Love Me, Hate Me Either Way We'll Go Crazy

I Woke Up Like This

For the next week and the one after I received a bouquet or fancy chocolates delivered to my office every day. I was starting to think the receptionist was beginning to get irritated with me. The apartment was full of elaborate bouquets and rich chocolates. We both had stomach aches a few days in and had to take a break. “Why thank you, Mr. Jonas. I will have another.” Hera joked as she plopped a chocolate into her mouth. “You ready to go, girl?” I nodded and stood slinging my small purse around my shoulder. “Matt is meeting us there.” We hopped in a cab and found our way downtown at the usual spot, a dueling piano bar called the Big Bang. We found Matt sitting alone at the table with a beer in his hand and two cocktails as well as the usual 6 shots waiting for us. He started coming with us every Friday once he started pursuing Hera. He just sat at the table drinking beers and watching us dance. Once and a great while one of his friends comes along and sits with him, but they find it boring so it isn't very often. They tried setting me up with a few of them, but they were all quote on quote fuck boys and that isn’t my type. Hera handed me a shot and we clanked them together before downing the drink. We went for the quick buzz before stoking the fire with the cocktails as needed.
“Dance!” Hera yelled at me over the music taking my hand and taking me out to the floor.

“Eventually he will just wear you down.” Matt spoke from over his cup of coffee with groggy eyes. “He is using the same game plan as I did with this one.” He thrusted his thumb toward Hera who was sitting in the chair next to him mid bite into an apple.
“He’s right. It always works, but if you want to hold off a few more weeks I am perfectly happy with the chocolate and all these flowers everywhere.” Hera spoke as she chewed covering her mouth with her hand.
“He is out playing me! This needs to stop.” Matt laughed loudly causing me to put my head in my hands and shush him. “You do not hold your booze graciously, Alexis. You are going to laugh when I tell you what you were doing last night.” Matt chuckled at the thought of the previous night’s events.
“Oh hell. What terrible thing have I done now?” I asked confused at Hera and Matt’s laughter.
“You better check your phone.” Matt grinned pulling back his laughter momentarily. I pulled out my phone to find the last message was sent to Nick, but before I could open in there was a knock at the door. I quickly touched my nose and Hera too causing Matt to sigh and stand. “I don’t even live here.” He muttered before opening the door.
“Delivery for an Alexis Carter?” A voice spoke from the doorway. My head whipped around to see a giant bouquet at the door.
“He must know your home address now, Lex.” Matt’s voice followed.
“Sorry man, her hands only. I’m going to need her to sign as well.” I sighed setting down my steaming mug of coffee before walking across the living room to meet the delivery man.
“I’m Alexis. Do you need an ID to verify that?” My voice filled with sarcasm on the last line. Half of me was flattered and the other half annoyed at his antics.
“No, I know who you are.” His voice changed as he spoke handing me the flowers which I immediately almost dropped. He smiled at me and held out his arms. After the initial shock wore off I was able to speak.
“What the heck are you doing here?” I questioned as his hands fell to his sides and a confused look came to his face.
“You told me to come last night.” He spoke as Hera walked up behind me to see for herself. She held out her hand.
“Hera Blakely, nice to meet you. I’ve heard things. I’m her roommate.” She grinned tossing back her dark hair. “Oh, and this is Matt. He is my more attractive counterpart.” Matt laughed at that statement sarcastically before shaking his hand. “Are you going to invite him inside or are we going to hang out in the hall all day?” I waved him in still somewhat in shock not remembering what I said or did to get him to come to Ohio of all places. As we sat back at the table with our coffees shook my head at myself.
“I am too hung over for this.” I mumbled before looking up and speaking louder to everyone else. “What did I do last night?” Nick handed me his phone. The first thing was a video I apparently sent to him of Hera and I dancing with his song ‘Under You’ playing in the background with the message wish you were here. Next was a photo with my commemorative cocktail glass from the night reading ‘BANG THIS!’ followed by a string of text messages about how I missed him and wish he could come see me. I rubbed my eyes. “I need to stop drinking.” I muttered handing back his phone and placing my head on the glass table.
“Soo…. Welcome to our home!” Hera spoke cheerfully. “This is our kitchen slash dining area. You were just in the living room. My room is to the right with the H on the door and Lex’s is to the left. Her door is the one with the A.” She pointed to each.
“Lex, can we talk?” He asked before adding, “privately.” I stood and picked up my coffee cup motioning him to follow me. Once the door was shut behind us I curled myself into a crossed-leg position on my bed as he took in his surroundings. “Nice room.”
“Thanks.” I half smiled as he took a seat in the chair in the corner holding the throw pillow in his hands.
“What’s going on?” He asked with a pause, “I mean between us. What is this to you?”
“I don’t know, Nick. I don’t know what it is yet. A month ago you didn’t like me at all. So I don’t really know what to do with all of this.” I motioned to the air around me. I pushed my hair away from my face.
“What do you feel?”
“The same as always. I love you. I just don’t know if I am ready to act on it just yet. It’s a bit fast.” He stood up again and paced the length of my room. “I want it to go back to how it was, but-“
“You don’t know if I’ll screw it up?” He ran his fingers through his hair letting his hand come to rest on his neck.
“No that’s not it, Nick.” I jointed him standing shoving my hands into the pockets of my pajama pants. “I’m afraid of how I feel about this whole situation. I need time to process.” He stopped and turned to face me confidently before striding closer.
“I love you too. I’ll be here waiting when you are ready.” He leaned down and kissed me once very lightly on the lips.
♠ ♠ ♠
<3 Kelsey