The Red Glaive

LXXVIII

Prince Valerian caught Kireina before she fell. Her eyes were shut and she looked close to fainting. “I’m fine, I’m fine.” she said her voice weak. Elric had jumped when he saw her knees go weak but now watched on concerned.

“Rei. . .” Valerian said and she smiled at him faintly. “Come sit.” he said leading her to their sofa. Then he wrapped an arm around her and pulled her close to allow her rest her head against his shoulder as she fought off sleep.

Gretommo had prided in his daughter being an Intoner. Nobody could know how big of a toll her singing took had on her. Rei had said she wanted to sing for the people of Lux Aeterna when she arrived, but her father had only allowed it so long as Valerian was there to keep her from revealing how much of a burden it was for her. It wasn’t her voice she sang with, as she had explained long ago, but the voice of the Goddess herself. Bridging that link took a lot from anyone outside his family.

Not that Valerian would know, he had yet to ascend.

“Should I get her something?” Ancilla asked with a shrug.

“I’ll be alright, I just need a quick rest.” she said. As if hearing her words from onstage, Rei’s lion wandered off the stage. It had taken a while for Rei to convince Oshio Kio that she would fine without him for a short period. Even Valerian had to vow to keep her safe before he allowed it. The lion trusted him.

The Mollian soldiers came on stage doing the same exact drills they did every year. None of the Storm Knights preformed anything despite Elia volunteering to showcase her abilities as an electromancer. Valerian had never seen her abilities though Elric claimed his twin was far better than he was. Lord Alric had denied her claiming that their destructive power should never be used for spectacle. It was their burden as Talbains to preserve it.

While Elia was always glad to showcase her magic, Valerian couldn’t think of a single time he had seen Elric doing so. Valerian had heard the stories though, of that time when Elric abandoned his duties as Valerian’s sworn guardian. Horrible things that earned him the name The Vicious Storm, things that had forever changed Elric from the man he once was.

Valerian remembered the time, after a three years’ absence, Elric returning to him in Glacies. He was a shadow of a man then, haunted by the things he had done to quell rebellions in Aestus. Slowly, he and Rei - mostly Rei - had brought him back to life. The carnage Elric caused now hesitated to draw his sword from his sheath, only doing so when absolutely necessary.

Both of them, Rei and Elric, Valerian had known for as long as he could remember. His guardian and his casual betrothed.

Valerian didn’t particularly have feelings for Rei in that way, but she did seem like the best choice amongst all the ladies and she was a wonderful woman. And after Kandra. . . Valerian was fine with it. Elric would never object, neither would Rei. But Valerian hoped not to resort to that, his father had given him permission to choose before he settled with Rei. Not that Valerian had actually been looking for anyone. . .

The Mollian soldiers dragged on with their drills and Valerian smiled thinking of Elyon. Out of no where, she had come into his life like a blazing hot sun shedding new light into his life. He wanted her in his life in every way, even now he wished it was she, not Rei, in his arms. He wanted to share with her everything he had, just to see her forget about her woes and smile. More than anything, he wanted to hold her in his arms in a heated embrace.

He should have told her as Elric had said then it would be she, not Rei, by his side now. He’d been dreaming of her lately. Vivid dreams that didn’t feel of such, most faded from his memory as the day wore on. Only her face and her tender touch lingered long afterwards. That he could not forget.

Now, he was hearing her? He could’ve sworn he had heard her calling him during the parade, his name like breath whispered in his ear sending shivers down his spine. He had stopped then, terrified that she had in fact shown up despite Elric’s reassurances. But not he, or any of Elric’s scouts, had spotted her amongst the endless sea of faces. Elric hadn’t heard her and Valerian had wondered if he had dreamt it.

He wondered where she was now, if she was safe. Men were not allowed within the shrine beyond the infirmary, the best he could hope for was that she was behind those walls. He knew, however, she wouldn’t stay there once Radiant Week began. This was a woman who snuck out to visit the Oasis, surely she’d be drawn to the festivities as well. What would she think of them? She wasn’t a local, he doubted she had experienced something Radiant Week before.

Strange, how tiresome the festivities seemed before, they were virtually the same every year, now he looked forward to simply because he knew she’d be there too. It was absurd, the celebrations were city wide, still, it brought him comfort knowing that despite the distance, they’d be celebrating together. He tired not to think of who she might be spending that time with instead focusing on the promise she had given him.

