The Red Glaive

III

The Baron’s company could been for miles. The tall cypress tress only seemed like minor inconvenience for the massive carved diamonds that sat atop the banner poles that could bee seen only just poking out of the canopy. Beneath them, the mark of Baron Stone - a mound of gemstones on a brown field - was emblazoned of the banners. They came on the backs of fine white palfreys bred and imported from the capital. The Baron and his family came in an elaborate sandalwood carriage embellished with gems and gold.

They had come in haste to avoid the coming Blood Moon and would leave after it passed.

Madame Salver had dressed Aeria in the finest dress she had. The off shoulder dress was a yellow abomination of dyed wool. The long sleeves were the only part that were made of silk and it dangled off her arms like excessively long curtains. Worst of all, Madame Salver had to secure the laces along the back tightly onto Aeria so simple things like bending down were difficult. Madame Salver hadn’t even spared her hair as she tied it into a braid so tight it made her head hurt.

All her father’s Counts had dressed up as well, they wanted to make the best impression. Patton Ney looked the most ridiculous of all, his old cloak had been stained by the years and layers of dirt that it looked orange instead of the yellow color of Donavan Finch. Ney didn’t seem to care, he stood proudly in line with the rest of the over dressed Counts awaiting Baron Stone. Only Donavan Finch didn’t dress for the occasion, he wore his regular clothes and Aeria was glad he didn’t force her to greet the strangers in front of everyone.

Instead, Aeria chose to go to the stables in her elegant dress to brush Fable’s coat and entertain the fantasy of getting on his back and riding far, far away. Fable wouldn’t object, he loved to run and she wondered what it was like to be a horse. Eating oats all day and getting fat seemed so easy.

Aeria brushed bedding off his mane, ignoring her own hay covered sleeves, and cleaned out his hooves. She smiled in satisfaction at how brilliantly his dun coat shined when she was done. He had been born wild, but Aeria had found the dying colt by his mother’s body out in the woods. She healed him and became his surrogate mother and broke any trace of wild horse left in him just as they wanted break Aeria into the perfect lady.

It couldn’t have been easy for her father either. Without her, he would be left all alone. It wasn’t just the harvest that Baron Stone would bring under the marriage contract. He had agreed to provide for Cypress Grove for years to come, he had the money to spare after all. It made her angry to have to rely on so despicable people but as her father had said, she would have to put aside her pride for the sake of her people.

“Aeria,” Her father stood by the stable door, “It’s time.” he said and escorted her to the house were their guests were already dining.

Madame Salver began to fret as though the very world had come to an end. “You’re a complete mess!” she exclaimed when she saw all they hay that had worked its way into Aeria’s hair and dress. She even attempted to scrape off the mud that had caked the bottom of her dress. “This is no way to impress your paramour!” Good, Aeria thought. She hoped he found her horrifying, that they ran away screaming at the very sight of her muddy tangled mess.

The old tapestries were hug up in the hall over the long table where the party sat. Baron Stone sat next to her father, his chair pulled nearly all the way back to make room for his pot belly. Next to him sat the Baroness, a cold woman in a velvet dress. On her face a final mineral powder that hid the blemishes of her aging skin.

When they noticed her standing by the door way, Aeria curtsied and said “Good evening,” the words coming out her mouth like steel against hard rock.

The Baroness Stone stood first, and sauntered over to Aeria’s side. “Let me have a look at you.” she said her voice cold and biting. The Baron Stone had remained at his seat but out of the corner of her eye Aeria spotted her beloved groom to be standing to come meet her. “Oh, Darion,” she said to her son, “She certainly is. . . .simple.”

“That’s alright mother,” Darion Stone said, “she’ll do.” Then he smiled, a wicked smile full of things to come.

The Baroness’ sharp, cold nails dug into her chin and turned Aeria to examine her face. Aeria glanced quickly at her father but he was too busy cutting his food. “She does have the eyes of the blood moon. What’s your name girl?”

“Aeria.” she said lowly. Aget probably would’ve punched them both across the face if they had been examining her like they would a prized dog, but Aeria didn’t want to disappoint her father.

