The Red Glaive

LXXVI

“Gods above. . .” was all Adelaide could say when Aeria told her who Valor really was.

“You’re absolutely certain?” Aget said. Aeria nodded. She had only told them after they had all caught with Aget, and they had caught her up with everything that had transpired at the capital. She didn’t seem too surprised at Aeria’s escape from Dorian Stone claiming she would’ve done the same.

In an adjoining room, Aget’s husband spoke business with Duke Lonroth, while Caius, Niko, and Telfer, all sparred with Videl as the day of the melee loomed nearer.

“Your midnight mystery man is Prince Valerian?!” Adelaide exclaimed her eyes wide. “He was in the city this whole time?! Wait, you’re the supposed mystery woman no one shuts up about! Aeria how could you not know?!”

“It’s not like he was wearing a flashy crown or anything like that! He just looks so. . .” he wore fine clothes but she had seen other Barons wear finer, “ordinary.” Aeria said. At least in the oasis he did. The person marching in that parade hardly looked at him at all. So cold. . . “His friend,” his name had yet again escaped her, “gave me this.” Aeria showed them the bracelet. Adelaide’s eyes widened.

“The Vicious Storm gave you his endorsement and blessing to enter the Pauper’s Pageant!?” Adelaide said her eyes widening more than Aeria had thought possible.

Aeria and Aget glanced at each other clueless. Adelaide groaned in frustration.

“Back in his day, King Iracundur grew tired of all the games his potential suitors played within his court so he decided to hold the first ever Pauper’s Pageant where low born women were allowed to compete for the King’s affection. It was meant as an insult to King Iracundur’s court. As if to say that any woman was their equal. But it was ultimately baseborn Dela who won over the king and became Queen.” Adelaide said. “Records say that theirs was one of the happier marriages. The Pauper’s Pageant has been in place since then.”

“You know, you could’ve be a true scholar with the amount of time you spent reading royal histories.” Aget said taking a sip of her tea. Adelaide glared at her sister, who only smiled.

“So with this pageant. . .” Aeria said still holding the bracelet. Her ticket in. “What does it mean for me and Valor?”

“That he can court you no matter of your rank.” Adelaide said. “Once you register you’ll be off limits to any other man for the duration of the pageant, but he chooses to court you. . .” The implication was clear. She would no longer need to hide from those who had known her.

“Aeria, this sounds like a solution.” Aget said. Did it?

“Well, it’s not what it once was.” Adelaide said, “many Ladies have petitioned successfully to have all sorts of rules and stipulations added on, it’s a little ridiculous.”

“What kinds of rules?” Aget asked.

“The rule to allow spectators for one. The rule of selection, of an unbiased choice, the right to select judges, exclusivity rights, all sorts of things. The court made sure not to allow another queen to be selected from the Pauper’s Pageant, or at least make it very difficult. They treat it as a joke really, a chance to laugh and belittle the lower nobility. Many a king has selected their mistresses from it though.”

“And Prince Valerian’s Storm Knight expects Aeria to go through with this?” Aget said dismayed. “Does he expect his friends to laugh at our sister?”

“Then we don’t give them that chance! We dress Aeria in the finest dresses money can buy! Coach her in etiquette!”

“You think that will be enough? All they will see is someone how isn’t one of them.”

“I’ll do it.” Aeria said silencing them both. Always the hardest path, but it was the one she wanted most. Aget looked concerned, Adelaide excited. “Where do we begin?”

“Well,” Adelaide said putting a pensive hand on her chin. “With that,” she pointed at the bangle, “we can register you to the pageant. The exhibition is tonight though. It’s the perfect place to make an appearance. We didn’t expect to go, but we bought three boxes anyway.”

First thing to do: Be seen. At least that’s what Adelaide said. That she, as Aeria Finch, needed to be seen in public even if no one knew her name. That way she wouldn’t enter as complete and utter stranger. Registration for the Pauper’s Pageant started that night so Aeria would only get once shot during the Lords’ Exhibition. Normally, Adelaide had said, it was just Mollian soldiers doing drills. This year, however, the Intoner would sing. Not to be outdone, the enchantress of Aestus decided that she would dance. That somehow snowballed into having nearly every lord have a performance during this year’s exhibition.

Aeria needed to get people talking. What better way to do that than by arriving in a gilded carriage, without an escort to the King’s Amphitheater. The only companionship she had was Adelaide’s servant, Fides. Though that didn’t seem nearly enough. Aeria took at least a little comfort in finding Fable pulling her carriage.

