Clash of Steel

Chapter Twenty-Six

There was a symphony of gasps and yells, from both the Morian and Icradian army. While the Morians knew what was coming, they had yet to see Giselle's dragon form with their own eyes, only having heard of it. Lucas couldn't help but grin, feeling like Giselle was slightly larger and significantly more powerful than she had been before. This time around, she knew what she was doing, and the confidence showed. King Gideon beamed as King Jarrett and his forces stumbled away to avoid the flames Giselle blew in their direction. Their own "weapon" had turned against them.

"We don't wish to fight you, Jarrett," King Gideon announced, voice booming across the battlefield. "If you do choose to fight, however, you will not defeat us."

"Considering your initial plan, you must be well aware of what the princess is capable of," Lucas added.

King Jarrett reluctantly lowered his weapon, glaring at them. The knights and soldiers around him clearly didn't want to fight, either.

"Kill me and be done with it, then," King Jarrett said. "Have your victory."

"We have other plans," Gideon said. "We wish to meet with you. In peace. If it brings you comfort, you may choose a guard to accompany you. I will have Sir Lucas by my side. No more than that."

"And the dragon?"

"She'll behave if you do."

"How can I trust you?"

"My people have suffered from this war just as much as yours have. I would never do anything to fuel the fire and put them in danger for even longer."

King Jarrett remained hard, but gave in.

"Tonight, then. One guard. No dragons."

With that, the Icradians retreated. None of the Morians cheered. It wasn't over yet. They only had a little over an hour to prepare for King Jarrett's return. As promised, the rest of the soldiers were told to stand down, besides Gideon and Lucas. Giselle had shifted back, and though Lucas could tell she was tired from the shifting, she still insisted on being a part of the meeting and stood just as strong and confident as she could.

When Jarrett entered the tent, he stiffened at the sight of Giselle. He was followed by his guard, who eyed Lucas cautiously and kept a hand on the hilt of his sword. Lucas chose to be less hostile, holding his hands at his sides.

“You said it would just be you and your knight,” Jarrett reminded Gideon.

“As a future queen of Moria, it is in everyone’s best interest if Giselle is not kept away from such negotiations,” Gideon told him.

“Negotiations,” Jarrett smirked. “So, you would like to negotiate, now?”

“After seventy-five years, I think it’s about time,” Gideon noted.

“Being unable to come to a peaceful decision is the reason the war has lasted so long,” Jarrett said.

“Does anyone remember why this war started in the first place?” Giselle piped up.

King Jarrett seemed mildly annoyed by Giselle, hardly even looking at her or acknowledging her presence. Lucas wasn’t sure if it was because she was so young, or if he was still bitter about the dragon ordeal. Maybe he was still afraid that Giselle would go back on her word and actually shift again to bite his head off.

She stood up a little straighter, stepping forward so he wouldn’t be able to ignore her. Jarrett’s guard made a gesture to draw his sword and Lucas moved his hand to his own, but Jarrett held up a hand to signal that it was alright. Lucas relaxed when the guard did, turning his attention back to Giselle. It was hard to keep a straight face. He was proud of her.

“This war began with my grandfather,” she continued. “Caves full of diamonds were found on the Icradian and Morian border, and the fight began over who it belonged to. Today, almost all the diamonds have been mined illegally, by both Morian and Icradian miners. There is nothing left to fight over. It's all become a matter of pride, now. Everyone wants to win the war, but the truth of the matter is that we’re all losing this battle.”

Jarrett was facing her now, with a pensive look on his face.

“Alright, little princess,” he said. “I see you've been paying attention in your private tutoring. Now comes the real test of whether or not you'll be able to think like a queen would. What do we do about it? How do you expect me to repair the damage your Morian brutes have caused to my kingdom and people?”

Giselle paused for a moment, glancing at her father. Gideon gave her an encouraging nod and she turned back to King Jarrett.

“Trade,” she said simply.

“Trade?”

