Status: Re-write!

It's a Werewolf Thing

Seven

The long shadows of the evening quickly merged with the black of night, as darkness fell and a strange chill seemed to settle around the Hale house. It was nearly time for Kacey, Scott, and Stiles to head home, when all of the wolves suddenly turned their heads towards the door. Glancing over at Stiles with a frown, Kacey moved to stand with Derek and watched as he listened to something that the humans couldn't hear.

Looking over at her, Derek wrapped an arm around Kacey's shoulders and pulled her closer to him. Hearing the wood of the porch groan as if under a heavy weight, Kacey fixed her eyes on the front door and flinched as it was smashed open. Derek growled as the alpha walked in, followed by his pack and stood before them. Spotting Scott move to stand with Stiles, Kacey glanced over at him and could tell that he expected trouble.

"You're trespassing on another alpha's land," Derek growled, "That makes you either extremely brave or plain stupid."

"Possibly a bit of both, but what can I say... the girl smells too good to stay away for too long," the alpha replied, sniffing the air as he continued, "Her scent is like a drug to me, addictive and intoxicating."

"Leave," Derek snarled as his eyes flashed in warning.

"Can you sense the power she has?" The alpha asked, "It's electrifying, isn't it? Any alpha would be seen as a fool for passing up the opportunity to change her. Of course, your pack is the first I've come across with humans within their ranks and that shows me weakness."

"If you see humanity as weakness, then you are the fool," Scott stated, "I don't know about the others, but the human pack members make me feel strong and keep me stable during the full moon."

"What have you been teaching your pups?" The alpha added with a chuckle, looking directly at Derek and shaking his head in amusement when all he received was a growl in response, "Anyway, I only dropped by to see my precious flower and let her know that come the full moon she will be mine."

"We'll be ready," Boyd replied as the alpha followed his pack out of the house.

Feeling a shiver run up her spine as a howl cut through the silence, Kacey's mind began to race and the thoughts scared her. If the other pack was going to take her, then why would they share that information and what was the Alpha's plan once he had her?

"Kacey?" Scott called, snapping his fingers in front of her face.

"What?" Kacey mumbled, realizing that she had spaced out and missed what Scott had said.

"I was saying that we'd better get out of here, before my mum gets home from her shift and finds that we're not there," Scott repeated.

"Yeah."

Scott and Stiles soon headed out the door, but just as Kacey went to follow, Derek grabbed her arm.

"Come over tomorrow, there's something that I need to talk to you about."

"Der, I'm over here every day."

"I mean before the others arrive."

"Okay, I'll come here straight from picking up my stuff to take to Scott's."

"See you then," he said with a small smile.

Kacey hesitated, before kissing him on the cheek and hugging Isaac. Getting in her car with Scott, she drove them back to the McCall house and was relieved to find that Melissa wasn't home. Getting changed into some comfortable clothes, Kacey sat on the bed and stared out at the star filled sky.

"You okay, Kace?" Scott inquired, turning from where he was talking to Stiles on the computer and watching her with concern.

"There's a crazy, obsessed alpha that plans on kidnapping me, I just found out that my dad is some kind of legendary hunter and my mum is currently lying in a hospital bed in a coma... I'm just peachy," Kacey replied, lying down and closing her eyes.

Scott didn't say anything to her after that and if she was honest; the silence was welcomed. The sun soon rose on a brand-new day and having not slept, Kacey headed over to her house early to collect her things.

The house seemed deserted as Kacey packed everything she'd need, happy that she wasn't having to deal with her dad and wanting to get out of there as quick as possible. Grabbing her bags off her bed, Kacey made her way downstairs and ignored her dad who was waiting at the bottom. Walking straight past him without acknowledging his presence, she reached for the door handle and stopped as he spoke.

"Those boys you hang around with are dangerous."

"Dangerous?"

"Yes, Kacey... dangerous," her dad stated, "There are a lot of dangerous things in this town."

"Like what?"

"Just things... you wouldn't understand."

"You'd be surprised," Kacey snapped, "I know a lot more than you give me credit for and you would know that if you were ever around, but you’re not."

She knew that snapping at her dad wasn't the smartest idea, but the last thing she expected him to do was to rush forward and slap her across the face. Kacey stared at him, her eyes wide in shock and that's when she realized that her dad was gone.

