Somebody Like Me

Sixteen: It’s A Date

“Are you sure that you don’t mind me not being there?”

Cassie, who was sat outside of the maternity ward, quirked a small smile at the soft sound of Sergio’s voice through the phone before she shook her head, gently adjusting her jacket around her. It had been a couple of weeks, after they’d had dinner with her father, things had become a little more comfortable between the two of them, and Cassie had to admit that she was pleased, even if they did still have the odd awkward moment. She was pleased that things seemed to be calming down a little.

“I don’t mind” Cassie mused softly “I mean, I’d prefer it if you were here, but I doubt that your parents are going to be too fond of you ditching them at the airport” she added, her fingers gently messing with the bottom of her coat. It had been a small surprise, the news that Sergio’s parents were due to arrive on the same morning as her 12 week scan had caught them slightly off guard, but still Cassie had encouraged Sergio to head to the airport, even if she was slightly disappointed that he’d not be around for the scan. The last thing she wanted was to get on the wrong side of his parents before she’d even met them.

“I’m sure that they’d understand, Cass” he mused softly “I mean, it’s kind of a big deal” he added.

“It is” Cassie agreed with a small nod “But I promise you, I’ll get a copy of the DVD and a couple of pictures and I’ll show it to you later. You’re still going to drop by tonight aren’t you?” she posed softly, her eyes sparing a brief look down towards her watch.

“I am” Sergio confirmed “And I am already looking forwards to seeing peanut’s latest scan. You sure that you’re OK?” he posed, his voice slightly concerned.

He knew that it couldn’t be avoided, with his mother and father due to arrive at the same time as Cassie’s midwife’s appointment, he knew that he couldn’t duck out on his parents, but still he wanted to ensure that she wasn’t upset. It was a big day and he was more than a little disappointed that he wouldn’t be there to share the moment with her.

“I’m fine, Sergio” Cassie mused softly “And I get it. You’ve not told your parents about me yet, let alone about peanut. I get that you need to be there right now” she enthused softly.

Sergio made a slightly dubious sound into the phone, something which made Cassie giggle a little before she shook her head. “I’ll have the DVD tonight” she quipped softly “And you’ll be able to see peanut then. I’ll see you then?” she added, checking the time one more.

“It’s a date” Sergio quipped, the grin almost audible in his words.

Cassie rolled her eyes playfully before she mumbled a soft goodbye. Pushing herself up to her feet, she stowed her phone into her bag before she padded into the maternity ward, her stomach twitching a little in excitement.

She knew that they still had a way to go, with her having reached the 12 week mark, they were still a little over 6 months away from the baby’s arrival, but already Cassie was excited, even if she was sure that there would be more than one bump along way. Part of her couldn’t wait for the baby to arrive.

~#~
“I’m sorry that I am late” Sergio mused as he followed Cassie into the kitchen, his arms gently wrapping around her waist as she moved to pull a pan off of the stove.

It was a little late, with his parents having arrived, Sergio had found it a little harder than he had expected to get away, but he was pleased that he had, even if he was only likely to stay for a couple of hours, he was looking forwards to spending a little time with his girlfriend. It still felt a little strange, the way in which their relationship had changed still felt slightly unfamiliar, but he was pleased with how things were progressing between the two of them.

Cassie, who’d moved to place the pan down on the counter, shook her head a little before she tilted it, offering him a small smile. “It’s OK” she mused softly “I mean, I’ve not made you any dinner, but at least you're here” she added, poking her tongue out playfully.

Sergio rolled his he eyes dramatically before he ducked his head, stealing a couple of light kisses. Cassie smiled a little at the feeling of his kiss, enjoying it for a couple of seconds, before she pulled back a little, gently poking his side. “Come on” she mused softly “I’ve got something to show you” she added before she gently moved to knot their fingers together, leading him through towards the living room.

Sergio followed in her footsteps and moved to settle on the couch, his dark eyes settling on the sonogram picture which sat on the top of the coffee table. Sparing it a look, he carefully leant forwards and lifted it into his hand, his face creasing into a warm smile. It was still an odd thought, the idea that he and Cassie were expecting a baby together was one which had yet to settle in, but Sergio had to admit that he was excited, even if it had come along out of the blue, he was more than slightly excited about the new arrival.

“Elsa’s pretty happy”

Sergio, who’d been quietly admiring the sonogram picture, startled a little at the sound of Cassie’s voice before he lifted his head. “Huh?” he posed.

“Elsa” Cassie mused as she sat down beside him “She was pretty happy with how things are going. Peanut’s growing like they’d expect and he or she has a very strong heartbeat too. She seemed very happy” she enthused, her eyes peeking down towards the picture that he held in his hands.

Sergio smiled a little at her words before he spared a soft glance down towards her stomach, something which made Cassie smile a little before she leant into him, sneaking a soft kiss before she moved back to her feet, musing about showing him the scan DVD that Elsa had given to her.

Sergio watched her for a brief moment before he gently reached his hand out, capturing her wrist lightly before he turned her back towards him. Cassie offered him a slightly dubious look, wordlessly asking what he was doing, before Sergio shifted his other hand, gently pushing the material of her sweatshirt up so that he could see the small bump that she carried.

Cassie watched him for a moment, briefly contemplating asking him what he was doing, but she opted to stay quiet, not wanting to spoil his moment.

Sergio spared the small bump a gentle look before he lifted his hand, gently brushing the soft skin before he ducked forwards, pressing the softest of kisses against it. “I know that you were a surprise, peanut” he mumbled softly “I mean, me and your mama, we weren’t quite expecting you to come along, but we’re both looking forwards to meeting you when you come along. We can't wait for you to arrive, peanut” he added, brushing his thumb gently over Cassie’s skin.

Cassie stayed quiet for a moment before she lifted her hand, gently pushing the dark hair off of his forehead so that she could press a gentle kiss to it before she ducked away from him, mumbling about showing him the scan. Sergio watched her quietly before he shook his head, a grin playing at the corner of his mouth. He knew that they were going to have a busy few days, with his parents around, it was likely to be a little tense for a couple of days, but Sergio had to admit that he liked where they were, even if it was a little sudden, and he hoped that things didn’t change too much.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Jayme112234 and FootieJo for the comments :)