Somebody Like Me

Thirty Three: Before You Know It

“You know, peanut isn’t going to come along for another few months yet. Are you sure that this is how you want to spend your vacation?”

Sergio, who’d moved to settle a couple of tins of paint down on the floor of Cassie’s spare bedroom, lifted his head a little before he spared her a slightly crooked grin, something which made Cassie shake her head a little, an amused expression perched on her face. It had been a little while, after she had met his teammates, a few weeks had passed, and with Cassie having a couple of days off of work, Sergio had opted to make a start on the nursery for their son, something which pleased Cassie. She knew that they still had a way to go, the baby wasn’t due for another few months, but she was pleased that he wanted to make a start. It was simply another step in preparing for the arrival of their little boy.

“As it stands, I’m going to have to decorate two nurseries, Cass” Sergio quipped as he padded back out into the hall, returning with a couple of rolls of wallpaper “And I figured I should probably get a start on them soon. I’ve got a few weeks off for the summer break and I think it is probably the right sort of time to get a jump on them. You’ve got somewhere else you need to be?” he posed, quirking another amused smile.

Cassie, who was sat on a stepstool a little away from him, rolled her eyes a little before she shook her head. “You know that I don’t have other plans” she quipped “But you’re supposed to be on vacation. Don’t you want to head away or something?” she posed, offering him a slightly curious look.

Sergio mulled her words over for a second before he shook his head, offering her another small smile as he gently reached his hands out, knotting them with hers. “He’s going to be here before we know it” he mused softly “I mean, I know your due date isn’t until the beginning of September, it won’t be too long before I am wrapped up in pre-season and then the early part of next season and I don’t want to leave everything until the last minute. I want to feel at least slightly prepared for him” he added, his brown eyes marveling at her bump.

Cassie admired the warm smile that he wore for a brief second before she gently leant up slightly, pressing a soft kiss against his lips. “You’re pretty cute, you know that?” she fussed softly, her fingers gently pushing a few strands of dark hair off of his forehead.

Sergio quirked a small smile at her compliment before he stole another brief kiss, moving away towards the paint. “Are you going to stick around and help?” he posed, carefully pouring a little of the paint into a tray.

Cassie shrugged. “I’ve not got anything else to do with my day off” she mused softly “I suppose that I can lend a hand for peanut” she added warmly.

Sergio rolled his eyes slightly but smiled nevertheless, more than content with the way things were between him and Cassie. He knew that it wasn’t likely to remain so straightforward forever, eventually he and Cassie were going to fight or hit a bump, but he wanted to enjoy the honeymoon period whilst it lasted. Things were good between them, they were settled and happy, and Sergio liked it that way, even if their relationship had come along as a bit of a surprise. He was glad that he and Cassie had gotten things together.

~#~
Gently rubbing her hand over her bump, Cassie let out a soft sigh, trying to soothe the small bout of kicks which twitched in her stomach. It wasn’t the first time, since the baby had started to move, he had proven to be quite active, and whilst Cassie loved the idea that her son was moving, she often found herself slightly uncomfortable, something which irked her a little.

Allowing another gentle sigh to fall out of her mouth, she gently brushed her hand over her bump before the sound of Sergio clearing his throat reached her ears, causing her to lift her head, glancing towards where he stood in the door way, a small sympathetic smile playing at the corner of his mouth. “You alright?” he posed softly.

Cassie mulled his question over for a brief second before she shrugged her shoulders softly. “Your son is an active little thing” she mumbled softly “Every now and again, he really starts to move and it makes me a little uncomfortable, but it isn’t anything I can’t handle” she added, not missing the slightly concerned expression that had passed over Sergio’s face.

Sergio offered her a small look, wordlessly asking her if she was sure, before he carefully moved to settle down beside her, his hand gently resting on her lower back. “He’s clearly my son” he mused softly, his fingers lightly skimming up and down her back “I mean, my madre always told me that I was an active baby and clearly he’s already inherited that trait from his papi” he added, a small smile tweaking the corner of his mouth as the word ‘papi’ fell out of it.

It still felt a little strange, the idea that Cassie was expecting their son was still one which felt a little unfamiliar to him, but he had to admit that he was excited, even if her pregnancy had come along out of the blue. He was counting down the days until their little boy made his first appearance.

Cassie smiled softly at the feeling of his fingers against her back before she gently leant into his side, her head gently resting against his shoulder.

Sergio smiled a little at the soft embrace before he carefully turned his head, pressing a gentle kiss against the top of her head. “What do you think about the name Nicolas?” he mumbled, disturbing the comfortable quiet which had settled over the two of them.

Cassie, who’d moved to fuss with the lace of Sergio’s shoe, stilled a little before she lifted her head, a curious look on her face. “You’re thinking of names?” she quipped, her voice slightly amused.

Sergio scoffed. “You know that we’re going to need one right?” he quipped, playing along “I mean, I personally like the sound of Peanut Ramos Gomes, but I think we might need to come up with a couple of alternatives” he added, his fingers nimbly tickling her sides.

Cassie squirmed a little, trying to evade his fingers, before she let out a soft laugh, something which caused Sergio to dip his head forwards, pressing a soft kiss against her shoulder. “Do you have any names in mind?” he posed quietly “I mean, we don’t need to come up with one right now, but it wouldn’t hurt to have a couple of ideas” he babbled softly.

Cassie smiled a little at the babbling tone of his voice before she shook her head. “I’ve not give it a lot of thought yet” she mused softly “I mean, I know you’re not going to allow me to call him Gerard Lionel, but aside from that, I’ve not thought about it a lot. You have?” she posed as she tilted her head, her green eyes meeting his darker ones. It was sweet, the way he fussed over her and her bump, and Cassie was sure that a part of her would miss it when the baby came along. Part of her had grown to love the way Sergio fussed over her.

Sergio shrugged. “I’ve got a couple in mind” he noted softly.

“Can I hear them?” Cassie posed, a warm smile on her face.

Sergio paused for a second before he nodded his head. “I like the name Mateo” he mused softly “But I also like names like Noah or Samuel. I’ve got a list of names somewhere that I’d noted down” he explained, his cheeks warming slightly.

Cassie admired the soft hint of pink on his cheeks before she leant forwards, ghosting a couple of kisses over his cheeks. “I like that you’re thinking ahead, Sese” she murmured softly.

Sergio tilted his head. “Sese?” he quipped.

Cassie blushed a little before she shook her head. “I don’t have to call you that” she mused “I just…”

“I like it, Cass” he interjected “It was just a bit of a surprise. We’ve been together for months now and you’ve never called me anything aside from Sergio” he mused softly.

Cassie shook her head softly before she shrugged gently. “Maybe I’m getting a little comfortable around you” she mused, playfully prodding his cheek.

Sergio shook his head, capturing her hand gently in his before he pressed a gentle kiss against it “Maybe you are” Sergio quipped “And maybe that’s not the worst thing. I’m sort of in love with you” he added, a crooked grin on her face.

Cassie giggled softly before she gently leant into him, sneaking a soft kiss which wordlessly returned the sentiment.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to FootieJo and Jayme112234 for the comments :)