Status: Complete.

Scribbles of a Broken Heart

Movie Goodbyes

Mrs. Carpenter went into the kitchen to call Garrett’s father. I was still on the floor, on the verge of bawling. My sobs and sniffles echoed throughout the household. I looked up at Garrett to find him already staring at me. His eyes were so sad, the blue color the lightest I’ve ever seen them and glazed over.

“What do you want me to say?” he asked.

I shook my head, unable to speak. The words would just come out all wrong and stuttered.
I pressed my cheek so my legs again, but this time in Garrett’s direction. I studied the creases in his khakis, the shine of his dress shoes.

“Talk to me, please,” he whispered.

I hoisted myself up and sat next to him on the leather couch.

“How i-ironic,” I strangled laugh passed through my lips. “This is where we first met. On this sa-same couch, on these very positions. This is where we b-began.”

“Stop it,” he pleaded. “Don’t say what I think you’re going to say.”

“This is wh-where we’re gonna end.”

“No.” Garrett reached out to hold me but I scooted away.

“Don’t,” I refused. He looked a little hurt, so I buried my face in the crook of my arms.

Garrett moved a little closer to me. “Constance,” he called quietly. “It’s gonna be another hour before your parents get here. Why waste it being miserable?”

“What else is there to do? We’re already in t-trouble. We’re in a lot of tr-trouble.”

“You’ve already given up,” he accused. “You’re parents aren't even here yet, Constance, and you’re acting like there’s nothing left.

I slowly lifted my head from my arms, angry. I wiped the remaining tears with the back of my hand; the crying subsided just the tiniest bit. I slowly turned to him and said, “Tell me Garrett, what is there?! You don’t think I know what’s going to happen once my parents get here? I know exactly what is going to happen, and I’m scared of it.”

His breathing became a little heavier, and he looked at me with concern. “You have me. You have to know that you have me.”

“Not in an hour I won’t.”

I bit my lip hard and scrunched up my face, a new batch of tears biting at my eyes.

Garrett gave into my pessimism, “Then hold on to me while you still can.

I lost it. He was right. I had to touch him, I had to let him hold me. In fifty-nine minutes we wouldn’t have the opportunity. I had the chance now and I had to cling on with all the energy I had. I nearly tackled him down with the way I threw myself at him. I squeezed the mid-section of his back and rubbed my cheek against the rough material of his oxford shirt. Garrett embraced me just as tightly and whispered soothing words into my ear. His lips were so close that they our skin touched when he said certain words.

“Garrett and Constance!”

I lifted my head to see Mrs. Carpenter storm in, but placed my head down with indifference.

“Get off of each other!”

“Mom! Please. Let us have this one hour to ourselves,” Garrett begged.

She must have understood since she said in response, “Don’t let her parents find you two like that. I’ll be outside waiting for them.”

When Garrett heard his mom close the screen door he moved me on to his lap.

We stayed like that for half an hour. I was out of tears and the sobs didn’t come as often.

“What am I gonna do without you?”

“You’re never not going to have me,” he assured.

“No, seriously. My whole high school experience has involved you…you’re such a big part of it.”

“Stop thinking like this is the end.”

“How am I supposed to think then?”

He softly thumbed the skin just above my knees, “Don’t think at all.”

“What, just feel? I’m feeling it all.”

“Shh,” he hushed.

“I’m really scared,” I admitted.

“I know.”

I traced his jaw-line with my forefinger. “Are you going to get in trouble?”

“I don’t know. Maybe a little.”

I nodded, causing my nose to brush his warm neck. I inhaled, trying to embed his scent into
my mind.

Garrett didn’t bother to ask if I was going to be in trouble. He already knew the answer—we both did—and did not want to bring that up.

“What time is it?”

“Almost quarter to.”

I exhaled. We had a little over fifteen minutes.

“Do you want to do one of those cheesy movie-break-up-goodbyes? You know, minus the
breaking up part though?”

“Are you being serious?” Garrett questioned.

“Yeah, and don’t think that I’m being pessimistic. I just…I have to this, okay?”

He gave one nod.

I took a deep breath. “When I think about how much a part of my life you are right now, it’s scary…yet kind of cool at the same time. I’ve experienced so many new things with you. You’re just…amazing. And I don’t like to think about life without you in it. I don’t want it to be tomorrow,” I replayed everything I just said. “Woah, did that sound as corny as I think it did?”

“No. You couldn’t have said it better.”

I smiled, “Your turn.”

Garrett shook his head, “I’m not saying goodbye.”

“Garrett,” I complained.

“No, Constance. I’m not going to say any kind of goodbye because I know that we can get through this. This isn’t the end, there’s always another way, no matter what.”

“This isn’t like TV. There isn’t always a simple solution out. My parents aren’t going to see how much we like each other and then forget about the whole thing. This is real life, with real consequences. Say goodbye,” I demanded. “Even if it’s half-assed and for my sake alone.”

He sighed, almost angrily.

“I’m doing this for you,” he told me before sighing again. “I’ve had a lot of girlfriends, and I’ve been on a lot of dates. But to you, they don’t even compare. This is the biggest commitment that I have ever made in my life, and I have no regrets.” He quickly glanced away but then regained eye contact, “I still don’t. It kills me to know that the only thing keeping us apart, has nothing to do with us. Yes, I know that these are the people that made you, and raised you, and love you…but they’re keeping you from a love that you deserve to have. And I know that you didn’t like deceiving your parents for the past two months, but I hope that you agree with me when I say that this has been the best two months of my life. And it hurts me to see that you’re already giving up because we got caught. There’s always something…no matter how complicated or simple, there’s always something. “I don’t know what’s going to happen once you leave this house tonight, but I want you to remain hopeful. You have to remain hopeful.”

It was only when Garrett ceased speaking that I realized my breath was held.

“That definitely was not assed in any way.”

“Promise me,” he begged.

“Promise you what?”

“Promise me that you’ll remain hopeful.”

I had to look away, “I don’t know if I’ll uphold it.”

We didn’t say anymore after that. Garrett and I held each other in silence, stealing kisses every once in a while. I flinched when I heard a car door close, shortly followed by Mrs. Carpenter’s loud voice.

I slid off his lap and scooted away.

I closed my eyes tightly, ‘Mom’s home.’
♠ ♠ ♠
i know, i feel like it's been forever since i've updated. i didn't want to break this turn of events into three parts, but i have to because of lenth and the time i have.
school starts on tuesday and I (being the procrastinaor) i still have 42 questions of ap euro to do, so i don't think i can write as often.
but, i hope that less updates don't mean less comments. they honestly keep me going.