Somebody Like Me

Twenty Nine: What Matters To Me

“You remember that we have an appointment with Elsa this afternoon, don’t you?”

Sergio, who was stood beside the bathroom sink, rolled his eyes slightly at the sound of Cassie’s question before he lifted his head, sparing her a small amused smile. It had been a couple of weeks, after their run in with Hector, things had been pretty settled and quiet between the two of them, and Sergio was pleased by it, even if they did still have the odd awkward moment or babbled sentence between them, he liked how settled things were becoming between them. He knew that things would change, once the baby had arrived, the dynamic between them was likely to shift quite a bit, but he was confident that they’d figure out a way to cope, even if it wasn’t all smooth sailing. He liked them and wanted to keep things together for as long as he could.

“Of course I remember, Cass” he quipped, spitting the toothpaste into the sink “You’ve told me 3 or 4 times since I woke up” he added, wiping his mouth slightly.

Cassie, who was sat at the foot of the bed as she pulled her shoes onto her feet, rolled her eyes. “I just want to make sure that you remember” she noted softly “I mean, it’s sort of an important one and I’d like you to be there” she added gently

Sergio, who’d padded into the bedroom, quirked a small smile before he stepped towards her, pressing a soft kiss against her head. “I know it is an important appointment, Cass” he mumbled “I mean, your 20-week-scan is a huge deal, and I’d not miss it. I can’t wait to see peanut again” he mumbled, his dark eyes settling on her pronounced bump. It still felt a little odd, the idea that they were only a few months away from the arrival of their son or daughter, but Sergio was excited, even if Cassie’s pregnancy had caught the two of them by surprise. He couldn’t wait for the baby to make his or her first appearance.

Cassie smiled a little at the soft expression he wore before she gently tilted her head up, pressing a soft kiss against his lips before she gently leant back, keeping her forehead against his. “Have you thought about whether or not you want to find out the sex?” she posed quietly, not wanting to disturb the quietness which filled the room around them.

Sergio shrugged his shoulders a little before he gently lifted his hand, tucking a loose piece of dark hair behind her ear. “I don’t mind” he mused softly “I mean, from a practical point of view, finding out might make decorating a nursery slightly easier, but I’d be happy if you wanted to wait. All that matters to me right now is that mama and baby are doing alright” he fussed.

Cassie’s cheeks warmed a little at the word ‘mama’ something which made Sergio chuckle a little before he dipped down, kissing the warm skin gently. “I’ll leave the decision up to you, nena” he mused softly “But I do need to get going. I’ll see you at the hospital?” he quipped as he moved to collect his kit bag from beside the dresser.

Cassie nodded her head softly. “Of course” she mused softly “I’ll see you later” she added, flashing him a soft smile.

~#~
“So, Cassie, how are you feeling?” Elsa mused as she moved to sit down at her desk, her eyes settling on Cassie who sat opposite her, anxiously checking her phone for what the midwife assumed was a message from her boyfriend. They were slightly ahead of schedule, with a couple of appointments having been cancelled, Elsa had been able to fit Cassie in slightly earlier than they’d planned and it meant that Sergio had yet to arrive, something she could see made the brunette slightly nervous.

Cassie, who’d been checking her phone, lifted her head at the sound of the midwife’s question before she shrugged. “I’m feeling alright” she mused softly “I mean, I get a little more tired now and I’m suffering from a few aches pains, but nothing is too bad. I’m doing everything that you suggested I should” she explained gently.

Elsa nodded her head. “You’re progressing really well, Cassie” she mused softly “I’ve looked over the latest rounds of tests and I’m very happy with how things are progressing. I’d like to do a scan just to make sure, but you should be pretty happy, Cassie” she enthused warmly.

Cassie, who’d shifted her focus back towards her phone, hesitated for a second before she nodded her head. “Alright” she mused softly as she pushed herself up to her feet, moving to take a seat on the bed which stood a little away from her.

Elsa offered her a small smile before she gently moved to scoot her shirt up, revealing her bump.

“I’ve not missed it have I?”

Cassie, who’d been watching Elsa smooth the gel over her bump, startled at the sound of Sergio’s voice before she lifted her head, offering him a relieved smile. “You haven’t” she quipped “But you’re cutting it pretty fine” she added, gesturing towards the seat beside her.

Sergio returned her smile gently before he sat down beside her, his hand gently moving to take a hold of hers.

Elsa smiled a little at the small interaction before she gently ran the scanner over Cassie’s bump, allowing for the soft thumping of the baby’s heartbeat to fill the air. Sergio, who’d been mumbling quietly to Cassie, stilled a little at the sound before he lifted his head, his dark eyes peeking towards the screen which was filled with a picture which caused his breathing to stumble a little.

“Did you want to know the sex?” Elsa posed softly.

Sergio, who’d been quietly admiring the image on the screen, jumped a little at the sound of the midwife’s voice before he flicked his attention towards Cassie, wordlessly asking her what it was that she wanted to do. He was a little curious, a small part of him wanted to know whether they were expecting a son or a daughter, but he didn’t mind waiting, just as long as both Cassie and the baby were doing alright.

Cassie met the stare of Sergio’s dark eyes for a brief second before she quirked a small smile. “You know?” she asked, looking towards Elsa.

“I do” Elsa confirmed “But if you don’t want to know, I can just write it down in the file without telling you and make a note that you don’t want to know” she added gently.

Cassie briefly mulled the options over once more before she nodded her head. “I think we’d like to know” she mused softly.

Sergio tilted his head. “Are you sure?” he posed “Because if you want to wait…”

“I want to know” Cassie interrupted with a grin “And if you don’t, you can wait outside. I’ll keep it to myself” she added impishly.

Sergio spared her a mildly unimpressed look, something which made Cassie giggle a little before she turned her attention back towards Elsa. “We’d like to know” she confirmed gently.

Elsa smiled at the couple softly. “It’s a little boy” she revealed softly.

Sergio blinked. “A…A boy?” he spluttered softly.

Elsa nodded her head. “A healthy little boy” she confirmed softly “I’m going to get you two a copy of the scan and then we can talk about the next appointment. I’ll be back in a second” she enthused brightly before she stepped out of the room, leaving the couple alone.

Sergio watched the midwife out of the room for a couple of moments before he felt a hand nudge his shoulder, something which caused him to startle.

Cassie giggled a little before she shook her head. “Are you OK?” she posed softly.

Sergio nodded his head briefly before he shifted his stare, peeking down towards her bump. “It’s a boy” he breathed softly “We…we’re going to have a little boy” he added, his voice soft with awe.

Cassie smiled soft at the tone of his voice before she leant into his side, pressing a kiss against his cheek. “We are” she confirmed softly.