Status: Complete.

Scribbles of a Broken Heart

Hope

“It was three weeks after Garrett and I broke up. I had lost six pounds and almost all care for the world around me.”

“And then?” She pried.

I smiled, “He gave me the hope I needed to fight back.”

A wave of relief washed over me as I got out of the car and looked up at the back entrance of St. Joseph’s. Any time spent with my parents was agony, but my mom and I alone in a locked car was almost unbearable. I missed riding the bus. My mom was going to work an hour later just to take me to school every day. The lengths they would go to “protect” their daughter was ridiculous.

I zipped up my jacket as the cold December wind chilled my body. I smelled the black of the bacon as I passed the cafeteria doors before the stairwell that lead to the freshmen hallway. Students hurriedly passed me, even though it was thirty minutes before the start of school.

The lockers were in alphabetical order, so I was in the middle of the left wall. As I approached, there was a group of girls huddled around. My eyebrows went up and a confused look set across my face.

“Could you guys talk somewhere else? I have to get to my locker,” I said to them.

Six pairs of eyes turned to me and they silently parted to make a path. My locker came into view as they continued to separate and I saw that it was covered in paper from top to bottom.
I stepped closer until I was less than a foot away. A big roll of white paper was cut and taped to my locker. There was big writing with very little space in between the lines. I began reading the first couple rows out loud.

“Check yes Juliet, are you with me?”

My voice fell to a whisper as I skimmed my way to the bottom. There, in Garrett’s handwriting, was all the lyrics to Check Yes Juliet (Run Baby Run) by We the Kings. He knew that this was my favorite song three weeks ago. I knew all the lyrics by heart, and now they were playing in my head over and over. At that moment it seemed that that song was written especially for us; about our situation.

I quickly reached for the lock and turned to the numbers of my combination. Once I reached the last digit I lifted the handle and swung the door open.

I sharply inhaled.

All kinds of purple petals and flowers filled the inside of my locker—lavender daises taped to the side walls, deep violet tulip petals scattered across my books. My eyes were then drawn to the very back wall where a blue piece of paper hung. I lifted the paper and brought it near my face, “Check Yes Constance.” A small box was drawn in the corner.

Two hands then grabbed my waist and I was pressed against a familiar body. His cheek rubbed against my hair as he placed his mouth next to my ear.

He sang softly:

“Run baby run
Don’t ever look back
They’ll tear us apart
If you give them the chance
Don’t sell your heart
Don’t say we’re not meant to be
Run baby run
Forever we’ll be
You and me”

I reached up my hand and tangled my hand in his soft hair—the first time I had touched him in over twenty-one days. I spun around and embraced him, and he held me just as tightly.

Things felt so right.

“Why did you do this?”

He pulled away so that he could see me, but kept his arms around my mid-section.

“We need each other,” he stated simply. “I need you to fight them with me.”

“We can’t win.”

“Check yes,” he told me.

I looked in to his eyes and a warm sensation washed over me. He looked somewhat happy, but that was enough for me. Neither of us was happy anymore, and I could no longer see the cons that came with going against my parents. And even if he and I could not win this battle, I would at least be able to say that I fought for the person I loved.

I leaned in to him, “I’m with you.”
♠ ♠ ♠
two chapters in three days, i think that deserves lots of comments. but honestly, they make me smile. so make my week ahead a little less crappy.

and just in case one of you have not heard the awesomeness that is check yes juliet, the video is down below.