The Red Glaive

LXXXIV

Blood covered the floor as Elyon clutched her hands over her mouth to keep herself from screaming. The man’s right arm was gone, and chest had been torn open, his lungs - pink and blanketed by darker red veins - still expanded, his heart visible from within his missing chest still beat furiously. Blood everywhere. This man was still alive.

“Damn the devil that did this.” Sister Amare said hovering over another patient, a small boy who was only missing his lower leg. Light flowed from her hands into the stump where the boy’s leg used to be.

Elyon was only four, but sister Amare had already trained her on how to deal with patients like these. A devil had mesmerized them. They were paralyzed, but still conscious, while the devil started to tear apart their flesh.

“Please, sister! My husband!” A woman cried frantic trying to yanking sister Amare to the man on the other table.

“I need to stem the bleeding on your son first. I’ll fix to your husband after.” Amare said calmly. That seemed to reassure the woman, but Elyon knew Amare. The boy’s leg was well enough to be left alone there was no way to save the husband.

Finally, after the boy fell asleep from Amare’s calming, healing light, did she move to the husband. His breaths were raspy but he refused to surrender. “A bent twig, a summer in its care, white vast open sea. . .” Amare began signing the song she had sang to Elyon whenever she cried. It was different now for Elyon, chilling instead of soothing.

Elyon slunk down to the floor her small hands still covering her mouth. The woman started to sob, understanding without knowing what was happening. Elyon looked away, watching the blood slowly inch towards her. “On the wings of a phantom moon, comes to take me home..

The husband’s breathing slowed his heart stopped palpitating. Despite the paralysis, he smiled and his body went limp. His wife wailed and wailed, and Elyon too found herself weeping.

“Elyon, child.” Amare said long after the woman’s wails had ceased. She had been granted Sanctuary within their walls for she had no where else to go. Elyon looked up from the small flask that was slowly taking form in her hands. “Never leave the walls of the Shrine where the devils wait for you.”

Elyon said nothing. Only the image of the husband’s mangled corpse, burned permanently in her mind, remained as a reminder.

“The Red Glaive. . .”

“You can’t expect them to be everywhere.” Sister Amare said. Glaives, there were never enough glaives. Everyday more and more injured came, shattered and maimed, because a glaive didn’t show up, or showed up too late. “Don’t ever leave the shrine child, or the devils will surely get you.”

Elyon nodded. A silent promise to both Amare, who had raised her, and to herself.

“You’re all done sir.” Elyon said pulling her hands away from the elderly man’s hip. Gravis had come alone, with a massive bruise on his side, said he fell but thought he’d get better over time. He only got worse. Elyon had healed the hairline fracture, then the flesh around it the break, then finally dispersed the blood that caused the bruising. Good as new.

“Why, I feel better than before!” Gravis said standing without his cane. Elyon smiled. “Thank you, thank you very much.” he said handing Elyon a small pouch of coins. A donation. She never liked taking them but she knew they’d be needed.

Elyon walked Gravis out of the infirmary, right up to the door way then stopped. Gravis didn’t notice, he waved happily as he went.

The setting sun was still bright, and white birds flew in the distance. Elyon smiled feeling the heat of the sun against her face, turned, and returned to work.

* * *


Playing had always relaxed him. After a few weeks of not touching it, Niko played his citole atop an abandoned watch tower on the outer edge of Argent district. It sat right on the cliff on the farthest side of the wall that encased all of Lux Aeterna. Hardly anyone ever came this way, not even the city guard since the sheer cliff beneath offered all the protection it needed.

It was the perfect place for Niko to practice.

He strummed his fingers along the cords and beautiful music echoed back from within the chamber of his instrument. Niko couldn’t quite call it a citole anymore, now could he? After he had seen the massive stringed instruments the Aestians had brought with them he had to change his. It had taken him a few hours, he had carved the largest piece himself. That had taken him a couple days of carving in secret in his room, not that it was that hard to hide anything Telfer. He slept like rock.

His contraption wasn’t as big as the instruments that the Aestians had. Those required two people. Niko’s instrument had to be smaller, built for one but with that similar sound. It had the same basic shape as his old citole but much more pear shaped to allow for deeper tones. It had six strings, those he had bought of the Aestian musicians.

Now that it was done, he had to play, much to Bara’s delight. She sat by him, examining as he played a few notes, then carved some position marks along longer neck.