Aeria wore the golden dress, with the metal bodice. The more extravagant of the dresses Adelaide had made for her. She had kept it flat, without all the petticoats underneath, more in the Aestus style that seemed to be getting more popular, with a long slit on the side. Aeria waited uncomfortably in her carriage waiting for her turn. A thick collar of rubies around her neck prevented her from moving her neck too much, but Adelaide said the red of the rubies distracted from the red of her eyes. She wasn’t allowed to touch her face or hair, which Adelaide had spent hours fussing over. Every time she tried she felt Adelaide’s magic, like spiderwebs attached to her fingers pulling them back, keeping her from physically touching Adelaide’s work.

Everything just felt wrong. Aeria had worn dresses before, just nothing like this. She had never gone anywhere without someone there welcoming her. It felt like she was heading straight into a pit of vipers.

Fides left to park the carriage. He would meet her inside as her servant for the night. “The Lady Aeria Finch of Cypress Grove.” her name was announced as she entered the lobby. Aeria’s palms were sweaty. Inside, men and women wearing small fortunes lounged before the show began. Very few people turned to look at her. Though she knew she was supposed to draw attention, she was glad for it.

The space was small but heavily adorned. Thick carpets lined the floor and gold curtains hang before each entryway. Statues lined the walls along with electric lamps.

Adelaide, Aget, and the whole lot were attending too, though Adelaide made it a point to say they would arrive fashionably late. For now, she was on her own with Fides, whenever he made his way inside.

You’re never alone,” Arsene’s voice came in her head. “Not truly.” She scanned the crowd only to find him perched on one of the lamps. No one seemed to pay him any mind.

“Are you going to move?” A pudgy faced lady said from behind her. Area jumped then blushed a deep crimson. Already, she was failing. The lady’s face was painted white like many of the Glacians liked. She marched up to Aeria’s former spot where she was announced as Lady Emulppa Immomark.

Get a few drinks, mingle, and be seen then go to your box. That’s it.” Arsene’s said repeating what Adelaide had said. Had he been listening?

It seemed so simple, but without her pants or her comfortable shirts, Aeria felt completely and utterly out of her element. Still only one thought pervaded her thoughts; this was Valor’s world and she wanted to be a part of it. She hadn’t given up on becoming a glaive, she wouldn’t give up on him.

Aeria didn’t have a table, like many of the lords did, she found herself making her way towards the bar were there was an empty stool to sit on. She had only been on her feet a few minutes, but already they burned. She warned Adelaide that she wasn’t ready for a heel of this size but Adelaide was adamant and now Aeria inched her way to the only empty stool to prevent tripping over her own feet.

The barkeep seemed surprised to see her but regained her composure quickly. “A sweet cider perhaps?” he suggested. Aeria had never heard of it, but she didn’t want to risk making a fool of herself by drinking something she wasn’t familiar with then coughing it up, or worse, when she didn’t like the taste.

“Red ale please.” she said. It was the only drink she had tolerated on the few nights she had gone out with Caius. Considering the situation, she would need a few drinks to calm her nerves.

The barkeep raised an eyebrow, “a red ale for the lady.” he said before walking away to fill her cup. The man next to her turned to face her.

“A red ale?” the man said looking her up and down. “You drink red ale?” Dark hair, and tan skin, he was of Aestus. His eyes stood out vividly green.

The barkeep returned with her ale, he had placed in a small glass cup like all the ladies were drinking out of. Not the mug she was used to.

Be mysterious. Answer questions with questions. Leave them talking about you. That’s what Adelaide had wanted her to do. Aeria met the man’s gaze and he shrank back before the red of her eyes. Adelaide had claimed that by wearing a ruby collar and bright red lips they would draw away from the red of her eyes. Clearly that wasn’t the case.

“What’s wrong with red ale?” Aeria said trying her best not to sound bothered by his reaction to her eyes. But he masked that unsettledness quickly.

“It’s a strong drink.” he said with a smile leaning closer, seemingly intrigued. Then as if trying to prove something, Aeria downed all the ale in her tiny cup. It was slightly bitter, and it fizzed down her throat, but once it settled she felt a little warmer.

“I like strong. . .things?” It was too late to abort her words.

“My lady!” Fides had somehow managed to find her after coming in through the servant’s entrance. He walked up to her rather frantically. “Your table is ready!” he said, slightly wide eyed.

