or whose womb we managed to slip out of, but here you are judging him. We all want to be glaives and once that happens there won’t be no peasants or lords or sons of barons. We will all be equal brothers of The Red Glaive!” Aeria said storming away then stopping herself and coming back. Caius flinched perhaps expecting her to hit him but instead she said, “and it’s called a citole, Caius.” she finally said and walked away leaving Caius to mull over his actions.