Then when he was satisfied with the sounds his instrument produced, Niko let go and he played.

Played for the joy he felt at completing it, he played the rhythm he had heard the Aestians play, the rhythm of the clashing of swords in the training grounds, the rhythm to the sound of the waves crashing down below, the rhythm of the wind hitting his face. The rhythm of his life, of his feeling. The music he made, it was his and was him.

Niko finished with a flourish and smile. His music was who he was as if showing others would reveal his inner most thoughts and feelings. As such, it something he liked to keep very, very private. He couldn’t play when others were watching. To Niko someone listening would be like someone reading his personal diary. Which absolutely did not have. Nope.

Lovely! Bara said music in her voice too. Bara was the only one allowed to listen because she already was in his head.

“There’s still a few tweaks I have to do, but as it is now I’d say I can call it finished.” Niko said standing. He held his improved citole in his hand, he’d have to make a new strap his old one was way too short.

Satisfied with what he had created Niko left the tower. He walked the streets back towards Ariel’s sister’s mansion picking up new rhythm as he went. The rhythm of the wheels hitting the cobble stones, the rhythm of the people bargaining in the market, the rhythm of the children playing. All them, analyzed and stored for later.

He wasn’t really paying attention, mostly he followed Bara around like he usually did. Niko liked to watch as he listened. Despite his time there he could not fail to notice the innate beauty of all the buildings and statues that littered the Argent District. Most of which was ignored by the people who walked by them everyday. It always amazed him how long someone, so long ago, had labored over some of the stone carvings he walked by.

“Uh Bara? We’re going the wrong way.” Niko said noting the grey stone of the Shrine. Had they really wandered so far off course so quickly?

I don’t think so,” Bara said hopping atop the stone barrier that held the Shrine’s planted medical herbs.

“I don’t think this is a smart idea.” Niko said nervously.

You told your friends you’d ask her,”

They had told him to just ask Elyon to spend Radiant Week with him since he couldn’t shut up about her. How could he be quiet about her when Caius or Telfer would bring her up constantly? What was he supposed to stay? That Elyon wasn’t the most beautiful, most caring, hardworking girl he’d ever met?

And she wanted nothing to do with him.

Niko sat on the barrier next to Bara. “I think I just need to forget about her Bara.” Niko said with a sad smile. Thankfully there wasn’t any people visiting the shrine at this hour. Most were getting ready for the start of Radiant Week the following day. “I don’t think she feels the same way I do and I don’t want to keep bothering her anymore.”

Bara didn’t say anything. Instead, she walked up to him and nuzzled her face against his arm giving him comfort when he was hurting.

* * *


The man was old, sick, water in his lungs and suffering terribly. Elyon could only heal the damaged lungs so far and could not remove the water. This man would slowly drown in his own fluids. Elyon placed her hands over his head and started to sing her song of comfort.

Will the circle, be unbroken. . .” and so she began, bracing herself for the grief that was to come.

* * *


Niko sat outside, unable to actually bring himself to leave.

by and by, by and by.” A haunting voice escaped from a window above where Niko sat. It sounded remarkably like Elyon. “There’s a better home awaiting in the sky,”

It was another rhythm, one that reminded him of only one person. Terrifying, yet peaceful. A tricky rhythm. Niko glanced around. There was no one headed his way. He had to match it before he lost it.

You can picture happy gatherings, ‘round the fireside long ago. . .

It was slow, melodic. Beautiful. Niko held his improved citole close and strummed the strings trying to match the rhythm of the melody. It was too slow and Niko couldn’t hold a note. Instead he added more notes, soft ones to match the rhythm. It took him longer than usual, but he got the base of the rhythm down.

Niko stayed there, long after the singing had stopped trying to prefect the only thing he could keep of Elyon.

* * *


Elyon didn’t cry anymore after she helped someone pass. It didn’t hurt any less. Sisters were allowed a short break after each one. She wasn’t sure she needed one, there so many others who needed her. . .

There was a strange soft music coming from outside the window. Gentle and warm. “Huh?” Had celebrations started early? No, they never came this close to the shrine. Elyon stood on her tippy toes hoping see what was going on outside but the window was too high up and she couldn’t see anything.

She sat there listening as Sister Olia came to dress the body. It was a familiar sound. It was. . . it was her song!

