Status: Complete.

Scribbles of a Broken Heart

A Broken Record

I awoke to my cell phone ringing Secondhand Serenade’s Fall for You; Garrett’s ringtone. I picked up my Samsung flip from the bedside and checked the time as I opened the phone to answer his call.

“Garrett, it’s midnight.”

“It’s day eighteen!”

“Huh?”

“I made it! It’s the eighteenth day of our relationship! I broke my record!”

“Congratulations,” I said dryly, though had it been a later hour I would have been as enthusiastic as he was. “You couldn’t have celebrated in the morning?”

“Don’t be like that.”

“Alright, fine,” I gave in and propped my body weight on to one of my elbows to better stay awake. “I’m proud of you.”

“Thanks, baby. I’m proud of me too.”

Baby?”

“…Is it not alright for me to call you that?”

“No, but I’ll tell you the pet names that I don’t like later.”

He laughed, “Alright…I wish I was with you right now.”

“Me too. Well, actually…you could be. If you’re willing to fish a ladder out of your garage and bring it over to my window sill to climb the twenty feet to my room.”

“Umm…maybe tomorrow—when I feel a little more daring.”

“Haha, okay.”

“Do you think your parents would let you go out tomorrow?”

“No,” I replied without even really thinking.

“But I wanna celebrate and take you out,” he complained.

I’m sorry. How ‘bout doing something at your house?”

“Like what?”

“Uh, I don’t know. Be creative.”

“Okay…I have to think of something, but I know you won’t be disappointed.”


“How long were you on the phone that night?”

“Um…I think until around three-ish.”

“It amazing that you two found three hours worth of subjects to talk about.”

“It was quite easy with Garrett.”

“Did your school work suffer—even in the tiniest little bit?” She changed the subject.

“Nope, I’m great at multitasking. I’d tell him when I need to get off and it’s not like I normally
have the time to study at night anyways.”

“Didn’t your parents notice the late hours on your cell phone?”

“If they did they didn’t say anything about it. I have unlimited nights and weekends.”

“It sounds like you had your life pretty balanced.”

I shrugged, “There wasn’t too much to balance in the first place.”
♠ ♠ ♠
story comments=motivation