The Red Glaive

XLVIII

How was it possible for Videl Ney to show up in her life again? After he left to become a knight when she was eleven she was sure she’d never see him again. Yet here he was again, dressed in a knight’s tunic. When it registered who was standing in front of him, Videl fell to one knee. “My ladies.” he said calmly.

Aeria wasn’t sure how to react, she knew that as a knight Videl had a code of chivalry to follow but it wasn’t one she was familiar with. The only thing she knew, she had learned from Valor, yet, somehow that seemed wrong to do with anyone else.

“For goodness sakes Videl stand up,” Adelaide said, which made Aeria thankful. The Videl she remembered was a scrappy little kid who would play sword fight with her when her sisters learned to love dresses. “There no need for formality here.”

Videl stood again, he was tall like his father making an imposing figure. “Aeria.” Her name felt odd coming from his mouth and she acutely aware that, despite leaving, she was still Aeria Finch, the baron’s daughter. “I’m sorry.”

Aeria blinked. “What?”

“I should’ve been there.” Videl said stepping closer to her. “When I heard that your father was going to marry you off to that vile Dorian Stone I raced home to stop the wedding only to find you had run off in the middle of the blood moon. Everyone thinks your dead.”

Did her father really think that too? Aeria’s heart broke for her father. He loved his daughters more than anything, to think that he might think that she was dead made her feel sick. But she could never go home. That meant going back to Dorian Stone.

“I knew there was no way you could be dead, you're, well, you.” Videl said. “So I came here looking for you.”

“He showed up the morning after you left.” Adelaide whispered in Aeria’s ear.

“Aeria, I came to take you home.” Videl said.

“I can’t go home.” Aeria said quickly much to Videl’s surprise.

“I swore to your father that if you were alive, I’d find you and bring you home.” he saidd.

“I don’t care what you swore, I’m not going back to marry Dorian Stone!” Aeria said. Her whole new life was in jeopardy, a single letter from Videl could make her father come marching down the Night Road and take her back kicking and screaming.

“You can’t marry Dorian if you’re already married.” Adelaide said cheekily. Aeria glanced Adelaide then at Videl’s nervous but more than willing brown eyes.

“I need to speak with you.” Aeria said shutting the door to the study. She suddenly felt ridiculous in the dress pretending to be a lady she most certainly was not. “I can’t believe you’d do something like this.” Aeria said. Adelaide was presenting her to Videl like her father had presented her to Dorian Stone.

“I don’t understand what the problem is, you and Videl go way back.”

“But never like that!” Aeria exclaimed. No matter what he wore, or what he looked like, he’d always be that scrawny boy who would cry when Aeria knocked him over.

“But the spell.”

“I didn’t cast it with him!” Aeria said, “I didn’t even know he was here in the city till today.”

“Oh,” Adelaide said. “But then who?”

“I’m not telling you!” Aeria said embarrassed.

“Um.” Videl’s voice came from the doorway. They both stopped talking. Videl looked away ashamed for having interrupted them. Even as a knight, Aeria was still a baron’s daughter. Her class was technically higher than his still and Adelaide was a duchess now. When they were kids none of that mattered. As much as she hated it, things were different now.

“I’m not going to marry you Videl.” Aeria said and a look of relief came across his face. He, more than anyone, knew that she wasn’t the definition of a lady. As kids he’d always tell her about how his ideal woman wold be; beautiful, nurturing, crafty, and skilled white magic among many others. It made her realize even how far from ideal she really was.

“It’s the only way you can go home and not marry have Dorian Stone.” he still said trying to be honorable and be the one to rescue her.

“Do you even want to marry me?” Aeria asked and he gulped.

“It’ll be a great honor to wed one of Donavon Finch’s daughters.” Videl said, then looking looking at her directly said, “If it meant you could go home and be safe so be it.”

“I don’t want to go home.” Aeria said. “And I don’t need you coming here making the sacrifice of marrying me to get me to go home. I’ll find a way home my way. Just, not yet. There’s still so much for me to do here.”

“I swore to your father.”

“Keep your oath, you never said when you’d take me back.”

“Immediacy was implied.” Videl said his jaw clenching ever so slightly.

“But not stated.” Aeria said. The tightness in his face left and he chuckled softly.

“You’re just as stubborn as I remember.” He said. Finally letting up. “I know I will not win with you, so what is that you have to do here. Whatever it takes, I will help you achieve your goals and quickly as possible so that I may then take you home.” He paused but when he heard no objections from Aeria

Once she finished her glaive training it’d make the trek back to Durus much easier than going alone. She wanted to go back, at the very least to tell her father she was alive in person. She wouldn’t stay however. If she asked it of her father, she was sure he’d keep her supposed death a fact. Videl’s oath would be fulfilled and so then she could leave where ever she wanted to.

Videl knelt before her and unsheathed a weathered iron sword from a plain leather scabbard and presented it to Aeria. “As I wield it, this sword will shall keep you safe, should anyone put your life in danger this is the blade that will cut them down. With this sword, Aeria Finch, I will take you home.”

Aeria blinked, there was something she had to say in accepting his oath, she didn't know the words. It was like Videl playing dress up, but he was being completely serious and honest. It was hard to believe. And yet, she had to accept it if she expected him to return the favor.

"Sure. . ." Aeria said unsure.

“What is it that you have to get done her in the capital?” Videl asked.

“Well...”

“A glaive?” Videl said slowly after explaining the situation to him. Glancing between Adelaide and Aeria before fixing on the scars exposed on her shoulder. “You can’t be a glaive. You’ll get hurt.”

