The Red Glaive

LXXII

Aeria fiddled with the bangle Valor’s friend had given her. She wasn’t sure what it was for, but he had said she’d need it. So she pocketed it before leaving the shrine to Adelaide’s. Elyon had given her the week off. She said it was better for Aeria to be off than to have her distracted and rushing to join in the festivities. The Red Glaive had a similar sentiment, stating that most of the adepts hadn’t experienced a Radiant Week before so it was better to let them have it off than to have them train drunk or hung over.

They had all, Niko and Telfer included, agreed to meet at Adelaide’s to brief them in on Adelaide’s complicated itinerary. So as Aeria left the shrine, she was sure to have her uniform and pendant on. Ariel was taking them to meet her sister.

They waited by the gate for her. Aeria had asked Elyon to allow Telfer to be released early he was fully healed, but she always like to be careful. It was where she had gone the day before when she had left Caius in the library. When she had returned he had only read a single page. She scolded him, but as always he brushed it off. She was glad, at least, that he was back to normal now and he wasn’t ignoring her.

“I didn’t know you came from such a wealthy family.” Telfer said looking at the mansion on the other side of the gate.

“We don’t.” Aeria said. “She married into it.”

“Most of the houses here were in the ancients style, this one though looks like it was built in the classical style. See the arches? And the way they support the upper balconies?” Niko said pointing at things only he could notice. “The courtyard too, see how big it is relative to size of the property? To build something like this here, it would mean something else would have had to been torn down and rebuilt I wonder-“

“Niko?”

“Hm?” Niko turned to look at Caius who rapped him on the forehead with two fingers. “Ow.” Niko said rubbing his forehead.

“Thank you.” Both Aeria and Telfer said in unison.

Niko pouted, then laughed. “It’s an interesting building is what I’m trying to say.”

Videl emerged from within the mansion, and waved for the guards to let them in. “I think we should wait out here.” He said his face still red with embarrassment.

“The duke has arrived isn’t he.” Aeria said knowing all too well from all the times she had walked in on them in the short time she lived with her sister what that was like. Videl nodded slowly. Aeria laughed. “Well these are my other friends. Nikorni Grieppila and Telfer.”

“You can call me Niko.” Niko said shaking his hand with a smile.

Telfer, ever serious, repeated the action and said. “You can call me Telfer.” Said with a straight face and Videl chuckled.

“Name’s Videl.” He said tapping his chest. “I’ve known that idiot since he was a kid.” He said nodding to Aeria.

“And I’ve been putting your ass to the floor since you were a kid.” Aeria replied quickly. She has asked him to treat her as he would any man when she was Ariel. She was glad he wasn’t holding back.

“How about we he have a bout then.” Videl said.

“Well, one of us definitely needs the practice.” Aeria responded.

“I thought we were going to the parade?” Telfer said with a sigh. Last thing he wanted to do on his week off was more training.

Just then Adelaide’s servant emerged from inside. “It’s safe to come in.” He said and they all walked in.

Adelaide’s face was flushed and she was still only half dressed. She didn’t seem to care. She sat on her duke’s lap, who caressed her back. His shirt was unbuttoned and his coat was strewn across the floor.

“We won't be joining you today. We’re going to be a little busy. . .” Adelaide said looking down at Duke Lonroth, not just his face but the small bit of his exposed chest, lower. . . She snapped her gaze back to them, “But I told you the best spot, and the lords are sure to put on a good show, the prince is riding with Lord Oimni’s host.”

“So you’re not coming at all?” Adelaide had said it was an all day event. Perhaps later?

“We see this thing every year,” the duke said. “The lords try to differentiate their marches every year, but live here long enough and you’ll have seen it all. There’ll be nothing new for us.” His eyes glances at Videl then back at Adelaide. “We have things to discuss.”

“Yes,” Adelaide said with a wink. “Things.

“Real things Adelaide.” the duke said making Adelaide pout.

Adelaide sighed. “If you see Aget, do your absolute best to embarrass her for me.” she said. “She might or might not be riding with Lord Whittal’s host.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Another short update, hmmm. Things getting shuffled about, but it's coming. . . slowly. I'll just say this, next chapter is going to have a new POV if I don't move stuff around again.

Many thanks to Aurielle and angiebaby for commenting, ya'll keep this story alive.