Somebody Like Me

Thirty One: You’re What Makes Me Happy

“Are you sure that you’d not prefer sit with the other wives and girlfriends?”

Cassie, who’d moved to pull a pair of shoes, jumped a little at the sound of Sergio’s voice before she lifted her head, her green eyes settling on where he stood in the doorway, a small amused smile playing at the corner of his mouth.

It had been a little while, after their conversation about their future, a few weeks had passed, and Cassie had to admit that she was proud of the way things going between the two of them, even if they did still have the odd bump, she liked how settled things were between them. She knew that things were going to change, when their son arrived, the dynamic between them was likely to shift slightly, but she was confident that they’d figure it out. They were good together, settled, and she wanted to keep things that way.

“I’m sure” Cassie replied softly “I mean, I would do, but I said that I’d cover for a friend of mine in writing the match report and that means I ought to be sat somewhere where I’d be able to focus on the game, something I don’t think I’ll be able to do around the other wives and girlfriends” she added softly as she fastened her shoe, her green eyes purposefully avoiding his stare.

She knew that he was excited, from the moment that she had suggested that she would be at Real Madrid’s final match of the season, he’d not stopped grinning, but still she remained slightly apprehensive, even if she knew that she would be sat away from the other families, a small part of her was slightly nervous about the prospect of meeting his friends. It was something she had put off, with the baby to focus on and their developing relationship, she had opted to duck out of meeting his friends for a while, but she knew that she couldn’t put it off forever, even if it did make her nervous. She knew that it meant a lot to Sergio.

Sergio, who’d moved to step a little further into the room, quirked a small smile at the nervous expression on her face before he sat down beside her, his hand gently moving to take a hold of her hands which fiddled with the tie on her shoe. “Are you nervous, Cassie?” he quipped, his voice warm and teasing.

Cassie scoffed, something which made Sergio shake his head lightly before he leant towards her, pressing a kiss against her cheek. “You know that you have no reason to be right?” he mused softly.

“Sergio…”

“They’re my friends, Cassie” Sergio interrupted softly “They’re nice people and you have no reason to be concerned about meeting them. I am sure that they’ll do whatever they can do to make you feel welcome, nena” he fussed, his thumb softly brushing over the back of her hand. He knew that she was nervous, whenever he bought up the idea of her meeting his friends, she tended to get a little shy and nervous, and he wanted to offer her a little encouragement, even if he couldn’t alleviate her nerves entirely, he wanted to reassure her that she didn’t have a thing to worry about.

Cassie, who’d been quietly peeking down towards their hands, mulled his words over quietly before she shook her head. “You can’t know that for sure” she mumbled softly.

Sergio quirked a small smile at the nervousness in her voice before he leant towards her, pressing another soft kiss against her cheek. “You’re right, I don’t know it for certain” he agreed with a small nod “But I do know that they’re not going to make it hard for you on purpose. They’re good people, Cassie, they’re my friends, and they’re excited about meeting you. You’ve kept them waiting for a while” he added with a teasing smile.

Cassie rolled her eyes softly, something which encouraged Sergio to lean into her, sneaking a quick kiss. “They want me to be happy, Cass” he mumbled softly “After things with Pilar ended, they encouraged me to find something or someone to make me happy and I don’t know if you noticed it, but you kind of do that, both of you” he added, his hand gently shifting over her bump.

Cassie watched his hand for a brief second before she tilted her head, offering him a slightly impish grin. “We make you happy?” she quipped, her voice caught between teasing and curious.

Sergio rolled his eyes playfully before he nodded. “You do” he confirmed “I mean, you worry more than you should, and you sometimes talk a little too much, but I kind of love you for it” he added, offering her a bright impish smile as he playfully tickled her side.

Cassie shifted a little, trying to evade his fingers, before she let out a soft a giggle, a sound which caused the smile on Sergio’s face to widen a little before he carefully leant towards her, pressing a soft kiss against the side of her head. “You really don’t have anything to worry about” he mumbled softly “I’m sure that they’ll love you, Cass, how can they not?” he repeated softly, his fingers gently tucking a loose strand of dark hair behind her ear before he carefully ducked down, pressing another kiss against her head.

Cassie closed her eyes briefly at the contact before she turned her head, offering him a small smile. “I’ve got to write the report” she mumbled softly “But once the game is over with, I’ll come and meet them” she added softly.

Sergio offered her a bright smile before he peeked down towards his watch, a small sigh falling out of his mouth. “I have to get going” he mused softly “But I will see you after the match, right?” he posed as he pushed himself up to his feet, moving to collect his bag which had been neatly stowed beside Cassie’s dresser.

Cassie nodded her head. “Of course you will” she enthused brightly “Good luck tonight” she added, flashing him a wide smile.

Sergio marveled at the sight of the smile on her face before he leant into her, pressing a soft kiss against her lips. “I love you, Cassie” he mumbled as he ducked back slightly, his brown eyes searching her greens.

Cassie’s cheeks warmed a little. She doubted that she would ever get tired of hearing him say those three words to her. Offering him a small smile, she gently kissed him again before she leant back gently. “I love you too, Sergio” she mumbled softly.

Sergio spared her another bright grin before he pulled away slightly, moving to pull his bag over his shoulder before he ducked out of the room, musing about looking forwards to introducing her to his friends, something which caused Cassie to sigh a little. She knew that it was only a little step, compared to her pregnancy and meeting one another’s parents, the idea of being introduced properly to his friends was only a small step in the right direction, but still she was slightly apprehensive, even if Sergio had been quick to assure her that there was nothing to be worried about, she doubted that she would shift her nerves easily.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Jayme112234 and FootieJo for the comments :)