The Red Glaive

XLI

No one ever came into the glaive library. A majority of adepts spent their time in the arena trying to hone their gifts nowadays. It wasn’t very large to begin with; only a single room with disorderedly bookcases stacked with books in every which way filling every empty space. The room itself was barely bigger than the adepts’ rooms but the shelves and books made it seem even smaller. Books sat in towers on the ground, and atop bookcases, anywhere there was a space as if anytime a new book was added to this small library, it was just dropped anywhere there was space then left there forgotten.

Only Niko seemed to spend any amount of time within its crammed quarters. He sat at a desk that no one ever used. It had been stacked with books, but Niko moved some of them away to give himself enough room to open a book. What else could he do in his free time?

All Caius was concerned about was training, and if it wasn’t training it was drinking. Niko had indulged him the first few times, but when Caius nearly ended up getting Niko stabbed he stopped going. Caius always invited him regardless, but didn’t him push him to go. As for his training, it was frightening how much he improved under Glaive Master Asten. Even he seemed unsettled by it.

You don’t play anymore.” Bara’s voice sounded in his head. She spoke softly and melodic like a whispered lullaby.

“I’ve been busy.” Niko said. The citole, that he liked to have on his person whenever he could, lay in its case back in the room he shared with Telfer. He hadn’t strummed it days.

It’s not going to work you know.” Bara said and when Niko ignored her she landed atop the book Niko was reading with shocking silence.

“Bara I’m reading that.” Niko said pulled her off the book. She dropped to the floor soundlessly.

You’re trying to distract yourself, but it’s not working.” she said.

“It’s not working cause you keep talking to me.” Niko replied and raised the book to his face. He stared at the pages. He held the second volume in Kulmakkola’s Devils Native to Glacies. It was a difficult read, the author, Kulmakkola didn’t organize the devils in any way that made sense. He seemed to write them in the order that they were spotted and took records from other Glaives, then added his own sightings and his annotations in a different sections organized by when he found those specific devils in the field. It was an old text, but it was the only one he could find in the mess.

You can’t escape the fact that your friend betrayed you.” Bara said jumping back on book snatching it away from him with her weight.

“Stop being dramatic Bara, Caius didn’t betray me.” Niko said though even as he said it, it still hurt.
_________


“I don’t see anything wrong with it.”

“I, uh, it really hurts.” Niko said his heart pounding as Elyon examined his eye. One hand firmly held onto his face while the other spread his eyelids wide. Her face was inches away from him as she examined his eyeball. Niko cursed himself for putting himself in this situation. He had come back after she had explicitly told him not to return anymore. So when she spotting him in the entryway trying to build the courage to come in all he could stammer out was, “I. . . I. . . I. . .My eye!

Now here he was, her pale green eyes locked into his brown, and Niko couldn’t come up with anything clever to stay to her. Would she like clever?

His throat felt dry as he struggled to swallow the lump in his throat. Her hands holding on to his face firmly were warm and soft. She let him go and he could breathe again.

“I can’t help you if it’s infected.” Elyon said stepping back. Her hair was tied back, but after a long day various defiant strands poked out her once combed back light brown hair. “The Glaive Medics have some of the best medicines in all Lux Aeterna, you should just go there for some drops.” She always told him to go there instead, but she never turned him away when she showed up.

“But. .” Then I won't see you. He wanted to say it, but the words choked in his throat.

“Honestly, if the medics found out you were coming here you’d be in a lot of trouble, especially for something as trivial as this.” Elyon said. She was right, Rector always told them to endure pain, get used it. There’d be a lot coming. They’d be upset to know Niko was skipping out on that by coming to the sisters. But it wasn’t about pain for him.

He wanted to see her, to get know her. She was always so serious, he wanted to make her laugh.

“I,” Niko said standing, then her eyes caught his and whatever bravado he had shrank away. “I have to go.” he said before scurrying away.

He walked back to the barracks feeling miserable for himself.

It was the weekend so there was nothing to do in the barracks. If Ariel hadn’t gone to the field, he’d be spending his weekend with his sister and Telfer would’ve joined Caius in whatever he was doing.

Niko was alone, and ever since Friehei and Pynnis saw him summon an massive shard of ice in the shape of blade with Glaive Master Takaimuel. They hadn’t so much as looked at him, so he wasn’t so scared of walking alone, though he’d be lying if he still didn’t flinch when he heard steps walking behind him.

