Somebody Like Me

Fourteen: Boyfriend

Gently running a brush through her dark hair, Cassie spared a soft glance towards the mirror which stood ahead of her, wordlessly checking her appearance to ensure that she looked alright. It had been a little while, after her talk with Sergio, a couple of weeks had passed, and with Elsa having assured them that her pregnancy was progressing well, she and Sergio had opted to start sharing the news with their families, something which had led to her inviting her father out to dinner.

She knew that it couldn’t be avoided, with her pregnancy progressing, it was only a matter of time before the bump she carried became noticeable, but still she was apprehensive, even if her father had talked about the idea of welcoming a grandchild in the future. She worried that the news wouldn’t go down to well with him.

Sparing a slightly nervous sound, she gently set her hairbrush down onto the dresser before the sound of someone clearing their throat reached her ears, causing her to turn slightly and peek up towards Sergio who rested against the doorframe, a comforting grin perched on his features.

“You OK?” he posed, his voice warm and comforting. He knew that she was nervous, even despite the fact that she wanted to tell her father before he found out from anyone else, he knew that she was slightly apprehensive, and he wanted to comfort her, even if he had no idea how her father would react to news of her pregnancy. He didn’t want her to get herself worked up.

Cassie, who’d moved to collect her shoes, shrugged slightly, but didn’t say anything, something which made Sergio shake his head before he stepped towards her, his arms softly wrapping around her waist. “You know” he mumbled softly “If you really don’t want to, we don’t have to go tonight. I am sure your papa won’t mind if we take a raincheck” he added, pressing a soft kiss to the side of her neck.

Cassie closed her eyes at the feeling of his lips against her skin before she shook her head, resting back against him slightly. “We have to tell him eventually” she mumbled softly “And peanut is growing quickly. I’ve already got a little bump and I’d like to tell my padre before it becomes too obvious” she added, her hand gently brushing over the front of her shirt.

Sergio watched the small movement of her hand before he gently shifted his own, resting it against her stomach. “We’ve still got a little time, Cass” he mumbled gently “You’ve barely got any kind of bump and that means we can afford to wait. If you don’t want to do this now…”

“I want to” Cassie interrupted softly “I’m…I’m just a little nervous. I mean, this is going to be a huge surprise for him. He’s going to meet you for the first time and then he’s going to find out about peanut and I am just…I’m worried about how he’s going to take it” she admitted softly, her green eyes meeting his darker ones shyly.

Sergio held her stare for a couple of moments before he gently shifted his arms, offering her a soft hug. “It is going to be a huge surprise” he mumbled softly “I mean, meeting your new boyfriend is one thing, but meeting the new boyfriend who’s gotten you pregnant? It’s bound to knock him for six, but Cass, even if he doesn’t react fantastically, we’ve got something pretty important to be focused on” he added, his hand gently passing over her stomach once more.

He knew that it was going to be a surprise, as far as he was aware, Cassie had only mentioned him briefly to her father, but he didn’t want her to worry too much about his reaction, even if she and her father were particularly close. The last thing he wanted was for her to become upset.

Cassie peeked down at his hand gently before she lifted her head, offering him a slightly dubious look.

Sergio chuckled a little before he pressed a soft kiss to the side of her head. “It’ll be fine, Cassie” he mumbled softly.

Cassie spared him another uncertain look before the sound of her phone beeping reached them, something which caused Sergio to offer her a small squeeze. “We should get going” he mused softly “I’d hate to keep your papa waiting” he added, offering her a small playful smile.

Cassie admired his warm smile for a couple of seconds before she pushed herself up onto her toes, sneaking a quick kiss before she moved to pull her shoes on, a knot twitching in the pit of her stomach at the prospect of her father meeting Sergio for the first time.

~#~
Gently straightening out the material of the sweater she wore, Cassie allowed her green eyes to survey the restaurant for a couple of seconds before they fell on her father, something which caused her stomach to turn a little. She knew that she couldn’t duck out, regardless of how nervous she was, she knew that she had to speak with her father eventually, but still her mind briefly wandered to the idea of walking off, even if she knew that she couldn’t avoid it forever. Part of her wanted to shy away for a little longer.

“You ready?”

Cassie, who’d drifted off slightly, startled at the sound of Sergio’s voice before she turned her head, offering him a small nervous smile. “As ready as I can be” she mused softly “You still sure about wanting to do this?” she added softly.

“As sure as I can be” Sergio retorted with a grin.

Cassie rolled her eyes playfully before she gently leant down, knotting their fingers together before she carefully led him across the restaurant, stopping slightly short of the table which her father sat at. “Papa?” she posed softly.

Alonso, who’d been perusing the wine menu, startled a little at the sound of Cassie’s voice before he lifted his head, his face brightening with a soft fatherly smile. “Cassandra” he greeted warmly. “It’s so good to see you, princesa. You look beautiful” he fussed as he pushed himself up to his feet, quickly pulling her into a soft hug.

Cassie offered him a soft smile before she carefully ducked back, stepping back towards Sergio.

Alonso followed her movements before he tilted his head, his dark eyes surveying Sergio for a moment before he turned back towards his daughter. “I didn’t realize you were bringing someone, Cassandra” he mused softly “Aren’t you going to introduce us?” he added.

Cassie shifted slightly before she nodded softly. “Of course” she mused “Papa, this is Sergio, he’s…he’s my boyfriend. Sergio, this is Alonso Gomes, my padre” she babbled softly, her cheeks a soft shade of pink.

“Sergio” Alonso noted softly “I don’t think Cassandra has mentioned you” he added, offering his hand out towards the younger man.

Sergio shook his head. “I doubt she would have” he mused softly “It’s something we’ve both been trying to keep pretty close to our chests” he added, shaking the older man’s hand.

Alonso spared him a slightly doubtful look before he shook his head, gesturing towards the table which stood beside them. “We should sit down” he mused softly “It’s been a while since we had dinner together, Cassandra” he added, offering her a soft smile as he sat down.

Cassie offered him a slightly uncertain look, something which made Sergio squeeze her hand, wordlessly assuring her that, regardless of her father’s reaction, things would be alright.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Jayme112234 and FootieJo for the comments :)