Elyon rushed out of the room and out the hall of the fading, into the central hub, her music grew louder as she entered the hub then louder still by the door and then she stopped. Beyond the music continued, her feet frozen at the doorway.

She leaned over trying to catch a glimpse but could see nothing over the curve of the building. Her foot slipped and she stepped forward to catch herself then gasped as her foot left the shrine grounds.

A husbands mangled body, and his wife’s wails. Elyon shut her eyes, the music filling her thoughts.

No night devil came rushing out to kill her. Swallowing the lump in her throat she placed her other foot outside. Still no devils. She took a deep breath. Nothing was coming, she steeled herself then stepped far enough to see a familiar blond haired boy utterly engrossed in playing his strange citole to absolutely no one.

She stood there for a moment watching him play with a small smile on her face, no longer afraid of the devils that would come. Because Niko was there, she felt safe.

“What are you doing?” Elyon finally said causing Niko to cut off his song and awkwardly jump to his feet. When he saw her, his face turned a beet red and Elyon had to stifle a small grin.

“I, uh, I just got a little lost.” he said embarrassed. “I’m sorry. I was just, uh, leaving. I’m sorry for bothering you.” He turned to leave.

She didn’t want him to leave. Elyon was outside the shrine walls and she felt safe only because Niko was around.

* * *


“Niko wait!” she said and Niko’s heart skipped a beat at hearing her call his name. He practically floated to her side.

Niko should be horrified. Music was his most personal experience, meant for himself and only himself. And it, it was her voice he was trying to replicate. Her rhythm. The embarrassment only lasted until he realized it was Elyon who had startled him and not someone else.

“Can you play that for me again?” she said.

Niko nodded stupidly, a massive grin on his face. It didn’t matter to him now that she would listen. Both Bara and Elyon stared intently as his fingers strummed at the strings playing her melody from memory. Niko nearly stopped when he saw a small smile appeared on her lips. She shut her eyes, faintly, he heard her hum softly.

Her light brown hair was tied back, defiant strands of baby hairs framed her face messily, and her skin had a light sheen of sweat after hours of work in the infirmary. She was the most beautiful girl on the face of the earth.

It was different. It wasn’t just his music anymore. It was hers. He wanted all his songs to belong to her. Hers. Theirs. . .

Heart swelling, fingers slipping, Niko fumbled his citole fell from his hands clumsily. “oh, sorry.” he said. The new size was something he’d have to get used to, he definitely needed a strap.

“Thank you. .” Elyon stood for a bit before she added, “I should probably get back. . .”

Ask her!” Bara said at Niko’s feet.

“Spend Radiant Week with me, us, I mean,” he blurted quickly before pausing trying to to sound so nervous. He tried again, slower this time, “Will you spend Radiant Week with us, it doesn’t have to be the whole week, not even a whole day. I know you’re busy. Just, just an hour on any day you want. A single hour-“

“Alright.”

Niko grinned. He must’ve looked like a buffoon because Elyon laughed. Sweet, sweet, laughter. “What ever day you want, whatever time, just send a message and I’ll come running.” Niko promised. “I’ll be staying at Ariel’s sister’s house. The Duchess of Lonroth. They said you’re closer to one of his sisters, though I’m not sure which one.” he said a little abashed. There were too many to keep track of, Lady Adelaide, Baroness Aget, and a third sister he wasn’t sure he’d ever seen.

Elyon nodded, her face slightly flushed. “I, uh, need to get back.” she said.

“Oh, right! I’m sorry for taking up so much of your time.” Niko said walking backwards. “Just don’t forget.” Please, please don’t forget.

“I won’t,” Elyon said walking back to the infirmary. Niko kept walking backwards watching her leave. She turned back to steal a glance not expecting Niko to still be facing her. Her face flushed and she laughed. Niko beamed, not once looking away.

Niko look out!

Niko turned to look at Bara instead of the cart barreling down the road straight at him.
♠ ♠ ♠
Little bit of a side story before getting back to main story.

Aurielle, Call_me_Dot, and angiebaby, thank you for commenting. So glad you all have been around this long.

Still, figuring out wattled (sort ignoring it really), but I think I've got it down for now. I'll just keep the same summary. Couldn't think of better one. Turns out I am going to edit chapters, but only slightly.