“My. . .table?” she was sure she didn’t have one, but the frantic look on Fides’ face made her go with him.

“Might I join you?” the man at the bar asked.

“Absolutely not.” Fides said before Aeria could even respond. A few of the ladies giggled as Aeria walked by. Surely, her walking couldn’t be that terrible. It wasn’t until they were a good distance away that Fides whispered, “The bars are for the men.”

There was no table. Aeria avoided absolutely everyone until it was time to go to her box. Fides, thankfully, didn’t leave her alone. She wandered the hall trying her best to ignore the laughs aimed at her direction or the disapproving glances. Fides, that beautiful man, kept everyone who tried to approach her away.

There were items displayed on pedestals from each of the territories. Sacred items, some even said to have once belonged to the gods, put on display for the nobles to give them nothing but a passing unimpressed glance. Aeria wished Niko was with her. She smiled at the thought, he’d be absolutely fawning over some of the items. Gushing out about what made a certain box special or why that lance was so highly regarded.

Aeria stopped at a group of men huddled around a small table, Fides trailing behind her. They parted when the saw her, not a one saying a thing to her. On the table was what looked like a scarf, only thousands of tiny strings, some thicker than others, protruded from it from which coins were attached.

“Are you buying a cord my lady?” one of attendants said stifling what sounded like laughter. Aeria heard Fides step up but before he said anything Aeria shook her head. Fides seemed relieved.

“What’s it for?” Aeria asked him once they were away.

“A lottery of some sort.” Fides said. “For a night with the Enchantress of Aestus.” She was glad she had adverted that embarrassment.

She walked the hall aimlessly, until Fides told her she should head for her box. Her feet were battered but she was glad to finally be able to sit down. Fides stood silently at her doorway, though she hoped he would sit down next to her she knew he wouldn’t.

The amphitheater was massive. With four tiers of seats. All the rich nobility sat on the lowest, ground tier closest to the stage. On the rear of those seats, there were partitioned sections with comfortable sofas. From her box on the tier just above, Aeria could see into most of them, most of the Lords lounged within on comfortable couches tended by a host of servants. The largest of these boxes was empty, with servants tidying up within.

A short while later, Aeria found Adelaide and all of them, Aget, Duke Lonroth, Baron Heron, Caius, Videl, Telfer, and Niko all clamoring into the two boxes next to her and she wished more than anything to be over there with them.

Adelaide had said that if she arrived alone and without an escort the nobles would talk, maybe that talk would reach the prince. If she arrived alone, there would be no question when she joined that Pauper’s Pageant, that she was interested in anyone else other than the prince. It made sense, in the whole scheme of things.

Aeria hated it, for her it only achieved one thing; to make her feel isolated. Apart from everyone else, she felt small and weak.

Can you believe the tiny mug of ale they gave me for ten whole coppers?” Set sat in the chair next to her, Caius’ voice coming out of him as a whisper the lights were dimmed the show would start soon.

Aeria smiled she reached into her bag to find Arsene’s skull there. “At least you got a mug.” Aeria whispered back. “They only gave me this teeny tiny glass.”

You sat at the bar? Dressed like that?” she could almost hear Caius’ laughter. Suddenly that embarrassment didn't feel so bad.

“Force of habit.” Aeria said when Arsene returned. “Which I completely blame you for.”

Caius and Aeria continued to speak as the amphitheater slowly filled with people, until Bara appeared with Niko’s voice going on and on about the history of the amphitheater, the structures, which kings had remodeled it, which additions belonged to which kings. Aeria did her best to ignore him, but Bara was insistent.

Below, the nobles chatted idly. Their conversations all melding into a single cacophony of noise. They didn’t matter. Caius made her laugh as they waited and Aeria didn’t feel alone anymore. The chatter noise dimmed before silencing completely. The lights hadn’t dimmed, it wasn’t time yet was it?

Valor casually strolled in, Lady Kireina - in a stunning white dress - by his side followed by his Storm Knight. They walked to the large box right in the center of the the first tier. Once they had entered the chatter resumed. From above Aeria could see what was going on within the partitioned boxes below. The servants tended to Valor and Lady Kireina as they entered. They settled down together, with the Storm Knight standing nearby.

The only thing Aeria could think; Why? The Lord of Glacies had his own box, just a few down from them. Why had the Lady instead chosen to watch with Valor?

She didn’t have time to give it much thought, the electric bulbs dimmed, leaving only the flickering candlelight, then the show began.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you Aurielle for the comment!

More to come.