“Yes, trade,” she nodded. “Icradia sits on better soil than Moria. The agriculture can't be competed with. In Moria, we have people who are starving because plants are difficult to grow and the war has hurt our relationships for trade. And from what I know of Icradia, you're lacking in your luxury imports that are high in demand among your people. Not to mention advanced technology that Moria has had for years. In exchange for food, we will trade you the goods Icradia needs. Desperately needs, may I remind you. Together, the kingdoms can be rebuilt to their former glory.”

King Gideon was beaming about as bright as the sun. King Jarrett was still silent, but he seemed a lot less hostile now. He looked from Giselle to Gideon, then back to her. Then he straightened up and held out his hand to Giselle.

“You shall have your peace, little princess,” Jarrett said. “My troops will retreat from your land, once yours retreat from mine. We will meet again to write up a treaty and make it final.”

Giselle took his hand, giving it a firm shake. Lucas stepped aside to allow Jarrett and his guard out, though Jarrett lingered at the exit of the tent. He looked over his shoulder at Giselle and gave her a small smile.

“I look forward to your reign,” he said.

Giselle smiled back at him. They followed him out, watching as he and his guarded left the camp. Giselle suddenly ran after him, getting his attention.

“King Jarrett? I apologize, but I have something more to ask of you.”

.::.::.::.

As promised, Lucas helped lead the Morian troops away from the fight. He knew the soldiers would be glad to return home. Lucas was glad to return himself, though he was worried for Giselle. He didn't make out what she'd said to King Jarrett, but she went back to the Icradian camp with him. King Gideon had told Lucas that he should remain calm, and the situation was nothing to worry about.

Lucas was preparing his horse for travel when Giselle returned, surprising him with a quick kiss on the cheek while no one was looking. He smiled at her, pulling her in so they were slightly hidden by the horse.

“You were wonderful in the negotiations,” Lucas told her. “You're going to make a great queen.”

“Because I'm a dragon?” she asked.

“Because you have a strong heart and a steady mind,” he said.

“I'm happy to finally go home,” she said. “You're coming too, aren't you?”

“My mother would come after me herself if I didn't,” Lucas chuckled. “Where did you go with King Jarrett?”

She perked up slightly, hanging Lucas a small parcel wrapped in fabric.

“I keep all my promises,” she told him.

He unwrapped the parcel and found his father’s dagger, which had been stolen after Giselle’s capture.

“I asked King Jarrett to help me find the soldier who stole it,” she told him. “He seemed a little afraid of me. I wonder why.”

She gave him a smug grin, and Lucas just shook his head with a smile.

“You are a force to be reckoned with, your highness,” he smirked, putting the dagger back in her hand. “I want you to keep it.”

“Keep it?” she frowned. “But this means so much to you.”

“I know. That's why I want you to have it,” he said.

“But you said to give it back when the danger is over,” she reminded him.

“I know what I said,” Lucas told her. “I know the danger is over. And I'm happy for that. But this time, I have other reasons.”

“Other reasons?”

“This time, I'm giving it to you because I love you.”

Giselle was stunned into silence, staring at him with wide eyes. She seemed like she wanted to speak but couldn't, and just kept her hands clenched tightly around the dagger. Lucas took a step away from Giselle when he noticed Gideon approaching them, grinning from ear to ear.

“We’re ready to go, your majesty,” Lucas told him with a slight bow. “I'm sure you're eager to get home, too.”

“More than eager,” Gideon said. “I couldn't be prouder of both of you, you know. Lucas, you've proven to be like your father in more than just the fight. Come see me when we return to the citadel. I'd like to speak with you about where you should be, regarding your position in the military.”

“I'm honored, your highness.”

“Come now, my dear,” Gideon said, taking Giselle’s arm. “We have much to discuss on this journey.”

Giselle just gave a slight nod, though she was still in a daze. She looked back at Lucas as she followed her father, and he gave her a reassuring nod. They'd have time to talk when they were home.