The Red Glaive

XXXVIII

They set off an hour after Aeria returned from the shrine. The were instructed to gather their belongings and meet at the stables. Aeria didn’t have much to begin with so she made sure to put Arsene’s black skull in her coat pocket and said a quick goodbye to Caius and Niko before walking the dark stone hallways of the caverns to the stables.

Telfer was already there saddling an ancient ill tempered mule, its brown coat peppered with white hairs. When Telfer went to put on the bridle, the old mule nipped at him. Telfer cursed and shoved the bridle into his mouth. The mule chewed on the cold steel angrily.

“How did you end up with that monster?” Aeria laughed and fetched Fable, whose head poked out of his stable the second he heard her coming. She opened the latch and Fable calmly stepped out to stand next to her.

“When I told Mother I was leaving for the Red Glaive she told me I could take Brute.” Telfer said. “He was the oldest at the orphanage and couldn’t haul a plow anymore but the old Brute refuses to die. She told me to sell him to a glue smith once I arrived. She hoped that I could maybe get a better steed.”

“But?. . .”

The old mule’s ears pulled back. “I haven’t got around to it.” he said and he lead the mule out the stables.

Isokki arrived just as Aeria was finishing saddling Fable. Isokki nodded politely before he started preparing his own sorrel paint. The nameplate on the door read River. Aeria lead Fable outside where Telfer waited next to Overseer Rector. A large wooden crate was set before them and wasn’t opened until Isokki came out of the stables his horse.

“You’re going East into Glacies then North towards Mollian border.” Rector said. “You’ll touch base with Glaive Kidolf in Darda. You,” he turned his attention to Isokki, “I assume you know were it is?” and Isokki nodded. “Each of you take a pack.” Rector said and each took rucksack at latched to their saddles. “In it you’ll find your rations, a fire kit, a cot, everything you’ll need on the road along with some coin for you to buy some winter gear once you cross the border, I hear Glacies has had its first snowfall.”

Rector reached into the crate again and pulled out three short swords. Aeria’s eyes went wide, they looked so similar to swords she had seen before. She took hers carefully, “Are these -“

“Don’t get too excited these are not Glaive swords.” Rector said. Keeping the last of the three from Telfer. He then unsheathed the blade showing the ancient runes that had been forged into the steel. “These swords won’t kill a night devil, but it was one for the few things that can cause them pain, they’re also quite useful in fending off any bandits or thieves. So if you do end up getting harassed on the road. . . ” His gaze shifted between the three. “It’s Ariel’s job to deal with them.”

“What?” Aeria said, “Why?”

“You’re the best sword here.” Rector said, “I’d rather not risk these green boys trip over laces and hurt themselves.” then he stared at the empty crate thinking. “I believe that’s it.” he said and the three mounted their steeds. “Don’t get lost, stay on the Night Road.” Rector warned before adding, “And don’t get killed.” and with that parting wisdom the three departed in the dead of night.

They walked their horses most of the way. Whenever they attempted to trot some distance Telfer’s stubborn mule would outright refuse and huffed indignantly when Isokki and Aeria’s own horses started to outpace him. That first night, they rode in silence, mostly to they tried to stay awake. The rode all night and all day before they finally decided to rest at an outpost the following night. Only Isokki was able to build his cot, while Telfer and Aeria slept wherever they fell. They didn’t even bother with a fire.

The next morning everyone was in a much better mood.

“How much longer till we get to Glacies?” Aeria asked. Niko had told her that the Eternal Winter had been banished in Glacies, but she wanted to see snow, she expected nothing less. Every tale she had ever read and every song she’d heard of Glacies spoke of the frigid snows of Glacies. This late in the year, she had to see it.

Isokki, who was of Glacies, laid down the map from his pack on the floor. “We’re here.” He pointed at a spot on the map. “Once we’re able to see Slumber’s Depth in the distance the Glacies border should be about a day’s ride. Day and a half with that thing,” he pointed at the angry mule.