“Enough mother,” Dorian said cheerily while pushing his mother away lightly. “It’s good to see you again, Aeria,” he said then suddenly clutched tightly onto Aeria’s hand. The roughness in which had done so made Aeria wince, any attempt to pull back caused him to grip tighter. Then he brought her hand to his lips all the while watching her for her reaction. No one noticed. She understood then that he was forcing her to submit right then and there in front of an oblivious crowd.

“Let go.” Aeria said once the Baroness had retreated to her seat, but Dorian only scoffed and pulled her to the empty seat by his.

“Look at them Don!” Baron Stone said. “Already they can’t be apart! What a match!” Then he went off talking about something else while Aeria quietly seethed.

Half a chicken lay portioned on her plate, the golden brown and the juices seeping out of the roast indicated that it had been perfectly cooked. She couldn’t eat, the chicken roast didn’t look the least bit appetizing despite the fact that she hadn’t had any meant since the start of the winter. Baron Stone had brought this food and she couldn’t stomach it. She poked and prodded at the chicken with her fork unable to find exactly where to put it.

“You should be proud to be my wife.” Dorian said when the chatter of the surrounding people was loud enough to drown him out. “So many other girls would’ve killed to be in your place. It’s not everyday that someone can marry into the wealthiest family in all of Durus.” he said.

“No Baron would give you their daughter Dorian.” Aeria replied. The stories of his terrible attitude spread far in the mouths of servants. No sensible young woman could stand him.

“Your pathetic father did.” he said his grey eyes looked black in the light, “For the right price.” His hand fell on her upon her thigh. Every finger had a ring with a different gemstone. “Anyone can be bought, but if you ask me, my father overpaid.”

Aeria smiled, not because she agreed with anything he had said nor because she enjoyed the feeling his slimy jeweled hand upon her, on the contrary she smiled because she finally figured out exactly where to put her fork.

Dorian Stone jumped up with a sharp and less-than-manly cry. The sight of the fork, still lodged on the top of his hand, made his eyes go wide with horror. He pulled out the fork with another yelp and dropped it. A single satisfied smile rested on Aeria’s face.

Aeria had been looking at Dorian Stone, then a flash of gemstones, and she was looking down at her neglected chicken. A stinging heat spread over her cheek and she raised a shaky hand over it. Even the gentlest of touches made her wince, but she held her hand over her cheek because she felt a warm liquid slowly spilling on her cheek.

Aeria didn’t notice that everyone in the room had gone deathly silent. Didn’t notice that no one was no longer looking at her or the smug faced boy leering over her. Everyone stared at Donavan Finch, who had shot up from his seat, crippled leg be damned, with his sword in hand. No, Aeria didn’t notice the murderous fury in her old father’s eyes because her own eyes had zeroed on the knife waiting by her plate like dear old friend.

Baron Stone was faster than both them them. His jeweled cup hit his son right in the face, it’s faceted jewels cutting a deep gash just above his eye. “Impudent whelp!” he said before lunging over the table like a raging bull. Patton Ney, who sat to Aeria’s right quickly took her around the waist and moved her out of the way before the Baron reached his son. “Is that any way to treat your bride!?” Baron Stone had Dorian by the collar of his coat and was violently shaking him.

Donavan sighed and dropped his sword where it vanished in mid air in a flurry of white embers. There was a collective sigh of relief after that.

“She is not one of your slave whores! Look at what you've done!” Baron Stone continued and pointed at Aeria’s face before shoving Dorian to the floor. All the while the Baroness wailed for him to stop. “How dare you do such despicable thing, to a lady no less, your betrothed!” Baron Stone said before shoving Dorian against the floor then made a move to kick him all the while Aeria watched with inward joy.

“That’s enough Barrett.” Donavan’s voice cut through the screaming. Baron Stone turned to face Donavan then back to his son on the floor.

“You try that again and I will beat you to a bloody pulp.” he said with with meaning finality then when Dorian didn’t say anything added, “You hear me boy!?” Dorian nodded fearfully before scampering out of the hall, the Baroness at his heels. “I’m so sorry you had to see that Lady Aeria.” Baron Stone said to her. “But the boy needs to be put in his place.”

“That’s alright.” Aeria said pleased with the man who had came to her defense when her own father hadn’t.
♠ ♠ ♠
Things will start picking up form here, next chapter contains mature content. You've been warned.