Somebody Like Me

Fifteen: Surprise

“So, Cassandra, how are things?” Alonso posed as he sipped on his glass of water, his dark eyes settled on his daughter who sat opposite him, pushing the last of her dessert around her plate. It had been quiet, after Cassie and Sergio had sat down, neither of them had mustered two words towards him, and Alonso wanted to encourage them to talk, wanting to know what had led to the impromptu dinner invitation. It had caught him off guard, the idea that Cassie wanted to have dinner with him had surprised him, and he had to admit that his interest was piqued, something which was only furthered by the quietness of his daughter and her boyfriend.

Cassie, who’d been quiet pushing the last piece of her food around her plate, lifted her head at the sound of her father’s voice before she blinked a couple of times. “Huh?” she spluttered.

Alonso quirked a small smile before he shook his head. “How are things, Cassandra?” he repeated softly “I mean, not that I am not thrilled to see you, but I was sort of wondering why you’ve invited me out to dinner. I wasn’t supposed to see you until next month” he added, his voice soft and playful.

Cassie admired the soft smile he wore for a couple of seconds before she shook her head, the stare of her green eyes dropping down towards the plate which sat ahead of her. “There is something I need to talk to you about, papa” she mumbled softly “And I thought it was best to tell you face to face rather than over the phone” she added, shifting slightly in her seat.

She knew that she had to tell him, regardless of his reaction, he had every right to know that he was about to become a grandfather, but still she felt more than a little nervous, something which had led her to be quiet for the majority of their dinner.

Alonso tilted his head. “You have something to tell me?” he posed, a small frown pulling at the corner of his mouth.

Cassie nodded. “I do” she mused softly “Papa…Me and Sergio, we….we’re…”

“We’re expecting a baby” Sergio interrupted softly, his hand offering Cassie’s a small squeeze.

Alonso, who’d been watching his daughter, jumped slightly at the sound of the defender’s voice before he shifted his gaze, settling it on Sergio. “What?” he squeaked softly.

“We’re having a baby, papa” Cassie mumbled softly, cutting off Sergio as he moved to speak again “I’m nearly 10 weeks into it now and we figured that we…that we’d let you know before my bump becomes too obvious” she added, her voice wavering slightly with nerves.

Alonso blinked a couple of times, trying to wrap his head around her words, before he peeked down towards her stomach. “You…You’re going to be a madre?” he posed gently.

Cassie spared him a slightly shy look before she nodded her head. “I am” she mused softly “And I know it is a bit of a surprise…”

“That’s an understatement, Cassandra” Alonso interjected with a small awed laugh “I didn’t even know about Sergio” he added playfully, offering a small look towards the defender who sat quietly at his girlfriend’s side, his hand gently squeezing hers.

Cassie nodded. “I know that” she mumbled softly “And I’m sorry to drop this on you out of the blue but...but you’re going to be an abuelo, papa” she added, the faintest of smiles pulling at the corner of her mouth.

Alonso allowed the word ‘abuelo’ to hang around them for a couple of seconds before he carefully pushed his chair back, allowing him to stand up before he reached his hands out, quickly pulling Cassie out of her chair and into a warm hug. Cassie let out a small squeak, more than a little surprised by the sudden hug, but still wrapped her arms around her father, something which caused Sergio to smile softly, glad that Alonso had seemingly taken the news better than Cassie had been anticipating.

Alonso held onto his daughter for a couple of seconds before he carefully ducked back, offering her a soft fatherly smile. “I’m happy for you, Cassandra” he mused softly “I mean, I am more than slightly surprised that I am going to be a grandpa, but I am thrilled for you, sweetheart” he enthused gently.

“You are?” Cassie squeaked softly, her expression slightly surprised.

Alonso let out a slightly amused laugh before he nodded his head. “It’s a surprise” he repeated softly “But I’ve always liked the idea of being an abuelo” he added, offering her a warm smile.

Cassie’s cheeks tinted a soft shade of pink before she shook her head. “I should go and freshen up before we call a taxi” she mused softly “I’ll be back in a couple of minutes” she added, pecking Sergio’s lips briefly before she padded away from the table.

Sergio watched her for a couple of seconds before the sound of Alonso clearing his throat reached his ears, causing him to turn slightly, his dark eyes settling on the older man who’d moved back to his seat. “Senor Gomes…”

“I don’t intend to give you a speech, Sergio” Alonso interrupted softly “I learnt a long time ago not to interfere in my daughter’s love life, but I do want to ask you to be careful with her, especially with the baby on the way” he added softly.

“Sir…”

“She is my daughter, Sergio, and the baby, they’re my first grandchild, and I’d just…I’d like you to try and make sure that things are comfortable and settled by the time the baby arrives. I know it is still very new, you and Cassandra, you’re pretty obvious, but please, promise me that you’ll take good care of them both” Alonso explained softly, his dark eyes levelling with the younger man’s. He didn’t want to interfere, whatever happened between Sergio and his daughter was their business and their business alone, but still he wanted to ask Sergio to be careful, even if he knew better than to meddle in Cassie’s love life. The last thing he wanted was to watch his daughter, or his first grandchild, get hurt.

Sergio stared at the older man for a couple of seconds before he nodded his head. “I can’t promise it will be perfect” he noted softly “You’re right, me and Cass, it’s still very new and there’s no guarantee that it will work out, but, Sir, I promise you that I will do whatever I can to make sure that things are as easy as they can be for both Cassie and peanut too” he added before he reached his hand out, offering it towards Alonso.

Alonso eyed it for a couple of seconds before he nodded his head, shaking Sergio’s hand briefly. “I hope so, Sergio” he noted.

Sergio offered him a small smile before Cassie stepped back towards the table, something which caused him to shift his arm around her waist, pulling her slightly closer as he pressed a gentle kiss to the side of her head.

Alonso smiled a little at the small amorous action before he quietly shook his head, hoping that Sergio could keep his word.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to FootieJo for the comment :)