The Red Glaive

XVIII

The bugle sounded throughout the courtyard marking the beginning of Recruitment Day. All the recruits had gathered along with the glaives who had recruited them. There were few glaives and none had brought less than seven recruits with him. Aeria, however, wasn’t paying attention them. She couldn’t focus. Her head felt light and her eyes where closed behind a shielding hand. The lack of sleep made her felt like she was in a dream.

The nights leading up to Recruitment Day Caius had gone out and found the seediest tavern in all of Lux Aeterna and dragged both Aeria and Niko along. Caius had gone out like it was his last night alive and drank and enjoyed the company of less than reputable women. He had urged Niko to join him, but he had proved to timid. Then turned to Aeria who quickly shut him down. Niko and Aeria had become his baby sisters, watching him from a distance to make sure he didn’t get in trouble.

This all culminated on the night leading up to Recruitment Day where Caius spent the majority of the night heaving gallons of rum outside the Glaive office while they watched over him. Even after, she and Niko had put him to bed, Aeria watched him as he slept to make sure he spewed out what remained in his stomach into the bucket Niko had placed by his bed and so he didn’t accidentally roll onto his back.

So Aeria was less than thrilled have to go through Recruitment Day in the sleepless state she was in. She took solace in the fact that Caius was in even worse shape than she was.

They unhappy trio had situated themselves under the only tree in the courtyard. Niko sat on the wall and gently strummed his citole as if deciding what to play, he had had the most sleep of the three. Aeria stood leaning against the tree trunk, her hand covering her eyes so that on could see she was half asleep. Then Caius, lay flat on his back on the floor snoring loudly. They were the only group without the glaive who had brought them there.

“Good morning recruits!” the glaive on the pedestal said. Aeria peeked through her fingers. “For most of you, this is the morning that begins the rest of your lives.” At her feet she could hear Caius grumble and Aeria shut her eyes again content to just listen.

“I leave you alone for a few weeks and this is how I find you?” Reimar’s voice made pull her hand away form her face. Reimar stood before the pitiful group in a fresh black glaive uniform. A series of papers was held carelessly in his hand.

“You’re late.” Aeria remarked noting how early all the other glaives had arrived.

“I had some papers to fill out.” Reimar said holding out the sheets, then kicked Caius’ foot. “Get up boy.” Caius groaned, but did as he was told. Then turned to Aeria and asked, “Do I want to know?” to which Aeria shook her head. “Here’s what’s going to happen.” Reimar started. “They’re going to call you out by groups, I will hand over my reports before our turn then you will be interviewed by a glaive committee. You’ll be asked some questions then they’ll decide if you’re Red Glaive material.”

“What kind of questions?” Niko asked putting aside his citole. Asking the question Aeria was going to ask.

“I’m not supposed to coach you, your answers are supposed to come from the heart,” Reimar said. Aeria glanced at Niko nervously. She didn’t come all this way just to answer a stupid question wrong. “Don’t worry.” Reimar reassured. “It takes a complete and total dunce to fail.” he said glancing at Caius who wretched behind the tree Aeria stood next to.

The day was long waiting for all the groups to go. The largest of seventeen had gone first and took well over two hours to get through the lot. Of all the young men that entered the hall, about a quarter came back. By the time it was their turn the sun was beginning to set and Aeria felt well rested from the long nap she had taken. Niko had himself a shorter nap and was fiddling with the strings of his citole when Reimar came to get him first.

Niko glanced anxiously at his friends before rushing up to join Reimar.

“He’ll make it.” Caius said decidedly. Aeria watched him closely, remembering his initial disdain for the fair haired boy. They had grown close in the weeks of leading up to this very day. Then he turned to her his green eyes locking into her red startling her. “You’ll make it too.” he said that fiery determination burning in his eyes. “We’ll do it together.”

“Together.” Aeria agreed. It seemed strange now to continue on without them.

A short while later Reimar came back and called Aeria forth. Aeria glanced at Caius who nodded curtly reassuring her before following Reimar into the hall.

There was a small antechamber with a black and white tiled floor. It was eerily silent except for the soft rush of water from the small fountain on the wall.

“On the other side you’ll find the elected glaives that will ultimately decide if you join or not.” Reimar said in a hushed voice. Suddenly Aeria found herself nervous. This was it. “Join or not, we had a deal.”

“I know,” Aeria said quickly. “I still haven't gone to the sisters.” Aeria said honestly in a quiet voice, though she doubted there was anyone around to hear. “But I will after today like I promised” Aeria said.

Reimar watched her quietly. If she wasn’t mistaken, she could’ve sworn his face was beaming with pride. “You reminded me of your father just then.” he said making Aeria blink.

“My father?” Aeria questioned. “You knew my father?”

The doors to the antechamber opened and a servant emerged. “They’re ready for you.” he said and motioned Aeria forward. But Aeria wanted nothing more than to stay with Reimar just a bit longer. He and her father were nearly of the same age, so it made sense that they served at the same time. She never expected them to have met though, let alone know each other. There were a thousand questions she wanted to ask him about the life her father refused to talk about.

“That is a story for another time.” Reimar said. “Go.” he urged Aeria forward.

There were three old glaives sitting behind a long table. The stared indifferently at the papers strewn about the table. Aeria stood before them for a while until the sound of the antechamber doors closing behind her finally drew their attention to her. The stone burned uncomfortably at her chest. The three were putting her under intense scrutiny without saying a single word.

“You’re one of Reimar’s recommendations correct?” the one on the far left said.

“Yes.” Aeria said and she felt the stone cool to a bearable heat. “My name is Ariel.”

“Are you good with a sword? Ariel?” the middle glaive said asked.

“I like to think I am.” Aeria said honestly. She was better than Niko and could actually last a good while against Caius before he defeated her in their duels.

“And what experience do you have with magic?” the glaive on the right said. His old beedy eyes stared back her accusingly and the stone began to heat around her neck again.

“My father didn’t know any magic, he was a fisherman but my mother was very adept in white magic. She taught me all I know.” Aeria said.

“White magic?” the glaive on the right leaned closer. “That is interesting, what sort of magic did she teach you in that field.”

“Simple things.” Aeria said, she had to be careful. “charms, talismans, simple spells and callings, and how to brew simple medicinal ointments and draughts.” It seemed to be enough as the glaive leaned back with a small nod.

“Have you encountered a Night Devil?” the last glaive on the far left said.

“I have on the way here a few times.” Aeria replied.

“The kid possesses a reckless compulsion to rescue those in danger without regard for self preservation.” the middle glaive recited from the paper in front of him. “Came between a Night Devil and its victim and blindly charged a horde of spawns after they unhorsed me on another occasion. To disregard him for the Red Glaive would be one of the asinine things you old vultures could think of doing.”

Aeria held back a laugh. As the old glaives stared accusingly at the glaive who had read from the paper. “It’s what it says.” he said when his comrade’s glares grew increasingly malicious. They dismissed it and turned back to Aeria.

“The Red Glaive is a lifelong commitment.” The glaive on the left said. “The life you knew and had before is to be considered void. Your service is to the king and the realm of men and are duty bound to protect all mortal life. It is a hard and usually short life of servitude. So I must ask this of all recruits; why choose to join the Red Glaive?”

Aeria answered with the only truth she knew. “I don’t want to be afraid anymore.”

The middle stern glaive watched her quietly before a smile came across his wrinkled features. “Welcome to the Red Glaive apprentice Ariel.”
♠ ♠ ♠
end of part one