The Red Glaive

XV

Lux Aeterna was a smaller city than Duowell and surrounded on three sides by the ocean. What it lacked in size it made up for in luxury. While there were many slums in Duowell, there were none - as far as Aeria could tell - in Lux Aeterna. Every building was made sturdy with stone and roofed with waterproof shingles. The streets were well kept and were lit by the same lights that powered Durmenda and the Night Road.

The great white castle, The Ivory Bastion, could be seen from any location in the city. Its tall spires defying gravity itself.

“This is the Shrine of the Seven Sisters.” Reimar said atop Big Red as they walked past a a stone building with a domed top. The cobblestone streets were filled with people as the group marched on towards the castle. “I’m not entirely sure what sect this one is though. . .”

“This one is the House of Devine Temperantia, the oldest sect!” Niko said excitedly. “Just imagine the tomes they have in there.” Niko said looking at the shut doors forlornly. “Do you think they’ll let me use their library?”

“Sorry kid, only healers are allowed inside their halls.” Reimar said while glancing quickly in Aeria’s direction.

“Then why are you showing us this?” Caius asked walking beside Reimar. Reimar’s prosthetic prevented him from walking long distances and Caius had offered Big Red just as they entered Lux Aeterna.

“So that you stay as far away from the sisters as humanly possible.” Reimar said striking his son upside the head making Niko laugh. Aeria watched Reimar closely and understood that he was showing her where to go.

The continued on, heading straight for the castle. As they neared it it only seemed to increase in size to the point where the massive castle towered over them all. Niko seemed equally awed by The Ivory Bastion while Caius pretended to not be impressed. Occasionally, he would glance up the towers wide eyed at their impossible height.

When they got to a small building next to the castle walls Reimar said, “This is the recruitment office.” then got off Big Red and handed the reigns to Caius. “Go inside and tell them that Reimar recommended you. They’ll give you shelter until Recruitment Day.”

“You’re not coming with us?” Niko said.

“I have to take Ariel to see some family.” Reimar said.

“Wait, Ariel?” Caius said standing by Aeria’s knee. He looked up at her on Fable. “You’re not coming with us either? After everything. . . I thought we were doing this together.”

Aeria looked at Reimar who was watching her intently. “We are.” Aeria promised. “I’ve just got some some things to sort out before hand. I’ll join you in a few days.” Aeria smiled but Caius sighed uneasily.

“We have your word right?” Niko said Aeria nodded. “See Caius. He’ll be back, Ariel won’t break his word right Ariel?” he turned form Caius to Aeria.

“I swear I’ll come back.” she said firmly. Even if she couldn’t fool Reimar, she would find a way into the Red Glaive.

Caius and Niko left their horses tied to a post outside before stepping into the office. Caius looked back once, he didn’t seem convinced so Aeria smiled softly to reassure him. He entered the office after Niko unconvinced.

“Do you know where your sister lives?” Reimar asked once the door was shut behind them.

“She married Duke. . . “ the name escaped her. “Duke. . .Lanroth. She married Duke Lanroth and they live here in the city.”

Reimar scoffed. “Lanroth. Useless pile of shit that one is. Only concerned with his wealth and appearance.”

“Sounds like a perfect match for Adelaide then.” Aeria laughed.

“You’ll find his house down that road.” He pointed at a narrow road away from the office. “About fourteen blocks, it’s the big green house with a peacock on it.” Aeria nodded and squeezed Fable with her heels. “Hey kid.” Reimar called. “You have two weeks before Recruitment Day. I’ll be staying in that tavern.” he pointed at a brightly light building a few ways down the path. “Don’t forget to present yourself to the Sisters, you’ll probably be staying with them for quite some time.”

“I thought you had more faith in me Reimar.” Aeria teased and Reimar grumbled before walking away towards the tavern.

Aeria urged Fable towards the small street Reimar had told her. The clamor of people slowly died down as she entered a residential neighborhood where all the homes were massive multi storied mansions. Finally, she came across the mansion Reimar had said. It was hard to miss. It was the largest in the neighborhood and the brightest colored. A great peacock with a multi colored tail was carved into the great metal gates at lined the perimeter. As Aeria approached a guard came up to her and stopped her.

“Only invited guests are allowed to enter,” he said clutching a long spear in his hand.

“I haven’t an invitation, but I must speak with Adelaide Finch.” Aeria said the guard stared at her confused.

“You mean the Duchess of Lonroth?” he corrected.

