Status: Re-write!

It's a Werewolf Thing

Four

The alpha stood in the doorway as everyone stared at him in silence, his arms folded across his chest and a smug look on his face.

"I thought I told you to stay away," Derek growled, flashing his eyes in warning and moving to place himself in front of Kacey protectively.

Scott and Stiles moved closer as well, much to the amusement of the alpha, who laughed and took a few steps towards them.

"That's close enough," Boyd warned, causing the alpha to raise his hands and stop dead in his tracks.

"I know what you told me... I just didn't listen, after all, I was the one who sent her the text that got her here."

"You sent me that text?" Kacey asked.

"Of course I did, and deep down you knew that it was me," the alpha replied.

He was right, Kacey knew from Derek's reaction back in Scott's room that the conversation they were having was over, and that it was something that they wouldn't be discussing again any time soon.

"Why would you do that?" Stiles added with a frown.

"He knew that after the attack, Derek's wolf would still be on edge and that its first response if someone went near him would be to attack," Kacey answered, having put all the pieces together and figured it out, "He hoped that Derek would bite me, so that he didn't have to do"

"He thought that I'd let you come here alone?" Scott inquired.

"Probably thought that if Derek bit me, then it would shatter my trust and make it easier for him to recruit me to his pack."

"You're a lot smarter than they give you credit for," the alpha stated, "It was a perfect plan if I do say so myself and I was almost certain that it would work, but as they say... always have a plan b"

"They also tell you to never underestimate your enemy," Kacey replied, "I guess you missed that class."

"Soon enough you will have no choice but to join me and when you do, I will claim you as my own."

Letting a threatening growl rumble deep in his throat, Derek took a step forward as Kacey reached out and touched his arm to calm him down. Keeping his red eyes fixed on the alpha, Derek stopped and reluctantly stepped back to Kacey's side.

"It'd be a good idea to keep your dog on it's leash... we wouldn't want him to have any accidents."

Feeling Derek tense beside her, Kacey immediately grabbed his hand and tightened her grip to stop him from doing anything stupid. The alpha chuckled as he watched, shaking his head as he turned away from the group and left.

"I really don't like him," Kacey added, looking over at Derek and releasing his hand as his eyes returned to their usual human colour.

"You're not the only one," Derek mumbled

They spent the next two hours discussing what they should do and it was getting late, when Kacey remembered that she had to go over to her house.

"Well, I need to go to my house to pick up some books for school and tidy up a bit for when my parents get home tomorrow night."

"Someone should go with you," Derek suggested, although Kacey knew that it was more of an order and that there would be no getting around it.

"Is this how it's going to be from now on... me having a bodyguard wherever I go?"

"He's already got to you twice and I am not going to risk it happening again," Derek stated seriously, "Until the other pack is dealt with, you will have one of us with you at all time and I don't care if you like it or not."

Rolling her eyes, Kacey headed outside with Scott and Stiles hot on her heels. Climbing into the back seat of Stiles' jeep, Kacey watched as Stiles started the engine and drove them over to her house.

"Wait here," Kacey said as she jumped out onto the sidewalk, "I won't be long."

"I don't think so," Scott told her, "We're coming with you."

"I'm just going to grab some books and put a few things away, I'll be fine on my own."

"We know that you can look after yourself, but Derek will kill us if anything happens to you and I really don't want to die," Stiles rambled as they walked up to the front door.

As soon as she opened the door, Kacey flipped the light switch on the wall and frowned when nothing happened. Great, because that's not creepy at all she thought, closing the door behind them and cautiously moving through the dark towards the kitchen to find a torch. Opening the draw, she grimaced as her hand touched something wet and grabbed the torch.

"Guys, I can smell blood," Scott announced as Kacey turned the torch on and shone it on her hand, swallowing nervously as she saw that it was covered in blood.

"There's blood on my hand."