No, they seemed to focus the most on Ariel now. Despite being one of the best swordsman in their ranks, Ariel still couldn’t move the earth. He could be the best swordsman in the whole world but that still would put him at a disadvantage against someone who could open up a chasm in the ground beneath him. Ariel was fearless, but as much as he hated to admit it, he was the weakest in their group at the moment. Even Telfer was decently accomplished at pulling water from multiple sources and was one of the only one could who could raise it to scalding temperatures.

Niko didn’t want to back to the barracks. If he went back he’d lock himself in the library and read to forget about how he had failed with Elyon. Instead, he chose to go for a walk.

It was getting dark, though he didn’t have to be afraid of night devils in the city. He wandered aimlessly, passing multiple shops. The Red Glaive gave each adept a small allowance every week, just enough to let them have fun. Caius a lot more as they gave him additional coins from his father’s pay. Niko didn’t know how much, Lector Tarda didn’t let him look at the ledgers when he had Niko organize his office.

Somehow, Niko found his way to The Solid Steam. It was the afternoon, but tavern was already alive with people.

He was going to turn back again, but decided that maybe a drink or two would make him feel less miserable. Walking in, he wasn’t exactly shocked to find Caius in one of the alcoves with a pretty brunette smiling next to him. It was his favorite tavern in Lux Aeterna.

Perii, the serving girl, danced around tables serving drinks to everyone, but occasionally she’d glance back at Caius and give him a nasty glare. Caius didn’t seem to care or even notice.

Niko sat at the bar, were a the friendly server game his foamy drink. It was bitter going down but Niko forced it down hoping that it would give him courage, or what ever it was it gave Caius.

Niko studied the couple, Caius casually rested his arm around the back of the seat and around her. This allowed her to move in closer to him. Would something like that work with Elyon? If only Niko could get her to come out with him somewhere, maybe at least he could try. Caius said something and the girl blushed, he looked down at her and tucked her hair behind her ear. Not once did this girl look away. Then like it was the simplest thing to do, Caius’ lips landed on hers.

Perii slammed her tray full of drinks down on the closest table and dashed out the back. Niko sighed, wondering if this was the offense that would eventually get them banned for good.

There was more and more people coming into the capitol now a days. Someone claimed to have seen the crown prince in the city and that brought in the daughters of Lords and Barons hoping to court the prince before the Feast of the First Moon. The prince was in Glacies. He was to complete his knighthood under Lord Gretommo Oimni, though everyone knew the real reason the prince chose to complete his knighthood in Glacies was so he could court the lord’s daughter Kireina Oimni who everyone said was the most beautiful woman in the land. Niko had only ever seen her once when he was a child. He didn’t remember her very well.

So it made no sense for the prince to be here so early. He’d probably arrive with Lord Oimni’s host for the Feast of the First Moon. Logic, however, didn’t seem to convince everyone else.

The girl in alcove stood taking a hold of Caius’ hand in hers and led him out. Without missing a beat, Caius stood after her. For a brief second, Caius’ eyes met his and Caius grinned. He whispered something in her ear and she placed a big kiss on his lips before walking away to one of the private rooms upstairs.

“Finally ready to have some fun Nikorni,” Caius said clasping his shoulder. “Thought you'd be off in the library by now or in some other dark place with a bunch of books. Where’ve you been?” After organizing his office, Lector Tarda charged Niko with organizing the library. It was neither easy or fun.

“I thought I’d torture myself with something worse.” Niko said taking another chug of his drink. He swallowed the bitterness and felt a rush of warmth right after.

“Oh, you went to go see that sister didn’t you.” Caius said taking the seat next to Niko. He nodded after the server placed a full drink for him. Then as if remembering something added, “Sisters are wild, all that time cooped up in shrines. Once -“

“I don’t want to know Caius.” Niko said gruffly, Caius shrugged and took a gulped the drink eagerly. “How do you do it Caius?”

“Do what?” he said bringing the cup down.

“Talk to them.” Niko said quietly.

“To?. . .”

“Girls! I mean women! Ugh.” Niko rested his head on the bar. Even talking about them made him nervous. Caius laughed. It was a contagious laughter though Niko didn’t feel like laughing at the moment. Caius had shockingly green eyes, nothing like Elyon’s olive green. His hair had grown too long and he did nothing to contain it. Even then, he attracted those around him, women flocked to him. He had it easy, looking how he did.

“Just talk to them!” Caius bellowed over the shouts on the other side of the tavern. “They’re no different than you and me! Besides, the worst thing they can say is no.”

