Status: Work In Progress

Untitled

Next Stop...Freedom

Townson, Maryland. That is where I was going. This was going to be a long ride…

As I looked out of the bus window at the setting sun, I began to feel extremely tired, to the point of fighting my eyelids to stay opened. So I decided to give into defeat and get some rest before I start my new life tomorrow. When I wake up, it will be dark, late and I would be in a different state.

I woke up, not sure how much longer later, to the bus coming to a halt. I popped my head up to look around and see that there were fewer people on the bus. I looked out the window, trying to figure out where we were, to see nothing but blackness. I then wondered what time it was. I pulled myself away from that and back to finding out where I was.

Just then, the bus driver closed the doors after those missing people had gotten on the bus. I guess we made a pit stop… The bus driver informed us that we had two more hours to go. …We were half way.

I decided to check my phone, to my dismay. Twelve missed calls and eighteen text messages, my screen showed. All from him. Of course… I didn’t bother to read or listen to them, I just deleted them and blocked him from my phone. I thankfully thought to look up how to shut off your GPS before I left. He wouldn’t be finding me any time soon. Once I was settled in in Maryland, I will buy a new phone. Until then… I would just shut it off as often as I could.

I put my headphones in and turned my music on I listened as I watched…what I could see, the scenery change. This is what I did until we reached our destination. I tried to not fall asleep, so that I could when I found a place to stay…although, I have no problem sleeping since I’m always so tired and who knows when that would be anyway. Maybe I should get some more sleep.

Before I knew it (not really) we were there, pulling into a bus station. We were here… We were in Maryland. Townson, Maryland. A shockwave of fear and excitement hit me. I was happy to be away from there…from him, but also scared to be in a town that I knew nothing about.

I was here, and that’s all that mattered.

I grabbed my stuff and got off the bus after everyone else. On my way off, I asked the bus driver where the nearest motel was but he didn’t know. The bus stop was smartly located across the street from a gas station that was twenty-four hours, so I thanked the driver and crossed the road to ask for help. I walked across the gas station lot where the pumps were and into the little convenience store building that the gas attendant worked in. The whole place was practically a ghost town, outside and in, except for the attendant whom was sitting behind the counter doing something on his phone. I approached the counter to ask the man where the closest motel or hotel is. You could tell he definitely did not want to be here at all but was helpful and friendly about it. After he told me where one was and how to get there, I then set off to make my way there after thanking him. The place wasn’t too far…this shouldn’t be bad.

It was twelve o’clock in the morning, when we had finally reached our destination which explains why there were not many people out and about. I was a little uneasy but kept going. I hadn’t a care in the world and let it show by the look on my face. Even though I always looked this way, as if I was ready to punch someone… I planned to keep it that way until I reached the motel. No problem.

I was wrong.