Heading over to the fuse box, Kacey flipped the main electric switch on and flinched as the lights flickered to life around them. Turning around, Kacey found Scott kneeling beside her mum and gasped as she took in the scene in front of her.

"Mum," Kacey choked, rushing over and falling to her knees on the opposite side to Scott.

"Stiles, call your dad and get an ambulance here," Scott ordered, putting pressure on the worst of Kacey's mum's wounds and focusing on trying to slow the bleeding.

"Her pulse is weak, Scott and her breathing is shallow," Kacey mumbled, keeping her fingers pressed gently against her mum's neck and glancing up with tear filled eyes.

It was five minutes, before Kacey heard the sirens outside and watched as two paramedics rushed in. Ushering her and Scott aside, they got to work on trying to help her mum. Not wanting to see anymore, Kacey allowed Scott to lead her outside and immediately spotted Stiles talking to his dad. She had just stepped out onto the porch, when the sheriff looked over with concern clear in his eyes and Kacey broke.

Pulling her into his arms, Scott held her tight and rubbed soothing circles into her back as Derek's Camaro screeched to a halt behind them.

"What the hell happened?" Derek asked as they joined him by the car.

"Someone or something attacked Kacey's mum," Stiles explained.

"Is she okay?"

"Paramedics are with her now, but it's bad Derek," Scott told him, feeling Kacey tense slightly, "She's lost a lot of blood and she has gashes everywhere."

"Gashes... like those a werewolf's claws would make?" Derek added, anger clear in his tone and with a nod from Scott he continued, "We need to put a stop to this, before someone else gets hurt or killed."

"We can't know for sure that it was the other pack, there's been a number of burglaries in this area lately," Stiles argued.

"Are you really that stupid?" Derek growled as he stared at Stiles in disbelief.

"We can't attack them based on an assumption, because if we're wrong it will start a war and that's not something we need right now," Stiles replied.

"I've got a more important question for you both," Scott stated, breaking up their argument, "If Kacey's mum was attacked at the house... then, where's her dad?"

Tensing again as Scott voiced the question she had been asking herself, Kacey caught movement from the house and looked up to see the paramedics emerge with her mum on a gurney.

"Kacey, did you want to ride with your mum?" The sheriff inquired as he approached her.

"Yes."

"We'll meet you at the hospital Kace," Derek called as she headed over to the ambulance.

Climbing into the back, she took a seat and stared at her mum as they pulled away. The ride to the hospital was quiet and everything around Kacey seemed to fade away, until all she could hear was the repetitive beeps from the machinery.

Before she knew it, they arrived and her mum was rushed down a long corridor with a doctor shouting orders to several nurses. She was about to follow, when Melissa appeared beside her and led her into the waiting room. Melissa was just explaining some forms that Kacey needed to fill out, when Derek, Scott and Stiles turned up.

"Does she have to do that right now?" Scott asked his mum.

"We need to know this information, so that we can treat her mum properly... it's just about allergies and family health issues that's all," Melissa replied softly, knowing that her son was just worried about Kacey and looking out for her.

"Scott, it's okay," Kacey added, giving Scott a grateful smile and returning her attention to the forms on her lap.

She was just handing the forms to Scott to give to his mum, when the doctor walked in and Kacey's stomach turned at the serious look on his face.

"Kacey?" He inquired.

"Yes... is my mum okay?"

"She lost a lot of blood and the wounds that she received are severe, but we've managed to get her stabilized for now. She's got a long way to go and I can't guarantee that she'll pull through, but we are going to do everything we can to keep her alive."

"Can I see her?" Kacey said, swallowing the lump that had formed in her throat and waiting for an answer.

"She's unconscious at the moment, but you can go in for a few minutes."

"Derek, will you come with me please?" Kacey mumbled.

"Of course I will," Derek replied, placing his hands on her shoulders and following the doctor along the corridor in silence.
♠ ♠ ♠
Happy reading ♥