That was the worst thing. Niko would die inside if Elyon told him she didn’t want to see him without getting a chance to actually know her. He couldn’t think of a worse thing that could happen. Niko took another swig of his drink.

“Can you show me?” he said feeling warmer than before. Was that how courage felt?

Caius smiled broadly. “Let’s go, right now!” he paused and chugged what remained of the drink. He caught the server’s attention “Mine and his.” he said pointing to their drinks. “Come on, I’ll give you some pointers on the way and you’ll have her nice and wooed in no time!”

“What about your, uh, lady friend.” Niko said eyeing the upstairs rooms she’d gone into.

“You kidding?” Caius said putting a heavy hand on Niko’s blond head and shaking him slightly in clear excitement and slight drunkenness. “This is more important!”

Niko smiled and left his cup at the bar. Caius seemed more eager than he was, though he was glad he was coming along, it made him slightly more confidant. Or maybe it was the alcohol, he wasn’t sure.

“So is she blond? Brunette? Red head?” Caius said when they exited the tavern. The sun was setting and the evening was alive with people moving about their business. The city did look more crowded.

“D, does it matter?”

“Niko, my boy, it matters.”

Caius had been relentless on offering to take her to The Solid Steam, but Niko insisted that Elyon was not the type to go to such a place. Sisters were forbidden to leave the Shrine grounds but many did anyway. The Superior Sisters in charge of the shrine were known to be lax in that regard so occasionally, if you were looking for them, you could spot a sister walking in the streets of Lux Aeterna. Niko knew this, because every time he spotted the brown robes they always wore he hoped it would be Elyon. It never was.

By the time they arrived back to the shrine, Niko felt somewhat confidant. Caius had insisted on being honest and admitting that he had feelings for her. “Be a man” he had said. Still they stood outside the shrine and his hands were clammy.

“You’re gunna be glaive.” Caius said reassuring. “You can fight Night Devils, I’ve seen you make massive ice spear out of nothing!”

“Not out of nothing.” Niko muttered. Just freeze the water in the air around him, that was easy.

“Doesn’t matter. Point is; if you can look a night devil in the face and go toe to toe with me in a match, you’re a tough son of a bitch. You can do this.”

“Tough son of a bitch.” Niko nodded and entered the shrine followed by Caius.

The sister inside took one look at him and groaned. “You again? What is this time? Chip a nail?” Niko shook his head. “Last I saw her she was in the Hall of the Fading.” the sister said dismissively.

Niko didn’t wait till she told him he wasn’t allowed. Thankfully, Caius didn’t follow him he stayed in the central hub chatting with the sister manning it. If Niko failed, the embarrassment would be twice as bad if Caius was there to see it.

Niko crossed the veil that between the hub and the hall and Caius’ voice faded away. Instead, a soft singing was heard somewhere deeper into the hall. Niko’s steps sped up, he practically ran down that hall, and arrived at a room with a closed curtain. “fly through my window, Little bird, little bird” a soft voice echoed within. Niko immediately noted that it wasn’t Elyon’s voice. “Fly through my window, find molasses candy.” Niko couldn’t move. Something about it was beautiful yet terrifying. “Through my window, my sugar lump. Find molasses candy.” He shouldn’t be hearing this, he wasn’t ready.

The song stopped and the curtain opened. An elder sister stood there eyeing Niko suspiciously. Behind her, the faint outline of a small body lay on the bed covered by the sheets. “You shouldn’t be here.” she said her voice weary.

“I know. I’m sorry.” Niko said, but the elder sister didn’t say anything. She looked too tired to reprimand him further, so Niko fled before she gathered more strength.

When Niko returned to the central hub Caius was gone. The sister behind the desk sighed and pointed down the Hall of the Ailing. Niko followed her finger saw Caius talking with Elyon. The veil that rested along the doorway muffled their voices, but even from a distance, Niko could see Elyon’s cheeks were flushed and the way she looked at Caius made his knees go weak. He wanted the one she looked at that way not Caius. Yet he couldn’t be him. There was something in the way Caius carried himself, the way he walked into a room that just demanded to attention and oozed confidence. Niko could never be that.

Elyon didn’t usher Caius away like she had with Niko and her cheeks burned a bright red when Caius moved her hair behind her ear. He leaned closer, so close. . Niko couldn't watch anymore. He left the shrine and sat outside in the cool night air.

What was he thinking bringing Caius here? Of course Elyon would prefer someone like Caius. What was he expecting would happen? Everyone always liked Caius. Even now, Niko couldn’t say that he disliked him, or even that he was angry.