“Yes, the Duchess.” Aeria said the word sounding so foreign. “I have a message from her sister.” The guard didn’t budge and waited expectantly. “Just tell her that there are no more mops nor brooms for the knights to protect the princess.” The guard stared at her with an unamused expression on his face. “She’ll know what it means.” Aeria said.

The guard left, then a short while the metal gates opened and he stood on the other side with a two other guards. “He’ll take your horse lad.” the first guard said then led her towards the large house after she had dismounted.

He walked her into a large foyer, “She will be with you shortly.” he said before leaving Aeria alone, his steps echoing in the massive empty room. Twin staircases lined both sides of the room with a massive marble statue of a nude woman between them. Upon closer inspection, Aeria found the statue was of her sister, her eyes were shut and her hands rested delicately on her her chest. Lining the walls were numerous portraits of Adelaide some in poses so sensual the made Aeria blush.

A door upstairs opened, and the sound of party escaped into the foyer before it vanished when the door was shut. The soft clicking of heels made Aeria back away form the portraits.

“Walther? Have you finally come to me?” her soft voice rang in the hall. She stopped dead in her tracks when she the dark haired boy standing by the staircase.

Adelaide was as stunning as Aeria remembered her. The light brown of her long wavy hair framed her face perfectly and highlighted her full pink lips and hazel eyes. Her high cheek bones gave her a look of dignity Aeria could never hope to achieve. Adelaide was the most beautiful of her sisters and now more than ever, Aeria felt inferior to her. But it didn’t matter anymore. Aeria wanted, more than anything, to be Ariel. His looks didn’t matter.

“Still pining after Walther I see.” Aeria said with a small smile. Adelaide blinked a few times.

“Aeria.” she breathed out and rushed down the stairs to embrace her sister.

It had been nearly three years since Aeria had seen her eldest sister and, despite their constant bickering, Aeria was glad to see her again. She didn’t expect to cry, but she did. So did Adelaide.

“Aeria I’ve missed you!” she said hugging her tightly.

“I did too.” Aeria said finally pulling away.

“Oh.” Adelaide said. Then glancing at her younger sister. “What did you do to your hair?” making Aeria laugh lightly.

“I tried to cast one of your glamours.” Aeria explained. “Like you said, make the lie more convincing and all.” Aeria had cut her hair as short as possible when she left Duowell but now it grow just past her shoulders.

“You cast a good one,” Adelaide said. “For a moment here, I almost didn’t recognize you.”

“But you did see me.” Aeria said exasperated. If her sister could so easily see her, surely so could any other trained glaive.

“Of course, it’s me you were trying to fool.” she said with an arrogant smile. Then took a sip of her tea. “Tell me Aeria, why are you here?” Adelaide asked. “Did something happen back home?” she gasped the worst of thoughts running through her head. “Did something happen to father?”

“No, no, everyone is fine.” Aeria said before telling Adelaide everything. They had moved into the library and Adelaide had sent for tea before Aeria poured everything out.

About how steadily the people were starving and the marriage her father had arranged. She skipped Dorian Stone’s attack, just the fact that he was to be her husband was enough to horrify Adelaide. Aeria told her about the journey south, with Caius then Niko and some of the awkward and wonderful moments she had shared with them. Then Aeria told her about Reimar and the conditions he had given her.

“The Red Glaive?” Adelaide said skeptically. “Why The Red Glaive? Why not just join the Shrine of the Seven Sisters you’re a healer after all?”

“I can’t Adelaide.” Aeria said. “I can’t commit to that kind of life, hiding away in some temple afraid.”

“But you’d be helping others, isn’t that what you like to do?”

“What good is a healer who remains locked behind a temple wall?” Aeria said. “I need to be out there, defending those in need and healing those who need it most. I can do that in the Red Glaive.” By quelling the fear in others she hoped to quell her own.

“But you can’t expect to stay a man forever?”

“Not forever.” Aeria said. “Just until I complete my training then I could travel where I please. I’d be free, and no one could stop me, I’d be a glaive! Adelaide, please help me.”

Adelaide stared at the cup as if seeing something Aeria couldn’t. “You were always the craziest of us all. I remember Madame Salver, her face, each and every time when she saw you covered in mud, not even Aget could get that way.” she laughed. “I couldn’t imagine you in this kind of life either.” she paused and looked at Aeria. “I can’t make your choices for you, if this is really what you want, what you truly want, I will do everything in my power to help you.”