Somebody Like Me

Thirteen: On One Condition

Gently running a hand over his face, Sergio allowed a small yawn to fall out of his mouth as he padded into the kitchen, his ears filled with the quiet which hung around the apartment. It was still early, after their talk the night before, Cassie had been kind enough to offer him the couch for the night, and whilst he appreciated that she wanted to be slightly cautious when it came to their new relationship, a small part of him regretted agreeing, even if he hadn’t wanted to push her. Cassie’s couch had been slightly too small to accommodate his tall frame and had left him with a few aches and pains.

Sparing another soft yawn into his hand, he padded towards the fridge and pull it open, moving to take a sip from the carton of orange juice which sat in the door.

“You’re up early”

Sergio jumped at the sound of Cassie’s voice, something which caused him to spill the juice down his shirt before he lifted his head, his dark eyes settling on where Cassie stood in the doorway, a slightly amused smiled perched on her lips. “I didn’t mean to startle you” she quipped “I just wasn’t quite expecting to see you up so soon” she added, gently offering a towel out towards him.

Sergio took the towel out of her hand before he shook his head. “Your couch is too small for me” he mused softly “And besides, you’re an early riser anyways and I’m sure that you don’t want me under your feet whilst you get ready for work” he added, offering her a small shy smile. It still felt slightly odd, even despite the conversation they’d had the night before, things still felt slightly awkward, but Sergio was confident that it would pass, even if it did take them a little while to get used to things, he was sure that they’d get used to one another again.

Cassie admired the slightly shy smile he wore before she stepped towards him, pushing herself up onto her toes before she pressed a light kiss against his lips. Sergio stilled, slightly surprised by the soft kiss, before he wrapped his arms around her waist, holding her close for a couple of seconds before he leant back, resting his forehead on hers. “What was that for?” he mumbled softly, his nose lightly brushing against hers.

Cassie quirked a small smile before she shrugged, something which made Sergio chuckle a little before he dipped down, sneaking another soft kiss before he leant back, offering her another soft smile. “You have work this morning?” he posed softly.

Cassie shook her head. “I’ve got a couple of days before my next deadline and so I was going to hang around here” she mused softly “You have training?” she posed, stepping away from him slightly.

Sergio admired her for a couple of seconds before he shook his head, a small smile playing at the corner of his mouth. “I have the day off” he mused as he stepped towards her, his arms softly wrapping around her waist.

Cassie peeked down at his arms for a moment before she tilted her head, peeking up at him. “You do?” she posed impishly.

“I do” Sergio confirmed “Do you think you can spare a couple of hours to go and grab some breakfast?” he posed, pressing a soft kiss against her shoulder. He knew that it was soon, even despite Cassie’s pregnancy, their relationship was still in its early stages, but he wanted to make the effort, even if things were likely to feel a little complicated for a while. He wanted the two of them to give things their best shot.

Cassie smiled a little at the feeling of his lips against her shoulder before she shrugged playfully, something which caused Sergio to poke her side. “I am sure that you can spare a couple of hours from your busy schedule” he mumbled softly “I’ll even pay” he added, pressing another kiss against her shoulder.

Cassie feigned thought for a couple of seconds before she turned in his arms, pressing a quick kiss against his lips. “I’ll go and get dressed” she mumbled softly before she pulled out of their embrace, padding out of the room. Sergio watched after her for a couple of seconds before he shook his head, a soft amused smile pulling at the corner of his mouth.

He knew that they had to be careful, with the baby due to arrive in a matter of months, the last thing they wanted was for things between them to stutter and fall apart, but Sergio was optimistic, even if it was still early days. He was optimistic that he and Cassie would give it their best shot.

~#~
“Have you given any more thought as to when you want to tell your padre about peanut?” Sergio posed as he sipped on his mug of coffee, his dark eyes settled on Cassie who sat opposite him, finishing up the last of her food.

It had been a quiet morning, with the two of them still slightly uncertain around one another, there had been more than a couple of awkward silences, but still Sergio had enjoyed himself, even if it had been a little tense. It was the best it had been a little a while and he was keen to keep it that way.

Cassie, who’d been pushing the last of her meal around her plate, lifted her head at his question. “Huh?” she posed.

“Your papa” Sergio quipped “Have you given any more thought as to when you want to share the news that he’s about to become a grandpa?” he added, his dark eyes peeking down towards her stomach briefly. It was still a strange notion, the idea that Cassie was expecting their child still hadn’t quite settled in, but he knew that they had to get their heads around it, even if they had a while before the baby arrived. They still had a lot to figure out and he wanted to make a start on it.

Cassie mulled his words over for a couple of seconds before she shook her head. “I haven’t” she mused “But I think I am going to have to tell him pretty soon. Peanut’s already starting to give me a little bit of a bump and it won’t be too long before it becomes noticeable” she added, her hand gently brushing against the front of her shirt.

Sergio smiled a little at the movement of her hand before he shook his head. “Do you want me to be around when you tell him?” he posed softly.

Cassie tilted her head. “You want to meet my papa?” she posed, her eyebrow raised slightly.

Sergio shrugged “It is up to you” he mused softly “But peanut is half on me and I figured I ought to be there. You don’t want me to be?” he posed softly.

Cassie blinked, slightly caught off guard by his words, before she shook her head. “I’d like that” she mused softly “I mean I don’t quite know how my papa is going to take this news, but I’d like it if you were there, even if there is a chance of him not taking the news fantastically. I think we’d stand a better change of him reacting well if you were there too” she explained softly.

She knew that it would be a surprise for her father, the idea that she was not only dating someone new, but pregnant too, but she was hopeful that he would take the news well. He’d always talked about the prospect of grandchildren and she was hopeful that he’d welcome the news of her pregnancy, even if it was a surprise. She was hopeful that he would look forwards to the idea of becoming a grandfather.

Sergio mulled her words over for a couple of seconds before he nodded his head. “If you want me there, then I will be there, but on one condition” he mused as he reached his hand gently across the table, playing with her fingers.

Cassie tilted her head. “One condition?” she posed.

“My parents” Sergio mused, not looking away from their hands “They’re coming into town in a couple of weeks and I would like you to be there when I tell them about…about this” he added gently.

Cassie offered him a soft look, briefly mulling his words over, before she nodded her head hesitantly. “I think that that sounds like something I can do” she mused softly.

Sergio offered her a small look, wordlessly asking if she was sure, before he offered her hand a small squeeze, wordlessly assuring her that they’d figure things out as they went along.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to FootieJo and Jayme112234 for the comments :)