She had promised him, to return to that place where Valerian felt most at peace. He hadn’t allowed anyone there, but somehow, having Elyon there just made it all that much better. She’d be there the second Radiant Week was over, with the celebrations finished so did Valerian’s obligations.

Rei stirred, pulling away from Valerian. “Thank you.” she said having recovered enough to hold herself up and Valerian nodded.

Elric came over. “My lady, you should rest.” she smiled.

“Ever formal Elric.” she said taking the cup of tea Ancilla had prepared for her. “I’ve told you before, you can call me Rei.” Valerian had called her 'Rei Rei' as child, but settled on Rei now. He knew Elric enough to know he never would be so informal with her.

“I’ve known her all of ten hours and I already call her Rei.” Ancilla said earning her a glare form Elric. Ancilla shrugged, “Thought that was her name, Val calls her that.”

“Do you have even the faintest idea of curtesy?” Elric said exasperated.

Ancilla shrugged again, “I clean and bring you all your food, don’t need to know much more than that.” Valerian smiled. Ancilla was simple and to the point, it was the reason he had kept her for so long. That and she didn’t spread malicious rumors like the other serving girls even though she was one of the few who could.

Elric was still frowning, but Rei was watching him with a gentle smile on her face.

A loud screeching horn filled the stage before them startling the Mollian soldiers from their drills as they approached their second hour.

Valerian raised an eyebrow. That was certainly new.

_______________________________________________________________________

Videl sat with Aeria’s friends feeling horribly out of place. He fiddled with a gold button on his coat, not quite filling it. Adelaide had gotten them all fine clothes to wear tonight, both Videl and Caius wore what she had given them during their dinner now finely tailored. Telfer and Niko had to make due with what they could get on short notice though Adelaide promised to get theirs tailored too. Glancing at Caius, Videl could help but feel envious. Caius looked like a warrior in anything he wore and it made Videl miss his armor.

Aeria’s friends laughed and joked with one another and even spoke to Aeria as if she was there with them. Strange. But once the performances began, they fell silent and Videl glanced to his left where he could only just make out Adelaide and Aget, and the next box over Aeria’s silhouette loomed like a shadow. But they were all there, safe. He would die for each and every one of them.

Videl had sworn to Donavan Finch, his Baron, that he would find out what happened to his daughter and bring her home if possible. Then a second vow, to Aeria, that he would take her home only after she was done with her glaive training.

So now all he had to do was wait. That, and join a proper order so he wouldn’t have to depend on Adelaide anymore.

The Mollian soldiers were on stage, they formed tight lines then with a shout from their commander, brought down shields to form a wall. Swordsmen carried the shields with spearmen right behind them, the longer length of their spears allowing them to strike from behind. Behind them, knights stood in gleaming armor shouting different commands. In battle they’d be atop horses.

It was interesting, watching how combat tactics played out. As a knight himself, Videl wouldn’t be in the front lines, though he doubted he’d ever be given a battalion to lead. Those were reserved for lesser noblemen. Perhaps if Donavan Finch ever went to war Videl could lead there, but Baron Finch would never risk his own people that way.

It seemed like every Mollian Lord and Baron wanted to show off their soldiers. Their part was the longest of the night so far. However intrigued he might’ve been initially, Videl grew bored as Mollia just kept coming. Caius had left and come back bring them all drinks, and a tiny platter of cheese he had lifted off one of the servants. Videl downed his drink and after a short while started to feel drowsy, how late was it? Aestus was still after this. He didn’t think he would make it.

Videl was startled awake by the cracking sound of a horn.

On the stage, Aestian foot soldiers flooded the stage. Unlike the Mollian soldiers who wore traditional uniforms, the Aestians came in wearing hide armor the type they’d wear to battle. Videl recognized them from the day before, the Inferno Legion. A few carried massive drums strapped to their backs which men beat to the beat of the rapid strings. From the throngs of reds and whites, a man was hoisted into the air by his men to a ruckus cheer as they completely ignored the stupefied Mollians.

They paraded their leader around the stage, those carrying him more than happy to do so, while their captain stood on the their hands. He raised a fist in the air and his men cheered. He repeated the act over and over, his men never wavering, completely ignoring the Mollian soldiers until he was dropped right in front of them surrounded by his men.

In beat, each and every man in the Legion, beat their fist over their chest twice. Then all of them together advanced, in step, into the Mollian soldiers. Some of the soldiers raised their shields, most were hesitant, they looked back at their commanders waiting for an order that would be impossible to hear over the Legion’s blasting music. Without a clear order, the Mollian soldiers stepped away.