“Well, she’s not dead yet,” Adelaide cut in, “so she must be doing good.”

They had moved back to Adelaide’s private quarters.

“Videl, if I get you out to the Lonroth armory I bet I can knock you flat on your ass.” Aeria said. Videl looked at a little shocked at her language but what else did he expect. She was hardly a lady when he left. Then he looked down on the extravagant dress Aeria wore. “Adelaide get this off me!” Aeria said pulling at the metal on her chest.

“I believe you!” Videl said quickly.

“I’m going to do this Videl.” Aeria said. “I have to do this.” Because a glaive was never afraid. They defended the very weakest of people at their absolute most vulnerable moments. “Besides, it’s not like I’m doing this alone. I have brothers in the glaive and we are there for each other.” she said and for a moment she thought of how she had failed Telfer on the night of the blood moon.

“Do any of them know?” Videl asked.

“Well, no.” Aeria said, though she glanced at her pile on clothes on the stool where the cracked pendant lay. She’d have to mend it in the full moon in a couple days. One crack from when Jago found out and the other during the furious dash back Lux Aeterna with Telfer. There were people around, someone out there in the city knew she there was a woman in the glaive. What they did with the information was up to them. Aeria couldn’t worry about that. Besides, who would believe a complete and utter stranger.

“So you’re really doing this aren’t you.” Videl said, he was coming around.Then added miserably. “I guess I’ll have to stay in the city until you’re done.”

“Where are you staying Videl?” Adelaide asked.

“I was staying at the Snoring Glory Inn, but they kicked me out a few days ago to accommodate a noble family from Mollia.” Videl said. “All the inns have been increasing their prices as more and more as more of these nobles come trickling in for Radiant Week.”

Inns would charge more as the week approached without a doubt. Even Caius would probably loose the private room he usually kept at the Solid Steam on the weekends. “You’ve been living in the streets.” Aeria said realizing that a lowly knight like Videl probably couldn’t afford the nightly rate anymore. She didn’t think much of knights other than Valor and he seemed to be well off.

"It's not so bad." Videl said dismissively.

There were many orders of knights in the kingdom. Most of which Aeria never bothered to learn. She only knew that the most prestigious was the one in the capital and probably the one Valor was a part of. Much like the Red Glaive, someone had to recommend you for it. To get a recommendation you usually had to come from a wealthy noble family. Videl didn’t have that, he was a hedge knight, squired and knighted by another hedge knight. As such, he was just one step above mercenary. For course, he could prove his worth and gain admittance into an order which would give him access to a good lord to swear his loyalty to. At least, in theory.

“Where did you leave your horse?” Adelaide asked.

“I, I don’t have one.” Videl admitted ashamed. What was a knight without a horse?

“Are you just walking everywhere?” Aeria asked and Videl shrugged.

“How are you supposed to protect my little sister if you don’t even have a horse?! Do you plan on carrying her away from danger Videl?” Adelaide sighed and rang her bell. A servant hurried in. “Run to the glue smith and find out if he still has any of the horses we sent last week. I need the best one returned to me.”

“You don’t have to, I’ve nearly saved enough to buy my own.” Videl said quickly, red with embarrassment but the servant ignored him and rushed off.

“Keep your coins and use them for to enter into the melee on the Warrior’s Day. I’ll make sure you look impressive enough to attract the attention of some order. While Aeria finishes her glaive training you can stay with me here and train with whatever order takes you, if not you can can train with my guards they’re very skilled.”

Videl hesitated, then nodded and bowed his head. It looked like he was about to weep.

“Well, I have to my beauty rest.” Adelaide said exaggerating a yawn to spare Videl any further shame. “I’ll have my servants prepare a sleeping quarters for you.”

“I need to get going.” Aeria said. She had come to Adelaide’s instead of going to the shrine. Elyon, no doubt would be waiting for her.

“I’ll walk you there.” Videl offered but Aeria turned him down.

Aeria changed back into her glaive adept uniform and put the pendant over her head. By the time she was ready to leave, Videl had already fallen asleep. According to the servants he fell asleep almost as soon as he laid down.

“He should’ve come to me sooner.” Adelaide said slightly agitated after shutting the door to his new room.

“I don’t think he wanted to bother you.” Aeria responded. Videl had to swallow a lot of his pride to take what Adelaide was giving him, yet he couldn’t refuse. Honor dictated he could refuse a gift from those he served. Aeria was the same way, yet wasn’t bound by Videl’s code of honor.

“Bother me? My husband is hardly ever here but when he is. . ..” Adelaide stopped when Aeria made a face. “I love having people over, especially when they’re from home. Aeria, you have to come more often too, if not for me then for him.” she said motioning to the shut door. “You’re his charge now. He’ll march right up the Ivory Bastion and hunt you down if he doesn’t hear from you in a while.”

“I will.” Aeria promised. “For the both of you.”

Adelaide hugged her goodbye and begged her to at the very least write. Aeria promised to try and Adelaide gave her a parcel with a couple of dresses so she could “practice” for Radiant Week.

Outside a familiar raven was perched on the gate. “Where have you been?” Aeria said.

”I have other places to go other than your pocket you know.” Arsene said cryptically making Aeria sigh as he flew away yet again. She supposed if she needed him again, his skull would appear in her pouch.

In the stable, Fable was asleep on the floor next to Adelaide’s stableboy who was half covered in hay. Fable didn’t stir when she approached, he was breathing and that’s all Aeria wanted to see. He was in good hands.
♠ ♠ ♠
Many thanks to Aurielle for commenting.