“Then we should get going.” Aeria said.

Isokki was a quiet fellow. Polite enough, but for the most part silent. He was born in Icleport to long line of whalers. “The problem was: I was terrified of the water. You look down the side of this boat that’s so minuscule atop this massive ocean and stare at this blue black abyss. You know its not empty. First time I went out, looked at that dark water and thought: Fuck that.” Isokki had told them. He joined the Red Glaive to avoid further disappointing his family.

They rode through the night to make up time. In the early hours of the morning, far in the distance, they spotted the intense blue of Slumber’s Depth. When she had come down with Reimar they had passed through the northern side of the lake where the massive redwoods hid the lake from view. From the southern side, the immense size of the lake was laid like the sea out in front of them.

“Care for a dip Isokki?” Aeria teased, the fair haired boy grumbled and cursed under his breath.

The following night, after they had traveled the length of the lake, Isokki stopped them. “What are those.” he said wide eyed. Off the side of the Night Road red eyes peered back at them. Telfer’s face had gone white.

“Spawns.” Aeria said remembering the awful dying screams of Reimar’s horse. “Stay on the road.” Aeria said remembering how Fable had been inexplicably drawn to edge that night. Aeria didn’t sleep at all, she kept Fable marching forward and eyed Isokki and Telfer carefully and kept her hand on her sword. She only relaxed when the sun poked over the horizon. Once the sun was high in the sky did they get comfortable again.

“You’ve never crossed the border into Glacies have you?” Isokki said a few hours later. Aeria and Telfer shook their heads. “You’re of the north, I forget.” he chuckled.

“What’s that supposed to mean.” Telfer said.

“You’ll see.” Isokki said cryptically.

Two miles down where the border between the territories of Glacies and the crown lands was defined by two wooden statues; one of a beautiful woman dressed in a loincloth and a top made of beads for the Goddess and that of a shrouded figure for the Light Bringer. Isokki stopped his horse and urged Aeria and Telfer forward.

Aeria went first. She eyed the statue of the Light Bringer. Nearly fifty feet tall, the Light Bringer’s shroud covered his face. Aeria leaned forward hoping to peak under the hood but there was nothing to be seen. In his hand, and raised high, the Light Bringer held onto a lantern. Directly opposite and facing the Light Bringer stood the Goddess, barefoot and primal. Her long hair had been carved all the way to her feet and onto the ground.

Just as she crossed into their gaze, Aeria felt a chill that shook her bones. Unaccustomed, Aeria pulled her hands close to her body and Fable shivered beneath her. The weather had shifted dramatically colder. Telfer had a similar reaction when he crossed over.

“How?” Aeria said to see her breath escape in white vapor.

“The Goddess keeps the south cold, just like the Beast keeps his north hot, and the Colossus keeps his lands fertile.” Isokki said.

“The crown lands weren’t this cold.” Teller said. Glacies was Somniare’s eastern neighbor after all.

“Even in death, the Light Bringer’s light keeps his lands in summer.” Isokki said crossing between the statues. “It keeps the cold away from

Aeria eyed the Light Bringer’s shrouded statue. The Avian gave the Storm Lords control over the weather, which they then used to keep the storms in The Scar. When she crossed the border from Durus into Mollia she had felt something, though not as extreme.

“We’re going to need those winter coats.” Aeria said.

There was an outpost not too far off from the border where a traveling merchant had set up shop. There all three bundled tightly in furs and hides. Aeria had worn fur only once when suitor from Glacies arrived in Cypress Grove. Madame Salver made her a dress out with a stunning cowl made of the minks they had caught that season. Furs weren’t popular in Durus, so fur was used during the winter for blankets only. Wool was usually warm enough. Though they didn’t have snow, they had the Frost - icy winds that froze lakes and killed cattle. It didn’t have the same effect on people.

