The Red Glaive

XVII

Adelaide had explained the magic she had done. She had imbued the stone in such a way that when Aeria wore it, the world would see Ariel, unless they already knew it was really Aeria. When she removed it, she could be Aeria again. She warned Aeria to keep it safe when she wasn’t wearing it because the spell was so powerful someone else could take it and wear Ariel’s face with it.

Like every long lasting spell, she would have to charge the spell once a month, but since the foundation had been so strong, all Aeria had to do was place it in the waters of the Silver Oasis every full moon. She also told her that while the Silver Oasis was the most potent, the spring ran under the whole of Lux Aeterna and that the Shrine of the Seven Sisters also tapped into it deep within their catacombs, as did the Holy Sept, and the College of Tolero. She had even given Aeria a map with all the locations and a lunar calendar to keep her from forgetting.

Aeria attached the pendant to her mother’s medallion and Adelaide let her have some of her servant’s clothing and then presented her to her husband. Duke Lonroth had been fooled, but he was easy. It was Reimar who was going to be the challenge.

Aeria climbed atop Fable by the gates.

“If you need anything. You know where I am, you come straight here.” Adelaide fretted like a mother making Aeria laugh. “Alright?”

“I will.” Aeria said smiling brightly. “I promise.” and Adelaide let her go. It seemed like the start of her new life though she still had one more obstacle.

Aeria arrived when the tavern was brightly lit and the people inside had grown rowdy. Dismounting Fable and tying him to the post outside, Aeria couldn’t help but eye the Recruitment Office down the street. Caius and and Niko were there getting ready with all the other recruits for Recruitment Day. She wondered how they were and wanted nothing more than to join them. She was surprised by how quickly she had began to miss them. She’d see them soon, she resolved clutching onto the pendent and medallion around her neck before tucking them under her shirt.

Stepping into the tavern, the voices of the people were even louder inside. They nearly drowned out the small group of musicians playing in the corner. The barkeep was busy when Aeria approached but he nodded acknowledging her as he attended other guests down the bar.

“What it’ll be kid?” he asked when he was done.

“I’m looking for a man named Reimar, he was staying here.” the barkeep grumbled and pointed at the corner of the tavern where Reimar could be seen napping in a both, the hood of his black uniform over his head.

Aeria’s heart pounded. This was it, if she could fool him, then he had no choice but to allow her to join the Red Glaive. Standing at the edge of the table, Reimar didn’t notice her. She kicked his boot and Reimar grumbled and turned to look at her then adjusted his position. “I’m not in service kid, find yourself another glaive to rescue your momma, or fetch your sheep, or whatever pointless task you want.” he said from under his hood.

Aeria smiled. “I heard you were in need of a good horse.” she said taking a seat opposite to him.

“A horse?” Reimar said skeptically. “I just got one issued to me from the glaive stables. I doubt you could do any better boy.” Aeria sat quietly, grinning at him like a fool. He had ever only seen Aeria, her first glamour failing to fool him. He now saw her as Caius and Niko did, as Ariel. Reimar shifted uncomfortably. “Listen kid, if you’re just going to-“

“You should really see my horse.” Aeria blurted out.

“Are you deaf? I don’t need a horse.”

“Oh, you really need to have a look at him.” she said making Reimar finally spit out an irritated ‘fine’ and followed her out the tavern.

“If you plan to rob me boy, you’ll have a poor time doing so.” Reimar said climbing down the steps, “I don’t have-“ he stopped when he saw Aeria walk over to Fable. “Where’d you get that horse boy?”

“He’s mine.” Aeria said proudly. “His name is Fable.”

The pendant around her neck burned as Reimar looked from Fable to her then back again until finally the stone cracked and Aeria knew he finally saw her. Adelaide had warned her that the stone would crack if someone figured her out. It would heal itself over time, so long as if no new cracks appeared during the healing process.

“Aeria?” Reimar whispered cautiously.

“Does this mean I pass?” Aeria said smiling brightly.

“You still have to stay with the sisters.” Reimar grumbled.

“I know.” Aeria said, she had planned on joining them after spending time with Adelaide. She’d have to go their shrine soon. “But I can join the Red Glaive now.”

Reimar took her to the Recruitment Office himself.

The office was very much like the small office in Duowell. Except that this one, had a door behind the desk which the glaive officer sat behind. When they entered he recognized Reimar immediately.

“Reimar!” He greeted standing from his desk and coming up to him to shake his hand. “I didn’t think I’d actually get to see you during your stay, I have to stay the two you left with me are doing fantastically. The seem more than ready for Recruitment Day and I have no doubt they will get chosen.”

“Excellent.” Reimar said. “I’ve got one more recruit for you Balint.” Aeria eagerly stepped forward.

Balint examined her closely and Aeria felt the stone heat up around her neck. His beady eyes closed in on hers until finally he said, “At least he’s slightly bigger than the Glacies boy you brought me.” laughing in between. The stone cooled. “And those eyes will strike fear into any knight who think it amusing to jest a glaive.”

