Status: Re-write!

It's a Werewolf Thing

Twelve

It was three days until the full moon, which meant three days to come up with a plan against her dad and the obsessed alpha who Kacey knew wasn't about to give up so easily. After the confrontation with her dad, exhaustion had taken hold and Derek had ordered her to bed leaving Kacey with no room to argue.

Checking the clock by Derek's bed, Kacey quickly realized that it was noon and so with a groan she got out of bed, heading downstairs where Derek was working out. Kacey stopped at the bottom of the stairs, sitting down on the last step to enjoy the view and allow Derek to finish what he was doing.

"Morning," Derek said walking towards her.

"It's afternoon," Kacey replied, standing up and pointing at him threateningly, "Don't even think about putting your sweaty self anywhere near me wolf boy, go shower."

"You've been hanging around Stiles for too long, don't make me start threatening you as well."

"You wouldn't," Kacey stated, pretending to be hurt by his threat.

"Try me," Derek teased as he headed upstairs laughing.

Kacey loved seeing this side of Derek, it was so carefree almost and it was reserved only for the people closest to him. Heading into the kitchen, she gathered everything that she needed to make them breakfast and got started on the cooking.

It wasn't long before Derek joined her, watching from the doorway as she placed the food onto two plates and handed one over. Eating in silence, Kacey watched as Derek collected both plates to wash them up and made them drinks.

"What?" Derek asked, noticing that Kacey was staring and frowning.

"Nothing," Kacey replied, smiling as Derek handed her a cup, "Thanks."

The rest of the pack soon arrived, having finished school and headed straight over for the pack meeting that Derek had called the night before. Taking her usual seat beside Isaac, Kacey waited in silence for Derek to start and grimaced a little as she shifted.

"You okay Kace?" Isaac inquired, looking at her a little concerned.

"Yeah, I just ache all over... I think I'm coming down from my magic high."

"Let's get this meeting started, there's a lot to talk about and we still need to patrol. Okay, so we potentially have two threats in town at the moment, Kacey's dad being our priority and the other pack if they haven't left Beacon Hills already."

"They're not going to leave," Kacey mumbled, drawing everyone's attention to her and continuing, "My dad may have paid them to attack my mum, but the alpha's obsession with me is something different and it's intense."

"How do you know?" Erica inquired.

"There was just something in his eyes, I don't know what it was, but it was possessive... primal almost," Kacey explained, shuddering at the mental image that popped into her head, "Plus the fact that he attacked Derek and started stalking me before my dad got back into town."

"She has a point," Boyd added, "Attacking her mum would have done the job that they were paid to do, they didn't need to make contact again and let's not forget that he tried to poison her."

"His intentions are clear, he wants me and if I've read him correctly, then he'll do whatever it takes to get what he wants... this was never entirely about the job that my dad gave them."

"I still think that your dad is our main problem at the moment, his human and I'm really not sure how to handle the situation," Derek stated, "Another pack we can deal with, but we have to be careful when it comes to hunters."

"I don't see why," Erica snapped, "They don't care what they do to us."

"They may not care, but that's just another thing that makes us better than them," Derek replied, "Hunters are humans, whether we like them or not."

"Derek, what do you suggest?" Jackson asked once everyone had fallen silent.

"I'm not sure yet, but we need to come up with something and fast," Derek told them, looking over at Kacey who currently had her eyes closed and her head resting on the back of the couch, "Kace, you still with us?"

"Just about... is it me or is it really hot in here," Kacey said, hearing the exhaustion in her own voice and opening her eyes to show that she was listening.

The pack meeting went on for nearly three hours and everyone had an opinion on how they should deal with her dad, but nothing that Derek would go along with. By the time Jackson decided to go get pizza, Kacey was struggling to stay awake and something deep inside was telling her to give in. Darkness consumed her and the nightmare pushed its way into her mind without consent.

'The forest before her pulsed brightly, seeming to keep a rhythm that matched her heart and pulled Kacey towards it effortlessly. The wind blew strongly through the trees, causing the leaves to rustle and the branches to creak like a soundtrack to her desire.

A howl of pure agony ripped through the air, vibrating through her entire being and Kacey knew who it was instantly... Derek. Before she even had time to think, her legs were already carrying her towards the sound, heart beating quickly trying to escape her chest and fear gripping tightly like an unwanted hitchhiker.

Finding the location the sound was coming from was easy, as though it had been programmed into the GPS of her mind and a huge part of her wished she hadn't bothered following it. The scene before her made her heart stop, blood was soaked into the ground covering a lot of the space in front of her and her pack laid scattered across the clearing.

Scared and crying, Kacey made her way to each lifeless body, knowing they were dead but still checking their pulses with a glimmer of hope... it was pointless... her pack was dead. Hearing a sudden shout of pain, Kacey rushed over to a smaller clearing hidden behind a barrier of trees and found Derek struggling to move.

In seconds Kacey was kneeling beside him, with his head in her lap and watched his face contort with pain. Derek looked up at her, his eyes glazed over and distant, but Kacey could feel his pulse beating beneath her fingers like a drum.

'What can I do?' Kacey said as tears streamed down her cheeks.'


She knew that none of it was real, but no matter how hard she tried to control it she couldn't and right now, all she wanted to do was wake up.

'Derek gasped as his back arched in pain and Kacey grabbed his hand, giving him something to ground himself with.

'N-nothing, just st-stay with m-me," Derek stammered as blood dribbled from the corner of his mouth.

They stayed quiet for what seemed like an eternity, but Kacey didn't miss Derek's breathing becoming shallow or his grip slackening on her hand. With a shaky breath, Kacey kissed his head, watching him take his last breath and seeing the light fade from his eyes.'


Waking with a gasp, Kacey looked around at the sleeping forms of her pack mates and wiped her eyes as tears fell freely down her face. Feeling Derek stir beside her, she watched as his eyes snapped open and immediately fell upon her.

"What happened?" Derek asked, wrapping his arms around her and kissing her head as she sobbed into his shoulder, "You're okay... I've got you."

"Everyone was gone... dead and..." Kacey rambled, "I saw the light go out in your eyes and I couldn't... I couldn't save any of you, Der."

"Shhh, we're all fine, it was just a nightmare," Derek whispered against her hair as the pack moved closer in their sleep, offering her comfort and warmth, "Let me go get you something to drink."

"No," Kacey almost shouted, panic erupting through her, "Just... please just stay with me."

Derek nodded, a little surprised by how much fear one nightmare had instilled in her and wrapped his arms around her protectively as she settled into his side. The pack was alive... Derek was alive and she was where she felt safest, surrounded by the people she loved.
♠ ♠ ♠
Happy reading ♥