A Real Crowd Pleaser

Peter Pan, that's what they call me I promise that you'll never be lonely,

“We knew this day was coming,” I mutter as I pick the black nail polish off my fingers. “We had all summer to prepare.”

“It doesn’t mean I’m ready to lose my best friend.” Jimmy sighs as he puts an arm around my shoulders; pulling me closer to him. “I can’t convince you to go to Eastern Illinois?”

“You know the answer to that.” I let out a humorless chuckle. “UGA is my dream college. I have to go.”

“I know you do. I’m still going to miss you through. What am I going to do without my Robin?”

I pull away from him and playfully glare at his comment. “Who the hell says I’m your Robin? If anything I’m the catwoman to your batman.”

He just laughs, “I’m really going to miss you Dally. You have no idea.”

“You act like this is going to be the last time I see you,” I chuckle as I grab his hands. “James, you cannot get rid of me. I’m always going to be there for you, no matter what. Just promise me you won’t forget me when you become this world famous quarterback, okay?”

“Like I’ll ever forget your crazy southernbelle ass.” He laughs. “Just promise me that we’ll always have the holidays and summers to spend with each other.”

“Cross my heart.” I smile as I wrap my arms around his torso and bury my face into his chest; taking in his scent. I’m going to miss this guy. He’s my rock. If it wasn’t for him, I probably wouldn’t be here.

“Dallas, come on. We need to get you on the road if we’re going to make it to UGA on time.” My dad says. “You’ll see Jimmy in a couple months.” A sigh escapes my lips as well as Jimmy’s as I pull away from him and get up off my front porch.

“See you at Thanksgiving?” I ask as I turn to my best friend.

“I’d be offended if we didn’t.” He smiles as he gets up and pulls me into one final hug. “Give Georgia hell.” He whispers before kissing the top of my head. He pulls away and gives me one final look before he begins walking over to his house right next door.

I take a deep breath in before I head to my dad’s pickup truck that’s packed to the gills with all my things. “You’re going to be fine, baby girl.” My dad says as I get in and buckle up. “You don’t need to pine after a guy that can’t see what he has sitting in front of him. You’ll find someone in Georgia that wants to be with you; trust me.”

“Whatever you say dad.” I mutter as I put my earbuds in and rest my head up against the window. I honestly don’t want to talk about this anymore. I just want to get to Georgia and if I have to do that in silence so be it...
♠ ♠ ♠
title lyric credit: Lost Boy by Ruth B

comment and subscribe? Looking for characters. Message if interested