Somebody Like Me

Twenty One: You’re Smitten

Gently smoothing out the material of the skirt she wore, Cassie shook her head, a small frown pulling at the corner of her mouth as her green eyes peeked shyly towards the mirror which stood ahead of her. She knew that it wasn’t the biggest deal, dinner with Sergio’s friends was merely another small step in the right direction for their relationship, but still she couldn’t shake the nerves in her stomach.

Sparing another brief glance towards the mirror, she briefly contemplated calling Sergio to cancel before the sound of a knock at her bedroom door reached her ears, causing her to turn slightly, peeking up towards Mia who stood in the doorway, a warm smile perched on her features. “You look nice” she quipped.

Cassie, who’d moved to collect her shoes, offered her a dubious look as she sat down on the edge of the bed. “You think so?” she posed softly.

“I do” Mia confirmed “I mean, I did help pick out your outfit, but I promise you, Cass, you look great” she added comfortingly.

Cassie offered her another slightly dubious look, something which made Mia roll her eyes playfully. “You know, I don’t think I’ve seen you so nervous before” she quipped teasingly “You’re worried about tonight?” she asked, offering her friend a slightly curious look.

Cassie simply shrugged, something which made Mia shake her head. “You’re going to be fine, Cass” she mused softly “I mean, you’ve already dealt with Sergio’s parents, surely his friends ought to be easier to handle, no?” she posed softly. She could see that her friend was nervous, since she had arrived at Cassie’s apartment, the brunette had been a little quieter than usual, and whilst Mia found it sweet that she was so nervous, she wanted to encourage her to relax, knowing that she wouldn’t make the best impression if she wound herself up.

Cassie opened her mouth to retort, but Mia was quicker. “You’re pretty great, Cass” she mused softly “And Sergio is pretty keen to show you off to his friends. Surely that’s a good sign, no?” she added, offering her friend another brief smile.

Cassie noted the smile her friend wore before she shook her head. “I suppose you’re right” she mumbled.

“I normally am” Mia quipped impishly “Now come on, your sort-of-boyfriend is stood out in the living room waiting for you” she added, offering her hand back towards Cassie who glanced at it for a couple of seconds before she took a hold of it, allowing Mia to pull her back up to her feet.

“You’re sure that I look alright?” Cassie quipped as she moved to collect a light jacket, wrapping it around her shoulders.

Mia nodded. “You look beautiful, Cassie” she enthused brightly “Now, get going. I’ll see you at work tomorrow?” she asked.

Cassie spared her a shy smile before she nodded her head, ducking out of the room quietly. Mia watched after her for a moment before she quirked a small smile. She knew that it was early days, from the limited amount that Cassie talked about Sergio, she knew that things between the two of them were still very much in the honeymoon phase, but she hoped it would last for a little while yet. Cassie looked happy, happier than she had done in a while, and Mia wanted to keep it that way for as long as she could.

~#~
“You know, you really don’t have to look so worried”

Cassie, who was quietly slipping the material of her jacket off of her shoulders, jumped a little at the sound of Sergio’s voice, something which made the defender chuckle before he ducked down, pressing a light kiss against her cheek. “It’s just dinner, Cass” he mused softly “We’ll be here for a couple of hours tops and then I will take you home. You’re going to be fine” he enthused, offering her a boyish smile as he moved to take his seat.

Cassie nodded her head softly. “I know that” she mused softly “I guess…I guess I am just a little nervous” she added, sitting down beside him.

Sergio mulled her words over briefly before he carefully shifted his hand, slotting their fingers together before he lifted her hand to his lips, allowing him to press a soft kiss against her warm skin. “I know you are” he mumbled “I mean, since we started to date properly, I don’t think I can remember a second when you weren’t nervous, but I promise, it’s going to be fine. Fernando and Olalla are my friends and they just want the chance to get to know you. You’re going to be around for a while” he added, peeking playfully towards her stomach.

Cassie rolled her eyes slightly, something which caused Sergio’s grin to grown slightly before he leant towards her, stealing a soft kiss. Cassie smiled a little at the contact before the sound of someone clearing their throat reached her ears, causing her to pull back slightly, her green eyes peeking towards the man who stood beside the table, a slightly amused smirk playing at the corner of his mouth. “You must be Cassie” he greeted softly.

Cassie blinked a couple of times, still slightly caught off guard by his arrival, before she nodded her head, quickly fixing the best smile she could muster. “That would be me” she mused softly, gently offering her hand out.

“I’m Fernando” the tall man mused “And this is my wife, Olalla” he added as he shook Cassie’s hand softly.

Cassie offered the couple a slightly nervy smile, something which made Fernando’s smile widen a little before he shook his head. “You’re nervous?” he posed kindly.

Cassie’s cheeks warmed a little. “It’s that obvious?” she posed, shifting her feet slightly.

Fernando chuckled. “A little” he mused “But you really don’t need to be. Me and Olalla, we’re not here to make you feel uncomfortable. We just want to get to know the girl that’s got Sergio all smitten” he added, sparing a playful look towards his friend who rolled his eyes slightly.

Cassie watched the interaction between the two of them before she lifted an eyebrow. “Smitten?” she quipped, a slight smirk on her face.

Fernando let out a laugh before he nodded his head, moving to take his seat as he chattered happily with Cassie, something which caused Sergio, who sat at his girlfriend’s side, to flash him a small smile, wordlessly thanking him for trying to make Cassie feel a little more comfortable.

~#~
“So, was it as bad as you were expecting?” Sergio posed as he stepped up behind Cassie, his arms gently wrapping around her waist. It had been a pleasant night, after Cassie had relaxed a little, the group had enjoyed a nice dinner which had flowed with comfortable conversation, and Sergio was pleased with how it had gone, even if Cassie had been a little quieter than usual. He was pleased that she had gotten along well with his friends.

Cassie shook her head. “It was a nice night” she mused softly “Fernando and Olalla are very nice and I am glad that we did it. You were right, again” she added, a playful smile appearing at the corner of her mouth.

Sergio snorted out a laugh. “I can be right from time to time” he teased softly.

Cassie rolled her eyes slightly before she spotted Olalla padding towards the two of them, causing her to pull away from Sergio and pad towards her, quickly engaging her in conversation.

Sergio smiled a little as he watched her before he felt a hand nudge his shoulder, causing him to lift his head, flicking his attention towards Fernando who stood beside him, an amused smirk fixed on his features.

“Fernando…”

“You’re smitten” Fernando interjected softly “I mean, I thought you were before I met her, but watching the two of you together? You really are smitten with her, aren’t you?” he poked, his voice bright and amused.

Sergio merely rolled his eyes.

Fernando chuckled at his reaction before he lifted his hand, patting his shoulder once more. “She’s good for you, hombre” he enthused softly "She’s bright, funny and I think you could do a lot worse. You should try and keep her around” he quipped before he padded towards his wife, ushering her away towards their car.

Sergio watched them go for a second before he shifted his attention, fixing it on Cassie who stood a little away from him, typing something into her phone. Pausing for a second, he allowed his dark eyes to admire her before he quirked a small smile, knowing that Fernando had a point.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Jayme112234 and FootieJo for the comments :)