In a smooth spin, the captain turned towards the audience and began to sing as if he hadn’t just bullied Mollian soldiers off the stage. The audience shifted nervously, uncomfortable with how easily the Mollain vanguard had been pushed away. Undaunted, the captain continued, his voice guttural and his words fast, foreign and rhythmic, Videl couldn’t understand any of it but he wasn’t sleepy anymore.

The captain flailed about in a strange dance that would’ve looked ridiculous if his men weren't all doing it too, perfectly, in rhythm and completely and utterly honored to stand by his side.

From the constantly moving throngs, a dancer surged forward with a large drum and presented it to his captain who smiled who beat on it with a stick. The music continued, upbeat and repetitive like a war beat to march to. Or, by the looks on their faces, a victory beat. When the captain was done, he tossed the stick and stepped back, his men surged around him, moving their steps to match his.

He was presented again, with a few dishes in which he thrust his hands and threw back a fine yellow colored powder all the while continuing to sing in that rhythmic tone. A ritual of some sort? Niko seemed to recognize it as he stared forward, wide eyed his hands on his head.

They all wore similar clothing, with minor differences to distinguish certain units perhaps? Even the captain himself wore the same long leather armor as his men, the only difference that he didn't wear a helmet. He would’ve been easily lost amongst the ranks of his own men if he hadn’t placed himself front and center.

Videl understood then; this is a man who charged into battle with his men, he didn’t stand behind the lines safe while his men died. And his men adored him for that. That was the type of leader Videl wanted to be.

There was no time to cheer when the legion was done. There was a loud flash so bright it left Videl blinded for a few moments. When Videl opened his eyes again, Austain women in yellow silks flooded the stage, coming through the narrow gaps between the armored men. The wore flowing pants that Videl had never seen before, and short, tight tops that exposed their midriff. Videl couldn't look away.

Then men cleared the stage, where their movements had been powerful and frantic, the women were graceful but just as hectic. Among them the Enchantress, the only one in red, danced, veiled but with a sheer fabric this time, revealing dark curled locks cascading down her back and a voluptuous body. The way she moved her hips was utterly hypnotizing, any sense of duty he might’ve been thinking about just up and vanished out the window watching her.

The captain returned with the cloth from outside now covered with cord attached coins in every denomination and wrapped it around the Enchantress’ waist to a ruckus cheer from most of the men in the theater. She swung her hips and dozens of coins fell off making them go wild. Caius had made them all buy cords for a night with this Enchantress. Watching her, Videl was glad he had.

“Who do you think will get it?” Telfer said sounding eager and the Enchantress shook off even more coins.

“Oh, no.” Niko said his face white. He had bought a cord too, the second strongest in fact.

“You need to get over your shrine girl anyway.” Caius said leaning back in his seat, but out of all of them he had bought the weakest cord.

Videl tried to think. Where had he tied his coin? Laid on the table his coin was attached on the top right. On her, it would rest somewhere on her right hip. That section was looking rather bare. . .

The Enchantress spun, her flowing silks spinning around her narrow waist, then came to sudden stop losing even more coins. She would stop, then swing her hips from side to side in a way Videl didn’t think was possible shedding more coins. His section was clear of coins, making Videl sigh. What would he do with a woman like that anyhow? She seemed more like the type of woman for Caius who looked on only marginally intrigued. He seemed rather pensive.

The music hit a crescendo, and sparks, like white embers, shot out of the sticks some of the women were holding. What sort of magic were they using? They couldn’t be pyromancers, they were women. Those sticks shed out smoke like that of a fire but with a more distinct smell. The white embers fell on the Enchantress as she shed the last of the coins. All except one dangling at the very bottom. The music quelled. Even at a distance Videl could see the clear coin. A pure diamond mark. Worth a fortune.

Only one person could afford something like that.

“Prince Valerian.” The Enchantress said, her voice a sultry sound. “Come claim your prize.”

The prince was ushered onto the stage, by the dancing women of the Enchantress’ troop. His face stoic though he smiled slightly when the Enchantress wrapped her shawl around his neck pulling him closer.

Videl frowned, glancing down at the prince’s box below at the golden haired woman sitting there.

Sometimes life just wasn’t fair.
♠ ♠ ♠
I really need to start outlining, this chapter just keeps getting longer and longer. No, it's not done yet, it was getting too long again. Just one last part left though, which I'll post as soon as it's done. There's only one POV missing so far, so I guess you have an idea of what's coming next.

Many, many thank yous Aurielle for your comment!