Somebody Like Me

Twenty Five: You Can Talk To Me

Letting out a small sigh, Cassie pulled the material of her sweater a little more around herself as she padded through her apartment, her ears filled with the repetitive sound of the doorbell which rang through the air. It was still early, after spending the night finishing up a few pieces of work, she’d opted to get an early night, and she was slightly irked by the idea of a visitor, even if it wasn’t late. A part of her had been hoping to spend the night curled up beneath the duvet without any sort of distraction.

Smoothing out her hair slightly, she spared a brief glance towards the mirror which hung in the hall before she placed her hand on the door handle, pulling it open to Sergio who stood on the other side, a soft expression gracing his features. “Sergio” she squeaked softly “I…I wasn’t expecting to see you” she babbled, her green eyes quickly dropping down towards her feet.

Sergio, who’d been quietly admiring her, tilted his head. “You didn’t get my text?” he posed.

Cassie shook her head. “I wanted an early night” she mused with a small shrug.

Sergio offered her a small glance before he shook his head, jutting his thumb over his shoulder. “I can go” he offered “I mean, if you want to get an early night, I can head home and we can…”

“It’s alright” Cassie interrupted, cutting off his babbling “You came all the way here” she added, offering him a slight smile. It felt strange, after the way they’d left things between them, it felt awkward and tense, but Cassie knew that she couldn’t simply duck away from it, even if she didn’t like the awkwardness, she knew that they needed to talk sooner rather than later.

Sergio spared her a soft look, wordlessly asking her if she was sure, something which made Cassie smile a little before she ducked forwards, gently slotting their fingers together before she tugged on his hand, guiding him through her apartment towards the living room. Sergio followed after her, his eyes admiring her quietly before he gently shifted his arms, wrapping them around her as he pulled her into a soft hug.

Cassie jumped, not quite expecting the soft hug, but she was quick to wrap her arms around him in response, holding him close for a couple of seconds before she leant back slightly, her fingertips gently pushing a few loose strands of hair off of his forehead. “I’m sorry” she murmured “For the last couple of days, I’ve been an awful girlfriend and I’m sorry for it. I’ve been avoiding you and that was…that was silly” she mumbled quietly.

Sergio, who’d been watching the movements of her hand, gently reached his up, capturing her wrist before he gently pulled it down, allowing him to press a soft kiss against her palm. “I’m sorry for scaring you” he mumbled softly “I mean, I should have known that it was too fast and…”

“You didn’t mean it?” Cassie interrupted.

Sergio blinked, slightly surprised by the interruption, before he shook his head. “Of course I meant it” he noted firmly “I am sure of how I feel about you, but I should have realized that this…this is all happening very quickly and that that is pretty scary, Cass” he explained softly.

Cassie allowed his words to hang in the air for a couple of moments before she nodded her head. “It is scary” she agreed softly “I mean, only a few months ago, we were both insisting that we weren’t looking for something serious and now…now we’re in a relationship and we’re expecting peanut and it’s…it’s going to take a little getting used to” she mused softly, her green eyes peeking up towards him slightly.

“Of course it is” Sergio agreed, squeezing her wrist softly “But you do want to get used to it, don’t you?” he asked, his voice soft and slightly timid.

Cassie quirked a small smile at the tone of his voice before she nodded her head. “I do, Sergio” she mused softly.

Sergio admired the warm smile she wore before he carefully stepped towards her, wrapping her in another soft hug. “You know, the next time something like this happens, you can just talk to me rather than avoid me” he mumbled softly, his arms gently offering her a soft squeeze “I mean, I know that things are still very new between us, but I like to think that you know that if you have a worry or a problem, then you can talk to me, Cass. It’s sort of a big part of trying to make this thing between us work” he added, a slightly playful smile pulling at the corner of his mouth.

He didn’t want to fight with her, things were between them were still quite new and he didn’t blame her for ducking away from him for a little while, but he wanted to encourage her to talk to him in the future, wanting her to know that she could trust him.

Cassie mulled his words over quietly before she gently pulled away from him, her green eyes searching his face. “I’m worried” she murmured softly.

Sergio tilted his head. “About what?” he posed, his voice warm and encouraging.

Cassie spared him another soft look before she shook her head, a sigh falling out of her mouth. “What if this falls apart when peanut comes?” she posed, motioning between the two of them softly “I mean, until we found out about peanut, neither of us was looking for something serious and now…”

“I love you, Cassie” Sergio interrupted softly.

Cassie blinked a couple of times, surprised by the sound of his voice, before she shook her head, something which caused Sergio to step towards her, his hand gently cupping her cheek. “You’re right” he mumbled softly “Things between us changed suddenly and a lot of that is due to us finding out about peanut, but that’s not skewed the way I feel about you, Cassie. Yes, I love that you’re pregnant, but I also love you and that’s not something which is just going to change once our baby arrives. I’m pretty smitten with you, Cassie” he added, his voice warm and soft.

Cassie looked at him, wordlessly asking if he was sure, before she shook her head, something which caused Sergio to lean into her, stealing a couple of light kisses. “You’re allowed to be worried about us, Cass” he murmured between soft kisses “I mean, I am worried too, but I like us and I want us to make this work. Is that something you want too?” he posed softly, his dark eyes searching her greens.

Cassie was quiet for a couple of seconds before she gently reached her hands up, placing them at the back of his neck before she gently pulled him into a soft kiss. Sergio startled, not quite expecting the soft kiss, before he wrapped his arms around her, holding her close to him for a moment before she ducked back, offering him a slightly impish smile. “I love you too, Sergio” she mused softly.

Sergio tilted his head. “Huh?” he spluttered.

Cassie giggled a little before she pecked his lips. “I love you” she repeated softly.

Sergio allowed those three words to linger for a brief moment before he ducked his head, capturing her in another soft kiss which caused Cassie to smile softly. She knew that things were going to take a little getting used to, the change in the dynamic between them had been sizeable and was bound to take some getting used to, but she was optimistic. They were good together and she was hopeful they’d keep it that way.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Jayme112234 and FootieJo for the comments :)