Status: Work In Progress

Untitled

My Last Meal

Confusion came back, nerves joining them.
Buffer pushed me forward, guiding us to the hall.
“So… I guess you’re my personal body guard.” I said, looking at him with a smirk.
Annoyance with a hint of wanting to kill me, was the look I got as he just shoved me forward even harder.
“Move.” He said with the matching tone.
I couldn’t help but smile in victory.
The walk back to “my” room was silent, tension filled and for me, full of smirks. We went the same way we came, using the elevator. Once we had gotten back to the room, Buffer threw me in and closed the door. Great.
There was literally nothing to do… I guess I would be doing a lot of sleeping…or at least for tonight which is good since I didn’t know what was in store for me tomorrow. Just as I was pacing back and forth trying to think of something to occupy the time…considering I don’t even know what time it is, the door opened and Buffer tossed in a tray.
“Dinner.”
Then he closed the door.
Well…at least I knew what time it was.
Sorta.
I went over to the tray, picked it up and walked to my mattress to sit on it. I then examined it to see what I was possibly eating. It looked edible. On a big plate, there was what appeared to be meatloaf, most likely mashed potatoes and string beans. There was a plastic bottle of apple juice to the right corner and what I hoped was chocolate pudding on the left. At least they fed us an actual meal. I guess to keep us healthy for whatever it is they use us for.
I nearly chugged the bottle of apple juice, being so thirsty from all of the events that had taken place. I decided to save what I could for the rest of the meal, as well as for later. I decided to start with the meat. Go big or go home, is what I always say…right? I pick up my fork and took some. I smelled it first and then ate it. Not that bad actually…
It wasn’t as good as my grandmother’s but wasn’t horrible, like you’d think. Man, I missed her… So I ate the rest and moved on to the others, sniffing them too of course. Don’t know why, but I have this habit of smelling things. Clothes, food, objects…you name it, I smell it out of the urge to know what it smells like. I have the odd tendency to do so with touching too.
The mashed and string beans weren’t that bad either, could use some salt but I loved putting salt on just about everything. And so, I moved on to the pudding. Performed my ritual sniffing routine and then had a spoonful. Pretty good. Probably right out of the Snack Pack cup.
If it wasn’t for the fact that I was always hungry, no matter what, I would have not eaten the food out of protest…or poison. Oh well! I was hungry and willing to risk poisoning. It was worth it.
I got up and placed the tray next to the door, keeping the rest of the juice next to the mattress.
I had decided to rest a little bit after eating, before going to sleep.
With everything that had gone on and being so dehydrated and starving, I had completely ignored the pounding pain in my head. I totally forgot the possible concussion my head received when I was being kidnapped.
I leaned back against the wall to rest my head on it, in hopes that it was cold. It didn’t really do much so I grabbed the bottle of juice that was still cold, and put it against the back of my head I hit Buff with. Aaah…nice and cold. I held it there awhile and then rotated to other spots since my whole head hurt.
I kept doing that for as long as I could before it wasn’t cold anymore. After that, I took my shoes off, putting them at the end of the “bed” and laid down. I didn’t even bother to turn off the light. I pulled the blanket over me and rested my head on the pillow. As I lay on my side, staring at the door, I quickly fall asleep.
…..
I was standing at the kitchen sink, washing the last of the dishes.
I hear the door unlocking and prepared for the worst. I thought I was in the clear having everything done but there was always something… The door shut and I heard him walking towards the kitchen.
“What did you make for dinner?” he questioned.
“Spaghetti and garlic bread.” I answered.
By the time I had answered, he was coming into the kitchen.
“You’re not done cleaning?... he angrily asked.
“I’m finishing them now.” I replied.
“I’ve been working all day and don’t want to come home to dirty dished in the sink.” Irritation growing in his voice.
“I’ve been cleaning all day and made sure dinner was done on time…I waited to wash all of them at once until I was done cooking, which I did like, ten minutes ago.” I retorted.
“Don’t talk back to me like that.” He said pissed off in defeat, knowing he was wrong.
“I was explaining why I wasn’t done cleaning yet…” I responded.
“Well finish up before dinner gets cold.”
I didn’t respond, I just sighed to myself and hurried to do the dishes.
When I had finished washing and drying the dishes, I sat at the table to eat. He was on his second bowl when I was getting mine.
”No meatballs?” he asked annoyed.
“We’re out of ground beef so not until I go shopping.” I answered while still fixing my plate.
“Then why didn’t you go...”
“I had to make sure you checked the list first and I didn’t have enough money to go.”
“You didn’t have enough money from work…?”
“Considering you only let me work weekends, tips don’t even help much and I had to use money from my last paycheck to pay for other things.” I stated matter-of-factly.
He threw his fork down in his nearly empty bowl, causing a loud clanking noise that made flinch.
“What did I say about giving me attitude!” he shouted.
“You gave me attitude for not buying meatballs because I have barely any money since you refuse to let me work more than just weekends.” I argued back, tone raising as well.
He stood up at this attempt to fight back and circled half the table to come stand whereas sitting.
“I told you to stop talking to me like that; it’s disrespect!” he yelled.
“You’re being disrespectful to me.” I said, pissed off now.
A growling sound came from him as his face turned red with extreme anger and he tightly pulled my arm, forcefully pulling me out of my chair closer to his chest.
I woke up.
My eyes flew opened as I took a deep breath. I sat up and rested my head in my hands as I covered my face with them. If it wasn’t for the fact that this actually happened before…I would have thought it was real and that I was back there instead of here and a dream.
I took my face out of my hands and lifted up the sleeve on my left arm, examining the hand shaped bruise.