A Real Crowd Pleaser

If forevers out the door I'll ignore, when you call

Dallas; ten years ago

I thump my pencil against the desk in the basement to the beat of Teenage Dirtbag as I try and think of a way to end the chapter I’m working on. This story is something I’ve worked on since I was younger. It’s been edited and re-edited and rewritten since the dawn of time. I just can’t seem to get it write. I don’t know what the story is about anymore; I’ve changed the plot a 100 times on the drive up alone. I guess I’ll figure it out sooner or later. I’m going to have a lot of time by myself. Only upside to being the new girl...no friends.

Just as the song fades into Semi-Charmed Life I hear a knock behind me. I drop my pencil on the desk and turn around; instantly greeted by a smile that belongs to the boy next door. Now that I can see him better, I can’t help but to realize how adorable his dimples are.

“H-hi.” I shakily say.

“Hey.” He chuckles. “Your mom said it was okay to come down here but I can leave. I could always go back upstairs and be tortured by adult talk.”

“You’re guilt tripping a stranger?” I ask with a smirk, earning one from the boy in front of me. “We’re going to be great friends..”

“I’m Jimmy.” He introduces himself with a genuine smile.

“I’m Dallas.”

Maybe living here won’t be so bad…


Present time

Do It Like a Dude plays as I get ready for the club. David talked me into going out with him and a few of his teammates which sadly includes Jimmy. But the upside is that I get to hang with David and say I partied with Gronk. Plus David managed to talk Aaron and his brother Josh into coming out as well. It’ll be nice to see some more familiar faces.

Just as I finish braiding my hair, Leanne comes into the room completely dolled up and ready to go. “What’s your deal with that guy back at the field? The one with the dimples?” She asks. “You seemed pretty upset when you saw him.”

“He was my first friend when I moved up to Illinois. He stuck by myself throughout high school despite the fact we were in two totally different cliques. He even took me to our senior prom.” I tell her, “but when it came to us in college, I was easily forgotten. He completely blew me off every time I tried to call. I was thrown away. I never in a million years thought Jimmy would do that. He was my white knight for fucks sake.”

“He’s coming tonight isn’t he?” I just nod my head. “You going to be okay? Need me to kick his ass?”

I just laugh as I walk up to her and pull her into a hug. “What would I do without you?”

“You’d be bored and depressed all the time.” She laughs as she pulls away. “Now finish getting that ass of yours ready. We got a boy to make jealous.” I just shake my head and finish getting ready as she leaves the room…

**

Some Meghan Trainor song is playing as Leanne and I make our way to the VIP section where the Patriots are all sitting around. First person I see is David. Instead of greeting me with a hug, he greets me with a well needed cocktail. One sip of my Long Island Iced Tea and I nearly forget about the drama that happened at practice.

“I’m pretty sure I don’t have to introduce the guys,” David starts. “Guys this is Dallas Danvers and Leanne Hardin of the Atlanta Steam.” One by one the guys say their “heys” and introduce the lovely woman on the arms. It doesn’t take long before Jimmy blends into the crowd as I become fast friends with his teammates girlfriends.

“It’s about damn time you got here!” I hear David yell over the Skrillex crap the club is playing. I turn away from Sam, Julian Edelman’s girlfriend and see Aaron and Josh Murray walking into the VIP section looking as hot as ever. I can’t help but to smirk when Aaron’s eyes meet mine.

“Boyfriend?” I hear Sam ask.

“Ex.” I reply, my eyes never leaving Aaron’s. He smiles at me as he makes his way towards me. He pulls me up off the velvet couch I was sitting on and straight into a hug.

“David says you need me.” He whispers in my ear. “Whose ass to I have to kick?”

I pull away a little bit and nod my head to Jimmy. “But I need you for another thing.”

“Like?” He smirks.

“Not that, perv.” I slap his chest. “I need your help making Jimmy wish he never blew me off…”
♠ ♠ ♠
Title credit: Drive by Miley Cyrus (don't judge)

Dallas

comment&subscribe?