"I can tell you something right now," Kacey told her dad as she opened the door to leave, "There are many dangers in this town, but my friends are not one them..."

Sitting in her car, she touched a shaky hand to her stinging cheek and checked it out in her rearview mirror. Starting the engine, she drove to the Hale house and hesitated before walking up to the house. As soon as she stepped inside, Derek was in front of her and anger flashed in his eyes as he spotted the red mark on her cheek.

"What happened?" He asked, trying to stay calm and failing miserably.

"I'm fine, don't worry about it... it was my fault anyway," Kacey replied, not wanting to make a big deal out of it.

"What exactly was your fault?" Derek pushed, running his thumb gently over her cheek and taking away the slight sting that still lingered.

"My dad told me that the pack was dangerous and I pushed my luck with him... I didn't think he'd get physical though."

"Well, he's right about one thing at least... the pack is dangerous."

"I already know that," Kacey said angrily, "Werewolves are vicious, unpredictable and strong, but here I am... don't start with the whole 'we're too dangerous for you to be around' bull."

"That's not what this is about, I know that you understand the potential risk of being a human in a pack... there's just something that I think you should know."

"Go on then."

"This really isn't the right time to do this, but I need to tell you before the full moon and I have no idea how you're going to react."

"What's going on?" Kacey inquired nervously.

"Yesterday, you ask me about werewolf's mates and... I don't want you to freak out."

"Der, just tell me."

"You're my mate," Derek blurted out, running his hand over his face and pacing in front of her, "There is no easy way to tell someone that, I didn't work it out myself until the new pack arrived and my wolf suddenly became extremely protective of you."

"So, is it only your wolf that feels that way towards me?"

"No, I liked you way before my wolf recognized you as its mate and it's entirely up to you whether you decide to establish the bond or reject it."

Kacey knew how hard it was for him to have conversations about feelings, but she was glad he did because it offered her some answers and so she decided to come clean about a few things.

"Recently, I've found that the only time I really feel safe is when you're nearby and I've had a few dreams about you as well. After finding out that I'm your anchor, I figured that it was something linked with that... but, could it be the bond instead?"

"All of this is new to me as well, but the bond we share as mates is strong and I guess it's trying to establish itself."

"How does the whole accepting the bond thing work?" Kacey asked, watching as Derek stopped pacing and looked at her in surprise.

"Are you seriously thinking about accepting it?"

"Yes, I really like you, Der and when we kissed I got dizzy like some stupid love-sick teenager," Kacey admitted with a smile, "I want to help the pack in any way I can, but the truth is you and me... it just feels right."

"Certainly feels it," Derek said, returning her smile, "I went to see Deaton to get some information about everything and establishing the bond requires me to bite you, but it won't change you."

"Will it hurt?"

"Probably for a while, it has to happen on a full moon as that's when I'm the strongest I can be..."

"That's when the alpha is coming for me," Kacey mumbled.

"Hey, we'll figure it out," Derek promised, lifting her chin so that she was looking him in the eye, "I'll die before I let anybody hurt you."

Pushing herself up onto her toes, Kacey pressed a kiss against his lips and wrapped her arms around his neck as his snaked around her waist. He didn't pull away as fast this time, deepening the kiss and Kacey felt the fragments of her broken world begin to reconnect.

Every worry that had been on her mind melted away and for the first time in ages, she let go of the fears that held her back. Breaking the kiss, Derek smiled and pulled her into him. The sound of cars pulling up soon reached her ears and she knew that the others had started arriving, but she didn't care because the only thing on her mind was the kiss.

She was thinking about how perfect it had felt, the way their lips had connected like Lego blocks and moved perfectly together. Derek didn't move from her side as Scott and Isaac walked in, followed by a tired looking Stiles.

"Hey there Sti, get much sleep last night?" Kacey said as he dropped down onto the sofa.

"Not much, I was researching and you can talk... you look like hell."

"Thanks, I haven't been sleeping all that well since my mum was attacked and occasionally I don't sleep at all."

"Why don't you try and get some sleep now?" Scott suggested to them both, "You're no good to us dead on your feet."

As if on cue, exhaustion washed over her and Kacey yawned. Making her way over to where Stiles was sitting, Kacey curled into his side and allowed darkness to consume her.
♠ ♠ ♠
Happy Reading ♥