The Frost in Durus came and went with the wind, in Glacies it was just cold all the time. Aeria and Telfer had been lucky to have Isokki with them as he managed to haggle with the merchant enough for them to keep a good amount of their coins after all their winter purchases.

All this time, Aeria knew that winter was fast approaching. It didn’t feel like it deep in the caverns under the Ivory Bastion. There was a sick feeling in her stomach. It had been nearly a year since her flight from home. The Blood Moon was due any day now, as was her birthday. She had been born on the forty fifth day of winter but her father had declared her birthday every year on the Blood Moon despite it not coming on the forty fifth every year. He always said that they needed something to celebrate on darkest night of the year.

Aeria clutched the pendant on her neck, not for the stone that she constantly looked for, but for the small medallion embossed with her father’s seal. A finch on a cypress branch. What would her father say if he could see her now? Would he scream at her? She hoped not, but she remembered his silent seething rage when Alita left. Was he that angry when she left? No, he had never been that way with her. After her mother’s passing, Donavan Finch struggled with his daughters. All except for Aeria. Maybe it was because she was the least lady like out of them all.

Fable steps came to a sudden halt. His ears twitched. “What is it boy?” Aeria called before following his gaze. Staring them down was a large cat with yellow eyes and tufts of fur on the tips of her ears. Aeria heard whispers in her ears.

“Is that Bara?” Telfer said.

Telfer? Ariel? Can you hear me?” they both heard Nikko’s voice coming from Bara. “I suppose I won’t know until you send something back. Overseer Rector just taught us how to use our familiars. Let me know what time it is and where you are. I want gauge the time and distance they can travel.” Bara stood and leapt out into the bush.

“Did you hear it Telfer?” Aeria asked.

“I did.”

“Hear what?” Isokki said.

Up ahead a wagon came into view. It took a few minutes before it passed them and the whispers returned in her ears making Aeria reach into her pocket and pull the black skull. “Arsene?” The black raven took shape on her hand. “What’s going on?”

”Did you think we sent messages by holding letters?” Arsene’s voice sounded on her head. Aeria stared at the black bird blankly. “Quit being silly, of course not! What we carry is your voice.

“Our voice?”

“What’d he say?” Isokki said maneuvering River closer to her and Fable. Aeria told Isokki and Telfer what Arsene had told her.

Speak to me as if I was the person you want to speak with.” Arsene instructed. “and who you’d like to hear

“Niko? I want Niko and Caius to hear.” Aeria said. “I, I suppose he asked about the time and where we are so, tell him this, we crossed the border few hours ago, it’s nearly noon.” Arsene nodded and flew away. “How long do you think it’ll take?” Aeria asked but Telfer was looking out the side of the Night Road.

“That’s Set.” he said and both Isokki and Aeria maneuvered their horses so that they could see red fox sitting in the underbrush.

Caius’ voice boomed loud for all to hear, “Tell them that Ariel is a cunt!” followed by a heartily laugh that told her that he had a few drinks. Isokki and Telfer laughed.

Aeria’s eyes narrowed and reached for her pocket, but Arsene had just left. “Telfer let me borrow Neith!” Aeria said.

Telfer called forth Neith, small and slender beside their mounts, Neith kept their pace as they continued on. “Make sure Caius knows that he’s a massive dick, no wait, he’ll take it as a compliment.” Aeria thought for a moment, “Tell him the gods ruined a perfectly good asshole when they put teeth in your mouth.” Isokki laughed loudly.

“Neith says she can’t carry your voice.” Telfer said.

“Well then you say it.” Aeria said.

“I, I don’t think I want to.” Telfer said cautiously.

“Just do it.” Aeria said and Telfer begrudgingly faced Neith.

“Ariel told me to tell you, that,” he paused and for a moment Aeria thought he wouldn’t do it. “that the gods ruined a perfectly good asshole when they put teeth in your mouth. Ariel said it not me, he told me.” Isokki was laughing uncontrollably. “And Isokki is calling you a cock sucker.” and Isokki’s face went pale as Neith gracefully turned and vanished into the bush.

