Somebody Like Me

Three: If I Didn’t Know Better

Gently resting her head back against the chair she sat in, Cassie let a soft sigh fall out of her mouth, trying to stifle the sensation of nausea which twitched in the pit of her stomach. It was a common feeling, for a little while the feeling of being nauseous had become a part of her day, but still it irked her, even if the feeling was only fleeting. She had been hopeful that the sensation would wear off after a couple of days.

Allowing another soft sight to fall out of her mouth, she squeezed her eyes closed for a moment before the sound of someone clearing their throat reached her ears, causing her to jump a little before she blinked her eyes open, looking up towards the woman who stood in the door way, a slightly amused grin on her face. “Am I interrupting, Cass?” she quipped playfully.

Cassie, who’d moved to sit up, rolled her eyes. “Can I help you with something, Mia?” she posed, trying to swallow the slight lump which had appeared in her throat.

Mia noticed a slight quiver in her voice, but opted against pointing it out, instead moving to sit down on the other side of Cassie’s desk. “I’ve got a delivery for you out in the front office” she mused softly “And I figured I would drop by and see what you were up to for lunch. It feels like we’ve not been out together in a while” she added gently.

“That’s because we haven’t been out together in a while” Cassie replied, a slight grin at the corner of her mouth “You’ve been too busy planning your wedding” she added, her tone bright and teasing.

Mia scoffed playfully, something which made Cassie smile before she nodded her head. “I’d love to grab some lunch, Mia” she mused softly.

“Good” Mia replied “Because I wasn’t going to take no for an answer, but, before we go, you should come and check out this delivery” she added, pushing herself back to her feet.

Cassie frowned a little, confused by her friend’s words, before she pushed herself up to her feet, pausing slightly as her stomach gave another flip. Swallowing a little, she took a second to compose herself before she moved to step out of the door, something which made Mia shake her head, making a wordless note to ask what was going on with her before she followed her out of the office, guiding her towards the front desk where a pretty bouquet of flowers stood.

“Your new boyfriend, I am guessing” she quipped.

Cassie, who’d been admiring the flowers, startled a little at the sound of Mia’s voice before she shook her head, a small hint of pink playing on her cheeks. “Mia…”

“I know that you two aren’t serious” Mia interjected, a small amused grin on her face “You’ve made that more than clear, but still he’s sent you flowers. That’s pretty cute” she added, her tone bright and playful. She knew that it was a sore topic, after things between her and Hector had ended, Cassie had become a little more defensive about her relationships, and whilst Mia didn’t want to pry, she had to admit that she was a little curious about the new man in her friend’s life, even if things weren’t serious between the two of them. She wanted to know a little more about the man had made Cassie a lot happier.

Cassie, who’d been admiring the flowers, quirked a soft smile before she nodded. “It is pretty cute” she agreed softly.

Mia admired the soft grin on her friend’s face before she gently nudged her shoulder. “Come on” she quipped “If we don’t go now, we’ll waste most of our lunch hour just standing here” she added gently.

Cassie nodded her head in agreement before she moved to pad towards the door, wordlessly making a note to send a message to Sergio in thanks for the flowers.

~#~
“So, how is the big day coming, Mia?” Cassie quipped as she sipped on her mug of tea, her eyes settled on Mia who sat opposite her, stirring milk into her coffee. It had been a nice lunch, the two of them had spent a lot of their time catching up and gossiping, and Cassie was pleased that they’d done it. It had been a while, with Mia in the midst of planning her wedding and Cassie distracted by her break up and then things with Sergio, it’d been a few months since they’d headed out to lunch together, and Cassie was glad that they had done it. It had been nice to catch up with her friend.

“It’s coming” Mia quipped with a small smile “I mean, we’re still a couple of months away from the big day, but things seem to be coming along pretty nicely, even if Theo’s mother does keep trying to throw a spanner in the works” she added with a playful roll of her eyes.

Cassie spared a small laugh before she shook her head. “She’s still not warming to you?” she posed.

“Not particularly” Mia replied “But she’s not got much of a choice. Theo and I have been together for almost 3 years and it’s pretty clear that, for the time being, I am not going anywhere anytime soon” she added.

Cassie nodded her head in agreement before the scent of the food which had been placed on the table beside theirs reached her nose, causing her stomach to give a lurch. Swallowing a little, she tried to suppress the urge to throw up before she pushed herself up to her feet, stumbling out a quick apology to Mia before she sped across the restaurant, making it to the bathroom just before she threw up.

“Cassie?”

Cassie, who’d moved to rest against the wall of the stall she sat in, looked up at the sound of Mia’s voice before she shook her head. “Lo siento” she mumbled softly.

Mia, who’d sat down beside her, shook her head before she handed her a bottle of water. “It’s OK” she mused softly “Are you alright?” she added.

Cassie shrugged. “I don’t quite know what is up with me” she mumbled “I mean, for a little while now, I’ve felt a little off and I am still not sure what’s causing it” she added, taking a sip from the bottle which Mia had placed in her hand.

Mia allowed her words to hang in the air for a second before she shook her head. “If I didn’t know better, I’d say that you’re pregnant” she quipped.

Cassie lifted her head, Mia’s words ringing in her ears, before she blinked a couple of times, something which made Mia tilt her head. “Cassie?” she posed.

Cassie swallowed a little, but didn’t utter a word, something which caused Mia to shake her head. “You think…you could be?” she babbled.

Cassie offered her a soft look before she gingerly nodded her head. “I…It’s not impossible” she mumbled softly.

Mia stared at her for a couple of seconds, letting her words settle in, before she shifted her hand, offering Cassie’s a gentle squeeze. “We’ll need to go out and get a test” she mumbled softly “I’ll buy one after work and I’ll come over. You and not your boyfriend, you don’t have plans tonight, do you?” she posed.

Cassie shook her head, something which encouraged Mia to offer her hand another gentle squeeze, wordlessly assuring her that things would be fine.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to FootieJo and Jayme112234 for the comments :)