Goodbye

1/1

The tears ran down my face forming salty rivers on my cheeks before dripping onto the yellow rose in my hand. The yellow rose signifies true love, and here I was, waiting to place the beautiful flower on his grave : my true love's grave. I still remember the day we met, as if it occurred mere hours ago, in reality it was years ago.

(FLASHBACK, 3rd PERSON)

A small red-headed girl was standing beside a young man, his hair pulled into some kind of spikey pony tail. The pair were standing in front of a class, all the same age as the young girl. The aforementioned man was named Iruka, and he was the sensei of the class.

Iruka cleared his throat before speaking.

“Hello class! Today we have a new student. Her name is Uzumaki Emiko and she is Naruto's cousin.” Before he could continue speaking, the young red head cut him off:

“if I might interrupt for a moment sensei?I am not Naruto's cousin. My Mother's Uncle's son's best friend's sister was his mother, therefore meaning we are technically not related. We share the same surname but very little of the same blood.”

Some of the children began to giggle: that little girl had just shown up their teacher in front of them. Clearing his throat again, Iruka continued his speech.

“Right. Well, anyway, moving on. Emiko, could you please go and sit next to Kiba?” Iruka questioned, before pointing at a boy wearing a thick, fur-hooded coat with red face paint on his cheeks. On closer inspection, Emiko could tell that the boy had a puppy sitting on his head.

Nodding, to acknowledge her sensei, Emiko stepped forward and plonked down into her seat next to Kiba. The previously mentioned boy stuck his hand out towards her.

“My name's Kiba, and this is Akamaru. Nice to meet you”

Emiko smiled and took the boy's hand.

“Nice to meet you too! My name's Emiko!”

The pair smiled at each other one last time before returning their attention to Iruka-sensei's lesson.

(END FLASHBACK)

A small smile flickered onto my face after remembering that day. After that exchange of words, Kiba and I had become inseperable. We became best friends within two days. Glancing up, I could see that there were still a good number of people before me to pay their respects to my fallen sweetheart. Standing a few places in front of me, I could see a young civilian couple. Seeing their obvious love for each other reminded me of when Kiba had confessed his feelings for me.

(FLASHBACK)

A thirteen year old Uzumaki Emiko stood before a certain Inuzuka in one of the training grounds located just outside of Konoha. The reason for this meeting was simple: Kiba wanted to talk to the young red-head about something. The aforementioned boy's cheeks were flushed red with nervousness and he was twiddling his thumbs : another sign of his nerves. She wouldn't say it out loud but Emiko found Kiba's behaviour slightly humorous and – dare she admit it – rather cute. Pushing away her thoughts, she focused her attention back on the boy in front of her.

“Come on Kiba! I haven't got all day you know.” She stated matter-of-factly, a hint of sarcasm laced into her tone.

“Uhm, w-well, e-erm...”

“Spit it out, boy!”

“I think I like you” he stated, very quickly and in a whisper.

“I'm sorry, what?”

“I think I like you” Kiba responded. Just as quickly but slightly louder.

“Sorry, but I still can't hear you.”

“I. Think. I. Like. You.” The boy stated, for the third time. His cheeks were now completely aflame with embarrassment.

“You think?” Emiko quipped her eyebrow at him in a joking manner.

“No. I mean yes. I mean no. I know I like you.” Kiba stammered out in response. The young Uzumaki smiled.

“That's better.”She giggled,before pulling him in for a chaste kiss.

(END FLASHBACK)

A single tear dribbled down my already wet cheek, dripping onto my black shirt. Looking up, I saw that there were only five more people before me in the queue to place flowers on my lover's headstone. Suddenly, the rain began to pour, drip-dripping onto the now-saturated ground. The splat of the rain reminded me of the sound that Kiba's blood made as it dripped onto my skin as he lay dying in my arms.

(FLASHBACK, EMIKO'S POV)

We were on a mission. Our team consisted of four people, instead of our usual three man cell. The four people were; Kiba, Hyuuga Hinata, her cousin Hyuuga Neji, and myself. Our team had been selected especially for information gathering, each of us having a different sensory skill. Kiba was there for his sense of smell, Hinata and Neji for their Byakugan, and me for my chakra sensing skills.

The mission started without a hitch and we managed to track our target's whereabouts until we came across his hiding place. What we didn't count on was the size and skill of his guard: he had hired ninja from Amegakure. Despite this, we managed to gather most of the information the Hokage required, until I stood on the tripwire for a trap.

In the blink of an eye, Kiba had pushed me out of the way of the Kunai knives that flew from the trees, triggered by the tripwire. In the process, he was hit by every single one of them. I took him into my arms as he slowly bled to death, Hinata and Neji both looking on in horror : there was nothing we could do to save him, no back up we requested would arrive in time and we had no healer with us.

“I l-love you Emiko. Always remember that” Kiba choked out, before he went limp: all life gone from his body.

( END FLASHBACK)

I wept openly now, as I took a step forward to place the yellow rose upon Kiba's grave. I place it gently amongst the other freshly-cut flowers before kneeling down.

“I love you too Kiba. I never got the chance to say it before, but I really do. Goodbye, Kiba.”

I stood back up, my knees wobbling from the sobs that were now causing my body to undulate. Staggering along, I walked up onto Konoha Bridge before throwing myself off the side.

“I'm coming home to you, Kiba. Goodbye world.”