Status: Re-write!

It's a Werewolf Thing

Eight

When Kacey woke up she was no longer downstairs with the pack, instead, she found herself wrapped in a blanket and lying in Derek's bed. A sudden panic flared within her and it took a few deep breaths to push it away, leaving only a slight nervousness in the pit of her stomach.

Sitting up slowly, she swung her legs over the side of the bed and shut her eyes tight as a wave of nausea washed over her. Her heartbeat quickened as the nauseous feeling in her stomach grew stronger and her breathing became shallow, until Derek placed his hand on her arm.

The contact seemed to ease the nausea a little, but her heart rate was still erratic and she was still finding it extremely difficult to breathe. Pulling her into his arms, Derek took deep breaths as Kacey closed her eyes and focused on mirroring the movements of his chest.

"Are you okay?" Derek asked as Kacey's breathing returned to normal and her heartbeat slowed.

"Yeah, I don't know what happened," Kacey whispered.

"This hasn't happened before?"

"No, I don't suffer from panic attacks or anything like that... I just assumed that the nausea and dizziness were from lack of sleep."

"The breathing difficulty is new then?"

"Aha, it felt like someone was crushing my throat or my lungs."

"Come on, we need to go and talk to Deaton," Derek added, standing up and helping her carefully to her feet.

They headed downstairs where the pack was eating and pretending as if they weren't eavesdropping, but Kacey knew that they had heard everything.

"Derek?" Isaac said, breaking the silence that had fallen over them.

"We need to go see Deaton, right now... Scott, can you phone him and get him to meet us at the clinic."

"What's going on?" Scott asked, pulling his phone out and pressing some buttons.

"I'm not sure, that's why I want to get Kacey to him as soon as possible... where's the note?" Derek inquired, looking down at Kacey who was leaning heavily into his side and shaking slightly.

"It's in my school bag on the back seat of my car," Kacey mumbled, unsure of why Derek wanted it.

"I'll get it," Stiles offered, but Kacey finally caught on to what Derek was thinking and panicked.

"No," she shouted as Stiles reached the door, freezing with his hand on the handle and looking back at Kacey confused, "It should be one of the wolves, since Derek is fine and we both touched it."

"She has a point, Boyd could you grab the note and Isaac, can you help Kacey to the Camaro."

Isaac was instantly at her side, leading her out to Derek's car and carefully helping her into the passenger seat. Derek soon joined her and drove them over to the veterinary clinic, where he hoped Deaton was already waiting.

The Camaro's tires screeched as Derek slammed his foot down on the breaks, getting out and heading around to Kacey's side to help her out. Heading inside without knocking, they found Deaton patiently waiting for their arrival and Kacey immediately dropped onto the chair that the vet offered her.

"Did you bring the note the Scott mentioned?" Deaton asked as he pulled on a pair of latex gloves.

Derek handed over the note and Deaton carefully opened it, examining the paper closely. He put the note down after a few moments of silence, grabbing a book from the shelf behind him and flicking through it until he reached the page he wanted.

"Doc..." Kacey started, falling silent as the vet raised his hand and turned to Derek.

"Did you touch the note as well?" Deaton stated, earning a nod from Derek and continuing, "Have you had any of the same symptoms that Kacey's had?"

"No, I've been completely fine."

"Kacey, have you been experiencing headaches since you opened the note?"

"Yeah, they seem to come and go, but when they do hit it feels like somethings hitting a small hammer against my skull," Kacey replied.

"Do you know what's going on?" Derek added impatiently.

"The note was laced with a rare poison call Imperium, it's used to take control of somebody," Deaton told them, "Whoever used the poison obviously didn't realize that it wouldn't work on you and would do no more than make you weak, because of the amount power you possess."

"The other alpha keeps mentioning this supposed power, but I've got to be honest doc... I'm not feeling all that powerful right now," Kacey snapped, putting her head in her hands and taking a deep breath as a sharp pain ripped through her.

"You won't feel the power yet, because it hasn't been triggered and it can only be triggered by the bite of a werewolf with a specific connection to you," Deaton explained, looking at Derek, "Let's say for example a born werewolf with alpha ranking."

"Me," Derek mumbled, "The bond we have is the strongest connection a human can have with a werewolf."

"Then we have an advantage," Kacey said, looking between Derek and Deaton, "Clearly psycho alpha didn't know that the poison wouldn't work, which means that he probably doesn't know that Derek is the only person who can call my powers forward, right?"

"I would say that that is safe to assume, yes," Deaton agreed.

"Doc, are my powers linked to the moon?"

"Not directly, but they will most definitely be stronger during a full moon just like the wolves."

"Everything has a connection with the full moon, my connection with Derek, my powers and it's when the wolves are at their most dangerous... so, why would the alpha choose then?"

Before anyone could answer, Kacey doubled over and shouted out as pain once again ripped through her entire body. Crouching down in front of her, Derek took her shaking hand in his as the pain intensified and gradually faded to a dull ache.

It was at that moment that Derek's phone rang and he answered it, keeping hold of one of Kacey's hands as he listened. Whatever he heard made him tense, snatching his hand away as though it had been burnt and standing up. Watching as Derek hung up after a short conversation, Kacey saw his eyes flash red and grabbed his arm to ground him before he could shift.

"What's going on?" Kacey inquired, her voice coming out quiet and shaky.

"The pack got attacked and they think it's just the beginning of something bigger, since they can still sense the other pack nearby."

"You need to go, they need you."

"Stay here with Deaton and do not go anywhere on your own, I'll be back as soon as I can."

"Derek, I'll be fine... go be an alpha and protect your pack."

Kissing her head, Derek left and Kacey took the opportunity to talk to Deaton about a possible plan.

"Deaton, can I run something by you?"

"Of course, what's on your mind?" Deaton replied, stopping what he was doing and looking at her questioningly.

"Is Derek's bite the only way to trigger my powers?"

"Permanently... yes, there is, however, a way to pull them forward temporarily."

"How?" Kacey asked.

"You can do it by injecting yourself with Derek's blood," Deaton explained, "It'll wear off after a few days."

"Do you have any of Derek's blood here?"

"As a matter of fact, I do. What's your plan?"

"I'm going to make a pre-emptive strike, just like they have except mines going to send a clear message. Can my powers only be fully triggered on a full moon?"

"Yes, if you get bitten before nothing will happen."

"That's good to know, will you help me?"

"I'll help," Deaton stated with a nod, "Once I inject you with the blood you'll know what to do, but you have to be careful... you will only be at half your strength and using your powers will drain your energy."

"I promise I'll be careful, I just want to scare them that's all... I have to do this."

Legs still a little shaky from the poison, Kacey followed Deaton into a small room and watched as he removed a vial of blood with Derek's name on from a box. Preparing the needle, he looked over at Kacey as she rolled up her sleeve and waited for her to nod before approaching her.

Closing her eyes as he injected the blood directly into her vein, Kacey felt as it slowly circulated through her body and could finally feel the power that everyone kept telling her that she possessed. A weird tingling sensation followed its flow and a strange blue glow radiated from beneath her skin, pulsating as the powers seemed to grow in strength. Deaton watched as Kacey's eyes glowed, before returning to normal and he knew then that she was ready.
♠ ♠ ♠
Happy Reading ♥