Status: Re-write!

It's a Werewolf Thing

Eighteen

School seemed to fly by and before she knew it, Kacey was heading home. The journey was silent, not that she was complaining, she had absolutely nothing to say to the man sitting beside her and the quiet gave her time to think.

“Your mom’s funeral is tomorrow, I want you down here and dressed appropriately by twelve o’clock,” Liam said as they walked through the front door, “If you’re not down here on time, then I will leave without you, is that understood?”

Nodding in understanding, Kacey took her school bag upstairs and got started on some of her homework. Checking her watch a while later, she got changed into her running clothes and headed downstairs.

“I’m going for a run, I need to be in shape if I’m going to be hunting and training soon.”

“That’s good, just keep in mind that if I catch you up at that mongrel's house, I will have him arrested quicker than you can say werewolf,” Liam threatened.

Rolling her eyes as she walked out the front door, Kacey headed into the woods and to the rock where Derek was already waiting. Freezing as she spotted him crouched on top of the large rock, she watched as he stared at the view and stood up as she joined him.

“I thought you were going to change your mind and leave,” Derek said as she stood inside him.

“Why would I do that?”

Silence passed between them as she waited for an answer, but it wasn’t awkward like she thought it would be... especially now that she was the enemy. Looking down at the town below, Kacey realized that a ghost grey mist was beginning to cloak over it and knew that winter was slowly approaching.

“I don’t know, this entire situation is messed up Kace and I’m not sure that we can get out of it.”

“We will get out of this, Der because I refuse to become anything like him and I have to believe that I can get away... it’s my mom’s funeral tomorrow.”

“I wish the pack could be there for you,” Derek said, stepping forward and pulling her into his arms.

“You will be,” Kacey mumbled into his chest, feeling Derek relax a little, “Der, are you okay?”

“Yeah... no, my wolf has been agitated since you left and it’s been hard keeping it under control because I know that you’re in danger being with your dad,” Derek explained, “As long as I can see you as much as I can... it should be fine.”

“I can meet you here every day at six if that helps, I’ll use running as my cover,” Kacey suggested, “I hate not being around the pack, it makes me feel vulnerable and that isn’t something that I like feeling.”

“Me and the pack will always be there when you need us, no matter who is against it,” Derek reassured her, lifting her chin so that she was looking at him, “You’re never alone, even when it may seem like you are...”

Kacey gave him a small smile, before pressing her lips gently to his and relaxing when Derek pulled her closer. He deepened the kiss as if trying to express everything he felt, but the truth was that she already knew because she felt the exact same way.

They stayed at the rock for about an hour, before she decided that she should probably head back and Derek reluctantly agreed. Kissing him on the cheek, Kacey left and ran all the way back to the house where her dad was waiting.

“You look like you pushed yourself hard,” Liam said as Kacey walked into the kitchen and poured herself a glass of juice.

“No point going running if I’m not going to be able to feel it, no pain, no gain, right?” Kacey replied heading towards the stairs.

“I’m glad you’re taking your responsibilities seriously now, we’ll make a great hunter out of you yet.”

Kacey showered and finished her homework, before getting an early night ready for her mom’s funeral. She woke up early the following morning, giving herself plenty of time to get ready and prepare herself to say a final goodbye. Once she was dressed, she headed downstairs to find her dad talking with a group of his hunter friends and cleaning his gun.

“Are you ready to go?” he asked once he spotted her.

“Yeah, what’s going on?”

“Nothing to worry about, let’s leave the hunting business until we’ve got your mom in the ground.”

Anger boiled within Kacey’s stomach, but she managed a stiff nod and then headed out to the truck. The drive to the church was uncomfortable, but she couldn’t worry about that... today was about her mom finally being laid to rest and having the send-off she deserved.

Quite a few people were already there when they arrived, including the sheriff and Stiles. Kacey felt a little tension lift off her shoulders as she walked over to Stiles, who automatically put his arms around her and hugged her tight. Joining everyone gathered around the freshly dug grave, Kacey’s gaze fell upon the closed casket and a strange numbness settled over her entire body.

Stiles placed his hand on her lower back, silently comforting her as they took their positions and the service began. The vicar made an opening speech, before handing the spotlight over to her dad who stepped forward and, at that moment, Kacey’s sole focus was on the lies that seemed to steadily flow from the man’s mouth.

“My wife was a great person, a loyal friend, a fantastic mother and she had the biggest heart. Without her, my life is no longer complete, but I will keep the memories with me and remain strong for my daughter,” Liam said, “Kacey, do you have anything to say?”

“There is so much that I could say about my mom, she was my best friend and she taught me so much about life. I still feel like I’m stuck in a really bad dream, but I know that I’m never going to wake up and find her still here. I...” Kacey mumbled, her words fading as she glanced over at Stiles and broke down in his arms as her world suddenly crashed down around her.

A few more people made speeches, before the casket was lowered into the ground and slowly everyone left. Soon enough it was just Kacey and her dad left standing by the grave, staring at the coffin without a word.

“Let’s go home, we have things to do,” Liam ordered.

“I’m not ready to go home yet,” Kacey replied emotionlessly, “I’m going to take a walk.”

“Fine, you have an hour to get your head straight and stay away from...” Liam began but Kacey cut him off.

“I just buried my mom,” Kacey snapped, feeling her powers pressing against her skin, “I will be back when I’m ready... just leave me alone.”

“Now you listen to me, your mother is dead and her lifeless corpse is about to start rotting in the ground. She is gone and she’s never coming back, so get over it.”

“Shut up,” Kacey whispered as tears rolled down her cheeks.

“What’s wrong, Kacey... can’t take the truth.”

“Shut up.”

“Bugs will slowly eat away at her flesh, until nothing remains except bones and just like in life... she will be nothing,” Liam stated, moving closer to Kacey who felt the final string of restraint snap within her.

“Shut up, shut up, shut up, shut up,” Kacey screamed, clamping her hands over her ears and shutting her eyes tight.

A Surge of energy shot from her like a punch and she heard her dad shout out in surprise, followed by the sound of something breaking with force. When she finally opened her eyes and removed her hands from her ears, Kacey’s dad was no longer stood before her, but was instead lying motionless on the ground nearby.

Panic quickly took hold as her mind processed what had happened and Kacey took off into the woods, leaving her dad behind. She didn’t know if he was alive, but all she could think about was the fact that he now knew about her powers and that she would probably be at the top of his supernatural hit list.
♠ ♠ ♠
Happy Reading! ♥♥♥