It was Aeria’s turn to laugh and Isokki reached into his bag and pulled out the glossy black skull. “Eligor!” A small weasel formed in his hand, its coat white for the winter, and Isokki caught him before he grew large enough to fall out hand. “Find Caius and tell him I didn’t say that, I have nothing but utter respect and admiration for him, please!” Aeria laughed as the small white ermine hopped off the horse and scurried away into the woods.

Just as he vanished, Bara appeared again from the direction Eligor had just vanished. “This is amazing, they don’t travel like we do!” Niko voice’s came from the she lynx. “I don’t know how yet but Bara tells me not to mind it. I don’t understand how I couldn’t! I think there must be something in the library. Check your pocket!” and Bara vanished. The enthusiasm in his voice told her that perhaps Niko too had been drinking. Caius probably took him along.

Buried deep in her pocket she felt the cool sheen of Arsene’s skull resting there. “Arsene?” the black bird took form. “How are you back?”

My message was delivered so I returned to you.” he chirped.

“Excellent.” Aeria said with a mischievous smile.

And so they went. Each message returned grew increasingly vulgar and it somehow became a game as to who could be the most offensive. Bara would arrive try to keep them up to date on Tarda’s lectures but then Set would arrive shortly afterwards with a raunchy comment and the laughter would drown out the poor lynx. The poor familiars had to time their appearances carefully and only appeared when there was no one on the Night Road. After a day, even Isokki felt comfortable enough to send crude jokes to Caius and Niko via Eligor. It made their days seem shorter and before they knew it they had arrived in Darda.

Darda was a small town on the right on the border between Glacies and Mollia and a fork of the Night Road. One way headed to the East of Mollia, the other to the West, and the way back headed back into Glacies. The people of Darda grew wealthy from selling furs to travels coming into Glacies at extraordinarily high prices then rebuying them on the cheap when those very same travelers went left.

When they arrived more than one merchant offered to buy up the furs off their back. It wasn’t until they explained that they were adepts looking for a glaive that they were directed to the temple. The temple, like every other temple, was built to honor the gods. Though, exactly like every temple, it was largely abandoned with people only coming in to pray when they sought something of the gods, only the truly devout came on a regular basis. This temple was no different. A large staircase led to a single room where a statue stood for each of the six gods. A lone priest tended to the temple.

Sitting, eyes shut, and crosslegged in the center of the small room in the black cloak of a glaive, unmistakingly rested the man they had been looking for. Coiled around his arm a bright green snake traveled upwards. His eyes opened.

“Are you my adepts?” he said completely unconcerned with the potentially venomous snake inching closer to his neck.

“We are.” Aeria said after neither Telfer or Isokki said anything.

“Good. I am Glaive Jago.” the glaive said standing. The snake shrunk and before disintegrating into white embers leaving behind the black snake head. “We need to move, the village is a day’s ride from here.”

“More riding?” Isokki groaned.

“You’re to become a glaive boy, you live atop your horse.”

They were allowed a meal at an inn before Jago, mounted on a great black horse, had them on the road again. They headed out of Darda and arrived at the fork on the road.

“Which way are we headed?” Aeria asked. East Mollia or back into Glacies. Those were the only choices. But Jago turned his horse towards the setting sun.

“That way.” Jago said pointing away from the Night Road and into the thick and wild forest that lined it.
♠ ♠ ♠
This chapter was only going to be one but it was getting too long so I'm splitting it. Second half to come next and its one of those things that when I first started concocting this story in my head, it was there. I mean the characters involved have changed but for the most part this next part is gunna stay the same.

Deltagrey, thank you for commenting. You support keeps me going!

NEW COMMENTER! Death_to_Roses, thank you for speaking up! I am really glad you like it.