“My name is Ariel.” Aeria said proudly.

“Ariel, well I’m glad you decided to join the Red Glaive. Recruitment Day is in a few days still.” Balint said walking back to the door behind the desk. “But you can stay with the other recruits till then.” he said slipping a key into the door.

Aeria glanced back at Reimar, only briefly, before stepping in after Balint into the narrow hallway.

“We’re 20 minutes to lights out, so you can join the recruits are in the den.” Balint said as led her to a wide room filled with young recruits. The room was packed with eager faced young men, who turned watched her when she entered. The stone around her neck grew warm. “You really should’ve come early if you hoped get a bed,” Balint said handing her some blankets. “Find a spot on the floor for now, Recruitment Day is only a few days, those that make it will be moved to The Red Glaive Training Center.”

“And if they don’t?” Aeria asked holding the heavy blankets as Balint piled on sheets and a pillow.

“They come back here for a few days while they decide if they still wish to pursue a Glaive’s life or if they wish to swear fealty to a lord and become a knight instead.” Balint explained while Aeria eyed all the strangers in the room wondering how many would switch to pursue a knighthood instead. It was a more lucrative and prestigious route. “But you ain’t a quitter right Ariel?”

“Not at all!” Aeria said cheerily.

“That’s good.” Balint said, then added, “Breakfast is at seven, good luck.” before shutting the door and leaving Aeria in the room full of strangers. Most had stopped paying attention and had settled into their bunks. Others however, still stared, and the stone around her neck still radiated warmth.

One of the boys on the bunks closest to her stood and causally walked over to her.

“oh, hello I’m Ariel.” Aeria said awkwardly holding her stack of blankets and pillows making him smile.

“Thanks Ariel.” he said taking her pillow.

“That’s mine!” Aeria shouted after him but could only look so tough holding her blankets. She feared that if she let those go someone would snatch those too.

“What are you going to do about it?” he said smugly before laying on it on his bed. The others looked nervously at Aeria then back at the recruit not doing anything. Aeria debating pummeling him, wondering if she could take him, he was only slightly bigger than her and not nearly the size of Caius.

“He doesn’t have to.” Aeria recognized Caius’ voice from behind the crowd of recruits, which parted to allow Caius and Niko to pass forward.

“Ariel!” Niko greeted in his usual cheerful demeanor. He quickly walked over and gave Aeria a hug in spite of the thick blankets in her arms.

Caius had stopped next to the bunk with the rude recruit whose face had gone pale and he lay stiff on his bunk. “Telfer.” Caius said sitting on the bed casually. Telfer lay still as if not moving could somehow alleviate the situation he had put himself in. “I thought I thought I told you to leave my friends alone.”

“I- I didn’t know.” Telfer stammered adding “I’m sorry, I’m sorry.” and quickly handed him Aeria’s pillow.

“Atta boy.” Caius said taking the pillow then walked over to Aeria with a smile. “What took you so long Ariel?”

“We saved you a bunk!” Niko chimed and led them all the way to the back of the room, where sure enough a nice clean bunk had been spared for her. Aeria took the bottom bed and settled in, while those who had to sleep on the floor eyed her enviously.

“So where did you go?” Caius asked. “Had to practically fight off half this room for you to keep your bed.”

“Sorry.” Aeria said sheepishly. “I was visiting my sister.”

“Sister?” Niko said. Suddenly the stone around her neck grew warm. “I thought you only had an older brother.”

Aeria paused. He was right. Ariel was the second son of a fisherman. His older bother would inherit the fishery so Ariel was to join the Red Glaive. He didn’t have any sisters, but he had to now. “Yes.” Aeria said thinking quickly. “I only have a brother and I only have a sister. One of each.” But Niko didn’t seem to convinced. The stone remained warm.

“You should’ve told me you had a sister in town!” Caius piped in. “More importantly, you should introduce us.”

“Calm down Caius.” Aeria laughed but she still didn’t seem to shake Niko who watched curiously. “She’s married, and we were never that close. I was hoping to see if we could mend our relationship while I was here. . .” the stone cooled. “We’re working on it.”

“Well, you’ll have a few years once you get through Recruitment Day.” Niko said climbing on the bunk atop Caius’.

“Don’t remind me.” Caius groaned and laying flat on his bed.

“You’ll pass without a doubt.” Aeria said. The way everyone looked at him in respect told he’d have no problem getting selected. It had to do with more than just his size.

“It’s not that.” Caius said. Both Niko and Aeria stared at him. All he ever spoke of was joining the Red Glaive, now suddenly he had cold feet? “It’s just that, we’re here in the crown city and we haven't done anything.”

Niko laughed while Aeria rolled her eyes. “You got something in mind?” Niko asked.

It was Caius’ smile that made Aeria say, “Not again.”