Reaching into his pocket and pulled the black shiny skull that would call forth Bara. Whispers filled his head too low for him to make out what they said. He wanted someone to talk to, but he wasn’t supposed to call her in public. Their familiars were secret to those outside the Red Glaive. He wished now that he had a more common familiar like Ariel’s raven that wouldn’t stick out as much as a lynx.

There was shouting from within the shrine. Niko stood just in time to to get Caius shoved into him haphazardly. “You slimy scoundrel, how dare you!” Elyon stood just beyond the threshold, her eyes livid. “I never want to see you around here again! If-“ she paused when she saw Niko standing behind Caius and her expression softened for a brief second before her brows furrowed together, “The same goes for you.” she said before turning on her heel and vanishing back into the infirmary.

“Sisters. . .” Caius groaned as they walked away. “Never again.” Caius laughed. Niko didn’t say anything. “Did you find your girl?”

“No.” Niko answered quickly. He could’ve told Caius right then and there. He could’ve defended Elyon’s honor like they did in the old stories, but he didn’t. It wasn’t in Niko’s nature to escalate problems. Besides, Caius was his friend had he known that was Elyon he wouldn’t have done what he did.
_________



It had been a few days since and Niko found that despite telling himself that it didn’t bother him, he found himself avoiding Caius. Mostly by hiding in the library which Caius avoided like the plague. Without Ariel or Telfer to spar with Caius had taken to training in his free time with the three blessed with the Avian’s gift; Eddval Talon, Alred and Havarr.

Out of all the adepts they were the most determined to become better swordsmen. The Avian gave them the ability to conjure lightning so they liked to pretend they could become as good as the Storm Knights. No one was that good. Glaives merely borrowed their lightning from the Avian, Storm Knights were born with it. The only family capable of producing Storm Knights were the Talbains who ruled over Durmenda. It had been that way for centuries.

Still, if Avian adepts wanted to train harder, Caius was the perfect partner for them to improve on. He was simply the best with the sword. The best at nearly everything.

Read this one.” Bara said pawing at a book near the bottom of one the larger book towers on the floor. Niko stood from the desk, it seemed tiny under all the books. He couldn’t name the book he had in front of him, he had opened it but quickly gotten lost in thought.

The tower of books was stacked haphazardly. Botchlings, Cursed Children of the Blood Moon the spine read. Botchlings, he remembered Glaive Tarda mentioning them on one of the first days they attended his lecture. He was saying how certain types of devils were more common than others depending on location. Botchlings were one he named as more common to the North. Ariel and Telfer were in the South.

“This isn’t helpful right now Bara.”

You should still read it. It’s not like you're reading that one over there.”

Niko sighed. “I think I need a break. What time is it?”

”Late.”

Niko left the library, his way lit by torchlight. The light from the Night Road wasn’t installed in the caverns under the Ivory Bastion like it was the rest of Lux Aeterna. Bara followed at his feet. It was late so no one would spot her.

“If you’re one of the Red Glaive’s best kept secret, how is it that they’ve managed to keep you hidden?” Niko asked Bara as they walked. One of the adepts had pulled a bear from the strange sacks. Something like that can be rather difficult to conceal.

”Our bond is not strong enough yet, but you will learn in time no need to rush things.”

Bara liked to be cryptic, Niko found. He enjoyed that about her. It would give him something to look for when reading.

Niko reached the training rounds in the courtyard of the Ivory Bastion. The midnight chill hit him like diving into water and the night was still. He felt the hairs on his skin prickle up in dreaded anticipation. High above in the sky the blood moon floated like a bulbous red eyeball.

It was nearly twice the size of the regular moon and its coming was never entirely accurate. Niko certainly didn’t expect to see it. It made everyone uneasy, so the streets were virtually abandoned. Everyone knew not to do go out during a blood moon. Terrible things happened under that red moon.

Niko pushed back that uneasiness and started heading towards his room only to find Bara standing perfectly still, her gaze fixed on something far off in the distance.

“What is it?” Niko said approaching her. Her ears were pricked forward but she didn’t say anything. “Bara?”

”Your friends are in danger.” She then turned to him and blinked a few times. ”I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have said anything.” she said as her body shrunk and she vanished leaving behind a small black skull in her place.

“Wait! Bara.” He said picking up her skull. She didn’t come back. Not even hear her whispers could be heard. Glancing up at the blood moon, he shivered and ran back to his room. Niko didn’t sleep at all that night.
♠ ♠ ♠
A side story before getting back into the rhythm.